Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tandem Haul Away car transporter

This is the AMT Haul Away car transporter that I’m going to modify to a tandem axle car transporter with the goal of being able to load 6 car’s on it versus the stock load of 5 cars. I’m adding about 55 scale inches to the trailer over all. So far I’ve started with one side cutting and spicing 2 trailer sides into one. Next will be to do the same with the other side. 

3629E006-51A0-4765-BD67-5B14637B4341.jpeg

CC8A769F-C950-4CF8-B6B4-AA4F97FE78A4.jpeg

6058EC5F-2EAE-4047-9539-CCDDD48DEFB9.jpeg

12 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Great idea!  Looks like a winner!

Thanks Tommy I’ve been thinking about this build for a while now and it finally came to me how I could make it happen. 

11 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Wow, what a project to take on. Should be great

Thanks Mark I will be keeping this post updated with my progress. 

15 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

This is the AMT Haul Away car transporter that I’m going to modify to a tandem axle car transporter with the goal of being able to load 6 car’s on it versus the stock load of 5 cars. I’m adding about 55 scale inches to the trailer over all. So far I’ve started with one side cutting and spicing 2 trailer sides into one. Next will be to do the same with the other side. 

3629E006-51A0-4765-BD67-5B14637B4341.jpeg

CC8A769F-C950-4CF8-B6B4-AA4F97FE78A4.jpeg

6058EC5F-2EAE-4047-9539-CCDDD48DEFB9.jpeg

looking good

10 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Sounds like I  need another bucket of popcorn...definitely watching your car hauler come together 

Here’s my update to go with your popcorn Jeff. 

9 hours ago, Jack L said:

looking good

Thanks Jack. Did you lose power or have any flooding from Nick? 

Today’s progress I was able too match the other side and working on the main section. I’m re engineering the back top section with more steel and a adjustable rigid support to keep it raised up. 

9F6D222C-6F0A-4C33-911E-71BA0E3F9836.jpeg

82B37357-799E-4402-82CD-8ED6467C2DFE.jpeg

Edited by Mopar - D
  • Like 2

Well done grafting the 2 halves together,  it definitely looks better as a tandem

JT is gonna love the color scheme too 😆 

Glad to hear everyone made out okay after another serious storm passing thru . Luckily being in NY we've had a couple storms , but man the mosquitoes this yr are dreadful.  Hard to enjoy few dry days when the little blood suckers are out in droves 

14 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Stay safe you guys.  You've certainly had your share of rain.

Thanks Charles this was really our first big storm this season here in the Houston area. 

14 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I have built two of these (not tandem though) with one left in the stash. I love what you are going for. Here is a pic of mine showing the horizontal supports removed.

A.M.T. 2 LR A.jpg

Thanks Bill yours look looks really nice in the red, white and blue. 

3 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Now that look better with tandem axle , good idea !

Thanks Spencer

2 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Well done grafting the 2 halves together,  it definitely looks better as a tandem

JT is gonna love the color scheme too 😆 

Glad to hear everyone made out okay after another serious storm passing thru . Luckily being in NY we've had a couple storms , but man the mosquitoes this yr are dreadful.  Hard to enjoy few dry days when the little blood suckers are out in droves 

Thanks Jeff, I have not told JT yet about the orange for this one. He likes the tandem axle. Yea I know what you talking about with the mosquitoes we have them from March to November here. 

I did a little mock up of where I’m going with this build. It’s going to be a load of 67 Dodge and Plymouth cars. 

F8494062-7392-4E8C-8FF9-A5BB9FBDC1A5.jpeg

F584A9FC-680D-4E19-8F17-6CDA3275828C.jpeg

Edited by Mopar - D

Yeah!!!! There you go... That's what I'm talking about... I told you, you'd get it... It looks awesome, and you know, I like the color!!! It's BEAUTIFUL!!! It just makes so much more sense, this way... Just as we discussed... I've wanted to build it this way for a while, now... You beat me to it!!! 😆 But I am glad to see you're getting it done, and as well executed as this... Still a 5 car hauler, but way nicer looking...Then again, you just may be able to fit a Datsun on the back, LOL!!! Oh, and the International is a great choice with that long frame... Justifies the length....I'm very pleased to see this...Keep it up...

Edited by kilrathy10

18 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Yeah!!!! There you go... That's what I'm talking about... I told you, you'd get it... It looks awesome, and you know, I like the color!!! It's BEAUTIFUL!!! It just makes so much more sense, this way... Just as we discussed... I've wanted to build it this way for a while, now... You beat me to it!!! 😆 But I am glad to see you're getting it done, and as well executed as this... Still a 5 car hauler, but way nicer looking...Then again, you just may be able to fit a Datsun on the back, LOL!!! Oh, and the International is a great choice with that long frame... Justifies the length....I'm very pleased to see this...Keep it up...

Thanks JT I knew that you would appreciate my color selection. I’m going to be able to get all 6 of my 67 Mopars on the trailer. 

18 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

It matches your shirt, JT!!😆

I’m going to have JT come over with his shirt when I’m finished with the trailer to take a picture. 

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Have you thought about extending the lower level in the front? You might just be able to get the 6th car in with the ramp down.

Thanks for your idea on extending the lower front but there’s not enough height in the front section. 

Here’s my test fitting with the 6 cars loaded up. I’ve changed the angle of the ramps on the lower front section where it goes up. With the way the kit has the angle you might be able to get a Jeep to go up it. Lol. 

56FBD965-818F-4146-A900-7A40F3F7A774.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Thanks JT I knew that you would appreciate my color selection. I’m going to be able to get all 6 of my 67 Mopars on the trailer. 

I’m going to have JT come over with his shirt when I’m finished with the trailer to take a picture. 

Thanks for your idea on extending the lower front but there’s not enough height in the front section. 

Here’s my test fitting with the 6 cars loaded up. I’ve changed the angle of the ramps on the lower front section where it goes up. With the way the kit has the angle you might be able to get a Jeep to go up it. Lol. 

56FBD965-818F-4146-A900-7A40F3F7A774.jpeg

more holes to drill !!!!!!!!!!