Model Cars Magazine Forum

Working Around Red Plastic?

17 hours ago, robdebie said:

I remember reading in a book on industrial paint that the red dyes for plastic are notorious for being able to dissolve in paint solvents, and thus moving into the paint itself. To me it sounds like different paint solvents could be the answer. Like using a waterbased acrylic paint instead of (say) an enamel with added white spirit. But that's just a hypothetical example.

Rob

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Something maybe-helpful; I have never had ANY trouble with colored plastic showing through when using Createx airbrush colors.  White over red, black, blue or anything else - never had an issue.

Maybe acrylics are less susceptible to this phenomenon?

I think you guys have the answer to the problem.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Something maybe-helpful; I have never had ANY trouble with colored plastic showing through when using Createx airbrush colors.  White over red, black, blue or anything else - never had an issue.

Maybe acrylics are less susceptible to this phenomenon?

Not just "acrylics" as that is a general term (often misused by modelers) since acrylic-based paints can use organic "hot" solvents, or water-based solvents.  Like Rob de Bie mentioned the type of solvent probably makes the difference.  Creatax are water-based acrylic paints, so you are most likely correct -- those paints will not cause any dye leaching.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is really the first time that I have ran into this, but it is definitely not a color transparency problem. I usually like to use hot lacquer paint. I was painting a roof mount A/C for my 4070A. The A/C was molded in red. I primed it black and painted it white. It turned out with a pink tint. I then painted it silver, then gloss black, then silver again, and then white. It was now a slightly lighter shade of pink. No red was really visible with the black primer, the silver paint or the black paint. All of those colors should have been enough to cover up the red. Amazingly the red dye seems to bleed through all those coats of paint.

FE1492A8-40C7-428C-8A4D-B0F235701896.jpeg.dfb7d83af73b7e689af2ef8e13d3b1ff.jpeg

16 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

This is really the first time that I have ran into this, but it is definitely not a color transparency problem. I usually like to use hot lacquer paint. I was painting a roof mount A/C for my 4070A. The A/C was molded in red. I primed it black and painted it white. It turned out with a pink tint. I then painted it silver, then gloss black, then silver again, and then white. It was now a slightly lighter shade of pink. No red was really visible with the black primer, the silver paint or the black paint. All of those colors should have been enough to cover up the red. Amazingly the red dye seems to bleed through all those coats of paint.

It's a crazy phenomenom indeed! Could you, for the sake of science, try water-based acrylics over all these paint layers? Theoretically that should stop the bleeding.

Rob

22 hours ago, robdebie said:

It's a crazy phenomenom indeed! Could you, for the sake of science, try water-based acrylics over all these paint layers? Theoretically that should stop the bleeding.

Rob

I don’t happen to have any water based paint at the moment. I did add a couple of coats of Krylon Rust Tough gloss white enamel and then a couple of coats of Krylon Cover Max flat white enamel and it is still just as pink. I found the sure fire fix; I found an a/c molded in white.😀