Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mirror part and 3d print - Porsche 959 - U.S. vendor

I hoping to find someone to create a passenger mirror for the 1/24 Tamiya Porsche 959, which I think could be created by scanning the driver's mirror, mirroring it in a program, and 3d printing it. 

The prototype cars had a single driver's mirror (which Tamiya based its model on), but the production cars had driver's and passenger's. I'd like to build a 959 Reimagined that my second cousin, Bruce Canepa, is producing

I talked to a guy in Italy on FB who could do it and mailed him the original part, which was lost in the mail. I had to order a new part from Tamiya, so I'm hoping to find someone close to home who could do it.

Here's what I'm talking about. Thanks for any information you can provide!

152344954_2920216278193500_1555404390400215589_n.jpg

Edited by BVC500

• BVC500 changed the title to Mirror part and 3d print - Porsche 959 - U.S. vendor
9 hours ago, my66s55 said:

That happens to be a 3d cad file that you can buy for $8.80. It's located here: https://www.artstation.com/marketplace/p/erMX6/1987-porsche-959-3d-model. If you have someone make them for you, have them make both sides. That way you'll be assured of having a matching set.

Thanks!  Now I just need someone to print them.

• 4 weeks later...

As it turns out, someone has already created exactly what I'm looking for, plus the 18 inch wheels (Bruce had 18in magnesium wheels made to replace the original 17s).  

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/architecture/porsche-959-rim-canepa-18-inch-x-tamiya-1-24th-model

Anyone recommend good 3d printers out there?  Is Shapeways on demand service economical/good?

20210903_131847.jpg.webp

959.jpg.webp

Edited by BVC500

The Tamiya Porsche 959 takes a lot of work to build an accurate replica of the real car. The car has the body of a 959 sport with no rear fender door for the suspension fluid, and a single mirror, but has the Komfort interior. The under body looks like they were just guessing as it doesn't resemble the 1:1 959 at all, and is completely missing the under tray in the rear which make the the lack of inter-coolers even more obvious. Then there is the rear engine cover with a glue joint in the hardest place to fill, so hard in fact you will see many builds not address it at all. This is one of the kits that I think of when people say, " WhY cAn'T ReVeLl Be pErfecT LiKe tAmiYa?"

1 hour ago, Darin Bastedo said:

The Tamiya Porsche 959 takes a lot of work to build an accurate replica of the real car. The car has the body of a 959 sport with no rear fender door for the suspension fluid, and a single mirror, but has the Komfort interior. The under body looks like they were just guessing as it doesn't resemble the 1:1 959 at all, and is completely missing the under tray in the rear which make the the lack of inter-coolers even more obvious. Then there is the rear engine cover with a glue joint in the hardest place to fill, so hard in fact you will see many builds not address it at all. This is one of the kits that I think of when people say, " WhY cAn'T ReVeLl Be pErfecT LiKe tAmiYa?"

Good to know, Darin. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 9:36 PM, Darin Bastedo said:

The Tamiya 959 is from 1987. I’m currently working on one and there is a lot of work to get the engine cover right. That being said, the Porsches about to be released by Revell are looking very good but I doubt they’ll be as good as a current Tamiya kit. 

Ben