Model Cars Magazine Forum

New way to strip paint from bodies, safe and simple!

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

I have always had great success with Easy Off oven cleaner (lye, basically) in the yellow can when needed. Easy to find locally, and strips everything. That will continue to be my go-to.

I too used it for years, and then discovered the convenience of the Purple Pond, which is the same chemical that works with no effort required, just a little time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I too used it for years, and then discovered the convenience of the Purple Pond, which is the same chemical that works with no effort required, just a little time. 

Purple Power, it is easy to get and probably cheaper! 

And Denatured Alcohol works pretty good on Lacquer, like Tamiya

Looks like it works really well.  No smell and not bothering your skin sounds good to me.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of a price tag they put on it and what the shipping cost is.   I tried Super Clean for the first time last week and after 3 days of soaking a body it would not take all the Rust-Oleum clear Lacquer off.  It kinda crystalized it in the corners and had to be chipped and scraped off. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

confessed to immersing in ELO and was corrected; ruined the lid on a swap meet '62 BelAir bubble-top, which the reason I bought the darned thing.  I'm back to DOT 3 brake fluid, or one of the purple cleansers.  I wouldn't risk Easy Off; I've seen it' go after' too many other substances!  Also, don't abrasive blast- whew!!  No more chrome appliques to paint!

• 1 month later...

I saw the HPIGuys review on YouTube  for QCS Model Safe on June 11th and immediately placed an order for two 32oz jugs. (There’s a secret 20% off code within that HPIGuys review btw). It arrived today and I immediately tried it out. This stuff is not cheap at $35 per 32oz jug… but it works FANTASTIC.

I have tried all the usual paint strippers, but nothing touches Tamiya spray primers very well and lacquers are difficult to strip even with ELO and 91% Isopropyl. This Supernatural Impala was primed Tamiya gray spray primer, followed by four coats of Tamiya TS gloss black. I left it soaking in isopropyl for three weeks and was left with the primer untouched, and black firmly attached to crevices. I didn’t think to get a before picture. I dropped it into QCS, left it for an hour while I got dinner, and pulled out a near clean body. Just some quick swishing with a toothbrush resulted in this:

F47DBBAC-014A-4EAC-AB33-51F3D489F6CA.thumb.jpeg.221275df64de670bd546ac17bd0da321.jpeg It has a chalky look to it after rinsing and drying, but I think that’s just from my initial sanding, maybe some of the primer has etched in. Regardless, this body is ready for prep and fresh paint.  

F34962C3-C504-432B-9555-7AA79EB61EFC.thumb.jpeg.0ba361e44da4578203a5ac90b8336f4a.jpeg

I did another test on another body and took pictures, I’ll post that separately below. 

I will mention, I have ZERO affiliation with Stripwell/QCS or HPIGuys. I bought this with my own money and these are my results! This stuff really works!! If you have a product you like, great, keep using it. If you want something that works QUICK and EASY, give this stuff a try!

Here’s the second project I stripped using QCS Model Safe. Tamiya Gray primer, three coats of Tamiya TS Light metallic blue, and the black trim is Krylon black primer. The Tamiya blue had room-temp cured for two weeks, and the krylon trim was about three days old. FCFE34AA-5DCA-4D8D-B78A-96154A0C018B.thumb.jpeg.21f9d7e6ee5d5a81e4a7e79a0fba7cef.jpeg
I partially submerged the body to really show the magic. FD266E54-BB2F-489C-A9CD-6534E4708247.thumb.jpeg.a701d41f162a829fc87624750b400d26.jpeg
This is after 10 minutes: F940C421-FA3B-4F60-992F-BFAB1C2D6477.thumb.jpeg.a44afb9552962abfd362491084fa0e2a.jpegC6637F76-558E-404D-A59F-0335891025CA.thumb.jpeg.f7cd004c0498888866c4dea6cf05b0cb.jpeg

I dunked it back in. You can see the primer starting to swirl away: 27BC520C-706F-40A4-9FC8-64EFBEE52009.thumb.jpeg.15d69dfbd0fcf6dd2ad65a0147955ead.jpeg

15 minutes later, a total of 25 minutes submerged: 5D7D590A-AA72-4CFA-ACFD-285B6375B616.thumb.jpeg.189774d78e50a7f45db1f3abfeeaae75.jpeg 

I then swished the fluid over the body with a toothbrush, lightly brushed, and we’re at bare white plastic.52E2704B-8BE3-4A43-B908-8CBD16A6EC41.thumb.jpeg.1a454017e2423dfb5ef26a2e71b8a73e.jpeg 

This stuff really works, really fast! I will not be using anything else to strip paint 😂

• Like 1

Ok, I'll bite.

This stuff does look promising.  The website seems to have been designed with primary focus on stripping paint from furniture, with model stripper also being offered.  Having said that, I wonder of the (wood) furniture stripping solution is the same stuff as the plastic model stripper?  The wording on the labels of both types of strippers is identical, except for the mention of models on the model version.  I'm wondering because the furniture stripper (as a 4-pack) is a better deal (and the discount code works on it too).

Anyway, I'm always looking for new and better plastic (and resin), so I'll order the model version.  I do wonder how safe it is on resin bodies?  I think I'll let someone else find that out.  :D

5 hours ago, peteski said:

Ok, I'll bite.

This stuff does look promising.  The website seems to have been designed with primary focus on stripping paint from furniture, with model stripper also being offered.  Having said that, I wonder of the (wood) furniture stripping solution is the same stuff as the plastic model stripper?  The wording on the labels of both types of strippers is identical, except for the mention of models on the model version.  I'm wondering because the furniture stripper (as a 4-pack) is a better deal (and the discount code works on it too).

Anyway, I'm always looking for new and better plastic (and resin), so I'll order the model version.  I do wonder how safe it is on resin bodies?  I think I'll let someone else find that out.  :D

Yes it's the same product. He found that having a separate bottle and web page dedicated to modelers worked out better. 

4 hours ago, 69H.O.Firebird said:

Yes it's the same product. He found that having a separate bottle and web page dedicated to modelers worked out better. 

I guess it makes sense. Oh well.  I ordered 2 bottles of the "model" stuff when I could have ordered a 4-pack of the furniture stuff (and still getting the 20% discount).  I'm hoping that the discount still works next time I'll place an order (but that'll likely not be for some time, so I doubt it).

Hey Zack, do you happen to have any urethane resin items you could try stripping? :)

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, peteski said:

I guess it makes sense. Oh well.  I ordered 2 bottles of the "model" stuff when I could have ordered a 4-pack of the furniture stuff (and still getting the 20% discount).  I'm hoping that the discount still works next time I'll place an order (but that'll likely not be for some time, so I doubt it).

Hey Zack, do you happen to have any urethane resin items you could try stripping? :)

Let me know if the discount goes away. He's my son-in-law, I'll have him give it to ya! Lol. But seriously, this stuff is really amazing and safe.

8 hours ago, 69H.O.Firebird said:

Let me know if the discount goes away. He's my son-in-law, I'll have him give it to ya! Lol. But seriously, this stuff is really amazing and safe.

Thanks Bruce!.  Like I mentioned, it might be some time before I need a fresh batch of the stripper.

What got me to try this stuff was Zaks post - the stuff does look like it really works and seems safer and easier to deal with than the other strippers I have experimented with.

3 hours ago, StanGlover said:

Pete, I don’t have any resin items at all to try stripping. I am curious how that responds as well!

I currently don't have any resin bodies to strip either.  I wonder if HPIGuys guy who made the video testing the stripper on multiple types of paints could be talked into doing a test on a resin body.  We know that the stripper works well on several different primers, enamels, and lacquers. We now just want to know if it will be safe on polyurethane resin, or will it turn it to goo?

Edited by peteski

I’ve worked with polyurethane resins for over 40 years and intrigued that this stuff can cut lacquer without cutting styrene. If this stuff is non hazardous it certainly won’t cut polyurethane resin castings.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:43 PM, 69H.O.Firebird said:

He's my son-in-law, I'll have him give it to ya! Lol. But seriously, this stuff is really amazing and safe.

Well, the product videos look impressive, but the shipping process is not so hot.

I placed my order on June 23rd, and next day (June 24th) I received an email stating "product has been shipped", along with the USPS tracking number. 

I keep checking the tracking info every day, and as of now (June 29th) the tracking info still shows "June 24, 2022 at 1:03pm Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item".   Not cool.  EBay sellers sometimes do this too.  I live in adjacent state, so when the package actually gets shipped, I should get it in couple of days.  But so far it has been sitting unsent for 5 days.

Pete, mine took a total of 10 days to arrive from when I placed my order. It sounds like a small mom and pop operation so they may be inundated with orders, especially given the recent promotion. Give it some time, maybe reach out to them in a couple of days. Everyone is struggling with labor and materials shortages these days!

2 minutes ago, StanGlover said:

Pete, mine took a total of 10 days to arrive from when I placed my order. It sounds like a small mom and pop operation so they may be inundated with orders, especially given the recent promotion. Give it some time, maybe reach out to them in a couple of days. Everyone is struggling with labor and materials shortages these days!

Well then, don't email me one day after the ordering telling me the order has been shipped, and print the postage label, then have the item sit at their location. That is totally misleading!   If they just sent a quick email stating that there will be a delay ( would understand and wait patiently).  Or even put a blurb on the website stating that the orders might be delayed due to (fill in the blank).  I'm giving them time, but I'm just disappointed in the way they conduct their business.

I just checked, and the package was finally shipped today at 3:08pm.

• Like 1