Model Cars Magazine Forum

New way to strip paint from bodies, safe and simple!

Remember when i answered that ad from a sad mother whose son got killed in Viet Nam and she was selling his 1963 Corvair?

When i got there it turned out to be a 1963 Corvette coupe, Fuel Injection, 4-speed, etc. I hung my head and paid her the $1,000 asking price.

We were both pleased so it was all good.

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Where is this stuff available and what damage will it do to my mortgage payments? I have a couple of older junk bodies I would be willing to test this stuff on. One I got in an "ebay box" so I do not know what type paint or for how long, should be a good test mule.

5 hours ago, 69H.O.Firebird said:

This stuff works great! Will strip lacquer also just as easy. 

I dunno. The stripped styrene is still discolored. I use Testors Easy Lift Off and it will strip hot lacquer paint completely, without any staining or residue. I bought this Lindberg 1953 Ford used. Neon green lacquer was sprayed directly on the hood and body without any primer barrier. I brushed ELO on the parts. After about 20 minutes, the paint started to wrinkle and was easily removed by scrubbing with a tooth brush. It took three applications to remove the paint from all of the nooks and crannies and there wasn't a trace of neon green anywhere afterward. The parts were slightly etched by the hot lacquer; but, they were a nice, bright white.

IMG_4468.JPG.acced7ac5add66aa96d46d0d32ae999f.JPG

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I dunno. The stripped styrene is still discolored. I use Testors Easy Lift Off and it will strip hot lacquer paint completely, without any staining or residue. I bought this Lindberg 1953 Ford used. Neon green lacquer was sprayed directly on the hood and body without any primer barrier. I brushed ELO on the parts. After about 20 minutes, the paint started to wrinkle and was easily removed by scrubbing with a tooth brush. It took three applications to remove the paint from all of the nooks and crannies and there wasn't a trace of neon green anywhere afterward. The parts were slightly etched by the hot lacquer; but, they were a nice, bright white.

IMG_4468.JPG.acced7ac5add66aa96d46d0d32ae999f.JPG

ELO was my go-to until one of the bodies I was stripping crumbled away. It worked fine 'til then.

6 hours ago, Repstock said:

ELO was my go-to until one of the bodies I was stripping crumbled away. It worked fine 'til then.

You have to use it very sparingly - I use it on a toothbrush, after using Super Clean, to remove stains the SC can't get out.

This new stuff? If it cleans old flat black enamel off a chassis, I'm in.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

But this is an all-new and magical solution we all should try and rave about!  ;)

I recall 20+ years ago, on the rec.models.scale Usenet group, someone was pushing the then-new(?) ELO (Easy Lift Off) paint remover, and asked me to try it and provide feedback. Well, I tried it on both Testors Gloss Red oil-based enamel and Duplicolior lacquer, and it worked okay on the Testors paint, but didn't have any affect on the Duplicolor, so, call me skeptical of any "new" paint stripper (though I applaud the O.P. for nor stooping to "NEW!!!!" levels and excessive exclamation).

1 hour ago, Painted Black said:

Hey if it really works, then great. But I'll just stick to Easy-Off abd 93 alcohol, easy to get and has not failed me yet, never had a body crumble from either...

I have always had great success with Easy Off oven cleaner (lye, basically) in the yellow can when needed. Easy to find locally, and strips everything. That will continue to be my go-to.

23 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Remember when i answered that ad from a sad mother whose son got killed in Viet Nam and she was selling his 1963 Corvair?

When i got there it turned out to be a 1963 Corvette coupe, Fuel Injection, 4-speed, etc. I hung my head and paid her the $1,000 asking price.

We were both pleased so it was all good.

Travolta GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1