Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your method to the madness for clearcoating over decals on body perfectly?

1 hour ago, Plumcrazy Preston said:

Andy X doesn't even use primer in his modified Donn Yost technique. The Testors enamel and the lacquer thinner in the mix should chemically bite into model kit plastic quite readily. I would still lightly scuff the bare plastic with fine 5000-grit sandpaper before turning the paint gun on it. 

You do know that Testors enamels are discontinued don’t you? You can find them now but many colors are getting harder to find. And just for the record…primer does other things than provide a surface for paint to stick to. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plumcrazy Preston said:

Andy X doesn't even use primer in his modified Donn Yost technique. The Testors enamel and the lacquer thinner in the mix should chemically bite into model kit plastic quite readily. I would still lightly scuff the bare plastic with fine 5000-grit sandpaper before turning the paint gun on it.

Well, it appears that you've got it all figured out David.

Time to go to work.

Steve

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Plumcrazy Preston said:

I found this video a couple of years ago and did just like Andy and my paintjob came out great.  Only thing about those Testor's paints is they take a long time to cure.  So you'll have to have patience waiting for that paint to dry.  Get a dehydrator and it will go quicker.  This would be a good starter airbrush.  I got mine on sale at HL for $25.  So go ahead and get started.  The best way to learn is to do it.

Edited by jchrisf

Me too.popcorn.gif

What a saga!!!

The OP asked for advice and then doesn't want to take it. He's got a better way. This has lead to frustration for those trying to help. It seems we've gotten to this point.

dead-horse-spank.gif

Should be about time to just let it go.

Edited by DPNM
  • Like 1

For those interested, Donn Yost has a step by step paint and build tutorials that you can watch in an ongoing series of videos he posts on Patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/ScaleModelTechniques

Might well be of interest in anyone hoping to use this enamel / lacquer thinner technique successfully...

Edited by CabDriver

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

For those interested, Donn Yost has a step by step paint and build tutorials that you can watch in an ongoing series of videos he posts on Patreon:

Might well be of interest in anyone hoping to use this enamel / lacquer thinner technique successfully...

More power to him, but I'm never going to pay to watch a "how-to" modeling video.

I don't even watch You Tube videos on the subject.

It's become very apparent to me that there is way more dependable knowledge on a board like this than you're ever going to find on You Tube.

Steve

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

More power to him, but I'm never going to pay to watch a "how-to" modeling video.

I don't even watch You Tube videos on the subject.

It's become very apparent to me that there is way more dependable knowledge on a board like this than you're ever going to find on You Tube.

You don't need modelling how-tos Steve 😘

OP might find such a thing useful though...

13 hours ago, Fantom said:

You do know that Testors enamels are discontinued don’t you? You can find them now but many colors are getting harder to find. And just for the record…primer does other things than provide a surface for paint to stick to. 

Still plenty of purple at amazon.com. I better hurry and order some up before they are all gone for good. 

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Oh, those are paid YouTube videos. Ouch!! I have to pay money to listen to Donn Yost lecture? Andy X doesn't charge a penny and I hit the subscribe button. 

• Like 1

Lots of  good info here. In this thread by peopke who know what they are talking about.

Painting is an art. Rattle cans are the best way to start. Then move on to an airbrush if you want to do more advanced techniques. With airbryshes there is so nu c h mire to master. Paint to thinner ratios,  which size nozzle to use depending on, what psi to use. Rattle allow you to  focus on just getting the paint applied evenly and without runs.  As others have said its all practice, , practice,practice.

46 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Lots of  good info here. In this thread by peopke who know what they are talking about.

Painting is an art. Rattle cans are the best way to start. Then move on to an airbrush if you want to do more advanced techniques. With airbryshes there is so nu c h mire to master. Paint to thinner ratios,  which size nozzle to use depending on, what psi to use. Rattle allow you to  focus on just getting the paint applied evenly and without runs.  As others have said its all practice, , practice,practice.

Absolutely! The best way to learn how to paint is to start laying down some paint! Modify your technique/prep/materials as issues arise. There is almost NO WAY anybody’s first paint job is going to be perfect.

15 hours ago, DPNM said:

Me too.popcorn.gif

What a saga!!!

The OP asked for advice and then doesn't want to take it. He's got a better way. This has lead to frustration for those trying to help. It seems we've gotten to this point.

Yeah totally agree. 

Its hilarious to always see discussions like this one go of the rails, because one person has the skills and knowledge that is far superior than others and that give's them the right to dominate the discussion. Happens all the time as they relish in getting the last word.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Its hilarious to always see discussions like this one go of the rails, because one person has the skills and knowledge that is far superior than others and that give's them the right to dominate the discussion. Happens all the time as they relish in getting the last word.

One person's superior skills?  You either totally missed what is going on here, or are just being funny.  The person who seems to have the last word here in the unskilled member who is rejecting  the advice from skilled members.  If you are just being funny, that went way over my head.

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2021 at 8:44 AM, DPNM said:

Me too.popcorn.gif

What a saga!!!

dead-horse-spank.gif

I beg your pardon? Robdebie already suggested to me Andy X/Donn Yost on an earlier thread of mine. He is in fact a member here. I just ordered a Paasche H online and some other supplies based on HIS suggestion. 

Edited by Plumcrazy Preston

1 hour ago, Plumcrazy Preston said:

I beg your pardon? Robdebie already suggested to me Andy X/Donn Yost on an earlier thread of mine. He is in fact a member here. I just ordered a Paasche H online and some other supplies based on HIS suggestion. 

So what you are saying is Robdebie gave you advice on a different thread that you posted.

In saying that it means that you have chosen not to follow any of the advice in this thread? Why is this thread here then?

I collect airbrushes. I have a new Paasche H with all 3 needle,nozzle, air caps and a hose I know does not leak. When I first saw this post I had thought about trying to work something out with you for it. I will no longer do that as I believe if you don't get the perfect paint job the first time that you use it it will be the airbrushes fault (and that would have included me).

You can choose whichever airbrush you think will work best for you. The sad truth is it's not the airbrush. It's the skill of the person using it.

• Like 1