Model Cars Magazine Forum

White tire lettering

bbowser

I use the Japanese Gelly Roll 08 white pen that I got at Michaels.  It takes a very lite touch with good lighting and magnifaction.  I practiced on four tires before I got the hang of it.  I just used alcohol to wipe them off and start again.  Once I got the hang of it I was able to slowly and carefully do all four without a problem.  I found pushing the pen towards the edges worked better for me.  If you barely touch it to the tire it will flow out nicely and you can move the ink around with the pen.

You can also sand them off and use decals.

tire2.PNG.6a1a161df5227d36df21c5667b4df906.PNG

Edited by jchrisf

On 9/18/2021 at 1:41 PM, jchrisf said:

I use the Japanese Gelly Roll 08 white pen that I got at Michaels.  It takes a very lite touch with good lighting and magnifaction.  I practiced on four tires before I got the hang of it.  I just used alcohol to wipe them off and start again.  Once I got the hang of it I was able to slowly and carefully do all four without a problem.  I found pushing the pen towards the edges worked better for me.  If you barely touch it to the tire it will flow out nicely and you can move the ink around with the pen.

You can also sand them off and use decals.

tire2.PNG.6a1a161df5227d36df21c5667b4df906.PNG

I saw that HL carries the 0.5mm tip.  Is that the size you use?

9 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I saw that HL carries the 0.5mm tip.  Is that the size you use?

Mine is the 08.. I just looked it up and it looks like it is the .8mm pen.  I don't remember if they had different sizes when I purchased mine and if they did why I choose that one.

Edited by jchrisf

21 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Mine is the 08.. I just looked it up and it looks like it is the .8mm pen.  I don't remember if they had different sizes when I purchased mine and if they did why I choose that one.

Thanks Chris.  I'm headed to HL this morning as they have their 40% off.  

• Like 1

Now that Shabo seems to be out of business. does anyone else make either dry transfers or decals for the old style Firestone lettering? I have a number of tires with no molded lettering so a pen won't work. BTW, I work in 1/25th scale, and would like lettering for 40's style hot rod tires.

12 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Now that Shabo seems to be out of business. does anyone else make either dry transfers or decals for the old style Firestone lettering? I have a number of tires with no molded lettering so a pen won't work. BTW, I work in 1/25th scale, and would like lettering for 40's style hot rod tires.

Can you use water slide decals?

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/browse.php?kw=tire,decals

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 1:11 PM, bbowser said:

Looking for tips on the best way to letter racing tires with raised lettering.  I know about using acrylic not enamel paint.  I'm working on an AMT Indycar and need to letter both sides of the tires.  Thanks in advance.

I did these by rolling the side of the tip of this pen over the letters. I don’t know if this pen is available in white, but this silver was close enough for me and went on real nice.

A5DFCFE3-7227-4DB4-8156-3C5BE7C6ACE4.jpeg

I just did the rear tires on this one (the fronts were already painted, so had to match 'em with the rears) with Folk Art craft acrylic flat white, applied with the tip of a toothpick. Went pretty easily and smoothly, one of my best tire-lettering jobs ever. 

64Dodge15.jpg.adc98ec711167988374514a8dee2e0e2.jpg

I used a toothpick / cocktail stick to apply some Vallejo Polished Gold acrylic onto ' Firestone ' tyre lettering, for my Lotus F1 car in 1:12 scale.

This procedure does take a long time and a steady hand though, so I am always on the lookout for alternative methods ! All the suggestions in this topic are useful, so thanks guys.

David

100_5608.JPG