Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have now decided I want to take up airbrushing models.

There is no definitive what to use and how to use it.

Best thing to do is search Google and Youtube , read and watch as much you want. But in the end, its about working out your budget and what you think will work for you. 

Personally I learnt a lot from Don's site when I first looked into using an airbrush. He has done a lot of testing with all the various airbrush brands.

Dons Airbrush Tips

Again il recommend this guy, his channel is full of lots of information.

Barbatos Rex

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Plumcrazy Preston said:

I already have a DeWalt 1-gallon compressor with a Craftsmen water filter I paid $150 for 5 years ago. It goes up to 150 psi and has a pressure regulator dial. It's for staple guns and house painting. Do I need special equipment to hook up hobby airbrushes to a standard homeowner's compressor? 

I had not seen this part yesterday. You absolutely can use that compressor and I personally recommend a more robust compressor like that if you consider the Paasche H. Here is why, many airbrushes today are restricted on airflow internally. Some leading brands too. The H is not not, you set the gauge to 50 psi it will flow nearly 50 psi ( minus the drop from flow itself down the lines versus static pressure). A Point Zero regulator with water trap will cost about $12 and you can run that at you paint area as secondary regulator. But if you want to run off the compressor you can get an adapter for Paasche to 1/4" right at Amazon and run a 1/4"  connector nipple on your Paasche hose that will plug right into your Dewalt.

The whole Paasche kit with three tips, two bottles and metal side cup plus the tool kit is $67 at Amazon. The stripped down versions run $49 or so. I can attest to you drop an H on the floor and it just keeps on ticking lol. It's a lifetime investment. Though my main brush for 40 years was the Badger 200 ( original not the later designation with an H designation that takes the 105 tips and stuff but screw ins) has been a work horse too, I've designated that my fine brush with .25 needle for lacquers and fine work with it's ultra fine atomization and keep the H going for enamels and acrylic paints. But you can do everything needing done with an H and that Dewalt compressor. I use an 8 gal Husky myself.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:17 PM, Plumcrazy Preston said:

I already have a DeWalt 1-gallon compressor with a Craftsmen water filter I paid $150 for 5 years ago. It goes up to 150 psi and has a pressure regulator dial. It's for staple guns and house painting. Do I need special equipment to hook up hobby airbrushes to a standard homeowner's compressor? 

Ok here is a different take on the subject.  I have a Craftsmen Black pancake compressor that goes to 175 psi.  It is pushing 15 year old and still going strong.  I tried for years using the built in pressure regulator and even added a second one to get it more exact.  I really find that the adjustment of those is not really fine enough for airbrushes.  There is a new piece on the market that I am using now and absolutely love it.  I am sure there are valves from other manufactures like this but I am now using an Iwata MAC(Micro Adjust Control) external valve.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Iwata-External-MAC-Valve.html 

I like it because it attaches directly to the airbrush and allows me very fine control when I am doing a test with the brush.  It is about 2 turns from full off to full on.  It also allows me to run a full 175 psi in the line up to the valve.  This is an advantage when cleaning the brush I can run a serious blast of air through it to clear out any bits and pieces of paint.  Well worth the investment, especially if you are running a home compressor like you are.  

Now for the airbrush.  I currently own 5 different airbrushes that I have collected over the last 30 years and each does something that the others don't.  My oldest brush is the one I recommend for people just starting out.  It is the Badger 175 crescendo.  I recommend this because it is a reasonably priced brush, but choose the right kit and it comes with three sized needles and tips which will give you far more options than every other brush that I am aware of.   The largest is great for large areas like your trucks. I use it for painting very large models like 1/12 scale race cars. It is also a siphon feed brush that will take any "airbrush" bottle, some of which are quite large.  I always keep a bottle of thinner around and blow that through the brush when I have finished with one color.   It has been my work horse for a long time and I like to give someone starting out options so they don't get frustrated with buying a brush that can't adapt to their needs.  http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Crescendo_175.asp

Edited by Pete J.

I bought my Paasche H about 6 months ago online somewhere just don't remember where.  I think they were running a special and I got it for $59 and FREE shipping. It came with two plastic bottles and they are ok.  I'd rather have glass.  The air compressor I've had for some time.  For acrylics I normally set it at 22 psi and the working pressure is about 18 psi.  I was going to buy a moisture filter but never got around to it.  Haven't had any issues but I still need to get one.    

20210912_101544_resized.jpg

20210912_101603_resized.jpg

20210426_081751.jpg

Edited by Zippi

6 hours ago, Zippi said:

I bought my Paasche H about 6 months ago online somewhere just don't remember where.  I think they were running a special and I got it for $59 and FREE shipping. It came with two plastic bottles and they are ok.  I'd rather have glass.

I have half a dozen glass Paasche H bottles that I bought on amazon or e-bay. If you want some be aware that the H and VL have different angles on the connectors.

4 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I have half a dozen glass Paasche H bottles that I bought on amazon or e-bay. If you want some be aware that the H and VL have different angles on the connectors.

Good info. I have two VL's and no H. Gonna hafta remember about the bottles.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:18 PM, Plumcrazy Preston said:

I will probably just use old-fashioned elbow grease and wet sand the devil out of my botched lacquer to salvage the model parts. Hopefully, the Paasche H will fill in and smooth everything out like a steam roller and shovelfuls of asphalt smooth out potholes. 

You can use 91 percent alcohol to strip testors and other hobby paints. It will not damage the plastic. To be safe you can always test first.

If you try to sand you will lose detail and you will also fill the door lines.

As to decanting paint be careful. Given your challenges I would avoid is method that requires punturing the can. You may injure yourself and no doubt make a huge mess.

Finally painting does not fix flaws it magnifies them. The secret to a quality paint job is surface prep. Your foundation for a good paint job is a good smooth defect free surface. There are no shortcuts.