Model Cars Magazine Forum

Someone Reacted

Brutalform

3 hours ago, peteski said:

"Efficient?!" I Love it!  That has to be one of the greatest excuses of all times. :D :D

And I'm going to go and give you all 3 flavors of "likes" that are available!!  Way to go Rob!

EDIT: Darn!  I can only give one of the three.  Not fair!! I gave you a nice trophy - thanks for the laugh.

Haven't had a good laugh in awhile. Unfortunately its another link in the chain of dumbing down society.

The like button is a joke . Its hard to believe that the current implementation makes it more so.

Finally on the side of being efficient let's all just grunt and make odd noises. We are communicating in a fashion , its immaterial that the other person can not understand us.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Haven't had a good laugh in awhile. Unfortunately its another link in the chain of dumbing down society.

The like button is a joke . Its hard to believe that the current implementation makes it more so.

Finally on the side of being efficient let's all just grunt and make odd noises. We are communicating in a fashion , its immaterial that the other person can understand us.

I mildly disagree with that. A lot of times, I like something, but just don't know what to say. For as much as I use written communication, I get tongue-tied more often than I'd like. For these situations, the like button is perfect. 

One interesting aspect of this is they expect you to only have one emotion at a time. Sometimes things are both funny and sad, or likeable and confusing. We can't capture all of them with the buttons. Gotta use a reply for that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

By the way is there a way to turn off the react notifications. 

Yes. Click your name in the upper right, and go to account settings. Under other settings, click notifications, and under notifications, click Mentions and My Content. You can turn them off there. (I swear they hide all the useful settings by design)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

You can turn them off there. (I swear they hide all the useful settings by design)

They really do.  Not sure why. Maye the developers want users to spend more time looking for all the hidden settings.  Kind of like looking for Easter eggs. :wacko:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peteski said:

They really do.  Not sure why. Maye the developers want users to spend more time looking for all the hidden settings.  Kind of like looking for Easter eggs. :wacko:

Hey its more important to add rockets to our avatars than to make the site easier to use. 

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I mildly disagree with that. A lot of times, I like something, but just don't know what to say. For as much as I use written communication, I get tongue-tied more often than I'd like. For these situations, the like button is perfect. 

One interesting aspect of this is they expect you to only have one emotion at a time. Sometimes things are both funny and sad, or likeable and confusing. We can't capture all of them with the buttons. Gotta use a reply for that. 

Dave I would agree with you if one would know who reacted because it would be a shortcut. Unfortunately the way its been implemented its not a meaningful shortcut. However even with the feedback I still rather have real comments so on I know whos commenting.

I also think that the software needs to quote without all the pictures or be able to select. I think that we get the quotes with all the pictures because. its a pain to edit them out of a quote. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I also think that the software needs to quote without all the pictures or be able to select. I think that we get the quotes with all the pictures because. its a pain to edit them out of a quote. 

That used to really bug me, but the new forum version hides lengthy quotes (you have to click on a down arrow on the quote to fully expand it). So now the replies with dozen of quoted photos no longer bug me.  But even before, it wasn't really difficult to delete (or even resize) the quoted photos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, bill_rules said:

....sounds good to me, but then I hate typing hence the low post count.....but I do read the posts, not just look at the pretty pictures......

I was honestly wondering what your point was.

apparently, according to “bobthehobbyguy” they don’t affect the post count at all, so I was curious as to what you thought the impact of emoticons was on post count and why it matters.

Honestly, I don’t know if your feeling is that post counts are too high, or not high enough.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

All one needs to do is hold the left mouse button and drag along the desired text, release the mouse button when the desired portion of text is highlighted and a "Quote selection" box appears under the highlighted text. Click the box and the highlighted text will appear as a quote in your response. That's how I quoted you without the other part of your comment. It doesn't get easier than that. This is accomplished without the ridiculous copying of extraneous items like photos and other unnecessary text.

Edited by SfanGoch
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

All one needs to do is hold the left mouse button and drag along the desired text, release the mouse button when the desired portion of text is highlighted and a "Quote selection" box appears under the highlighted text. Click the box and the highlighted text will appear as a quote in your response. That's how I quoted you without the other part of your comment. It doesn't get easier than that. This is accomplished without the ridiculous copying of extraneous items like photos and other unnecessary text.

That makes perfect sense to me (and I do that too), but more and more members are accessing the forum on their portable mouse-less "smart" (and I use that term very loosely) devices. It seems that many features that are available on a PC with a mouse are not available on those touch-screen devices.  Maybe they can't just select/click? I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to just add my 3 cents here, and you can feel free to be like my wife, and completely disregard it if you want. 

A few things to consider...

First, sometimes folks on this forum view posts on other devices than a computer, and without a proper keyboard typing something may not be the best option at that moment. I still want to be able to give people kudos or encouragement, even if I can't type something out. 

Some folks are simply not as "chatty" as others. There are a lot of members here that have been here a long time, and despite frequently logging in, have a fraction of content that others have. They may be no less interested in the hobby than you or I, and certainly of no less value than any other member because they do not type as much. 

To those that are against the reaction options, do tell me, have you never flipped someone the bird, given a friend a high five, or given someone a thumbs up for that sweet ride their in? Those are "reactions" in non-verbal communication. Was it because at THAT moment, it just seemed the most appropriate thing to do? How is that different? 

To me, not "liking" the reaction buttons is fine, but calling someone lazy for using it, or basically insulting those that use them, is just one more way of saying that someone that uses it is "wrong", and "THEY" must have a problem. Why not appreciate that person that took the time to like all 10 of your pictures rather than complain about them? At least acknowledged that they took the time to look at all your pictures, and maybe all 10 DID appeal to them, and they wanted you to know. Take it as the "good will" that it intended, and move along. it comes across very much like the "cool" kids laughing at someone who is actually inspired by them. 

I see people here who's skills and models I respect, but sometimes the responses and treatment of others is just downright ugly. Most of us come here for what we have in common, a model place to share ideas, inspiration, support etc. but lately, it is laden with tons of snarky responses, comments that are clearly discouraging, or comments about why the "other person's way" of doing something is wrong, or just down right discouraging. Don't we all get enough of that carp in the "real world" already? I know I do.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

To those that are against the reaction options, do tell me, have you never flipped someone the bird, given a friend a high five, or given someone a thumbs up for that sweet ride their in? Those are "reactions" in non-verbal communication.

LOL, yes I have done all those things, but they are also followed (or preceded) by a verbal response (especially when flipping a bird). :D

As far as giving someone thumbs-up on their cool ride (when we pass on the street), that is a non-verbal communication only because I can't easily give them my verbal kudos.  If we were in a situation where I could speak to them, I would most certainly give them a verbal response.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

To those that are against the reaction options, do tell me, have you never flipped someone the bird, given a friend a high five, or given someone a thumbs up for that sweet ride their in? Those are "reactions" in non-verbal communication. Was it because at THAT moment, it just seemed the most appropriate thing to do? How is that different?

I have done these things as well.

The difference is that when they're done, they are not completely anonymous.

I get it, I might not know who the person is that just flipped me the bird, but at least I get to see their face when they do it.

If I high five a friend, or give a thumbs up to somebody for their ride, I "want" them to know who I am.

Emoticons, as currently configured on this site, are completely impersonal.

It's hard to pay any attention to a response when one doesn't know who it's from.

Call me crazy, but I kind of like knowing who I'm communicating with.

By the way, if someone flips me the bird, I do my best to ignore that as well. ;)

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My goodness! The verbal wrangling goes on and on in this thread, doesn't it just!

Good job most of the replies to the posts are actually in words as it has been a very amusing read.

I think I might now feel the need to use the like button, or no, maybe an emoticon or........?

Maybe we all just need to agree to differ.

Ahh what the hell!     Nobody will take any notice this post anyway.       LOL guys!

😂 😀 😊 😀😁😃😄😅😆😇😇

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Haha 1

• Xingu locked this topic