Model Cars Magazine Forum

Options for semi-gloss and flat clears?

Since Testors has done away with a large portion of their hobby paints, I've seen numerous threads about what clears to use.  Most are looking for gloss clears, but I'm almost out of my Testors semi-gloss and flat clears and am looking for recommendations.  If it matters, I use enamels on almost everything, but would love to have clears that would work over acrylics and lacquers as well.

I have used both Testors and Tamiya products. I haven't had any issues with using Tamiya over a Testors paint in the past but I would still recommend a plastic spoon test before going to far on any build no matter what product you end up using. The Tamiya flat clear is just slightly glosser that the Testors flat clear and the semi-gloss is just a shade or so glosser as well. This is why I also have used a lot of Testors in the past, but as you pointed out it is going the way of the DoDo bird.  

3 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I love the Mr. Hobby clears, they're expensive but worth every penny.

Do you really think they are expensive?  I mix mine from 1:2 (maybe a little more) Clear:Thinner with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner so they seem to offer good coverage.  I love Mr. Hobby paints too.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:19 PM, Rodent said:

I like old-school Testors Dullcote, and I believe that it is still available. You may have to go to Michaels or some place like that to get it now.

I use a lot of Testors clear flat spray. I tried to order a case of it. After 2 months dealer canceled order as N/A........

I have been air brushing with Alclad 2 Gloss Klear Kote and I know they have it in several stages of clear, from gloss to matte. I have only used the gloss but I also have been using Aqua Gloss Clear, it seems to leave a bit of a satin finish that I use for the interior, 

For Rattle cans I use Rustoleam satin clear and matte clear