Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '66 Malibu SS

Speedpro

This is a kit that i have built several times over the years. The first one i built was in '79 and through out the years used up many of these for parts for other builds. A few weeks ago i had a visit from my friend of many years @Kit Karson and he surprised me with a couple of chevelle kits. This kit from '98 being one of them. So now here i am at my bench building one again. Only this time i have a few miles under my belt building models and am going to have a go at this kit one more time. One thing about this kit is its name on the box '66 Malibu SS. While the car is a 1966, It is not a malibu SS per say. It is a chevelle SS. The malibu is a base model car. When you bought a super sport model it was call a chevelle super sport. The malibu SS is a canadian built super sport and is quit a bit different the the american built car. I'm not going to get into that here thought. So here we go.................. 

Pulled all the parts and took inventory of them. They were then washed and let dry. All the parts were then cut off the tree's and each one will get cleaned up and test fit. These kits have a few problem areas and i will address these areas for proper fit. The first thing i worked on is the fitment of the dash to body. If this is not done the rear axle will not be in center to the rear wheel opening because the chassis to body will not fit together properly. The chassis will instead fit to the rear because the interior bucket is not in the right position caused by the dash fitment. Starting with the glass, All the numbers and letters on the bottom of the roof were removed and the area sanded (still needs more sanding done) smooth so as the glass will sit flat inside. The dash was first lowered a little in the interior bucket. Next i started filing on the leading edge of the dash till the body and interior bucket fit together nicely and the chassis was center in the rear wheel wells. Been working on cleaning up other parts of pin, sink marks and casting imperfections due to the old molds. 

More to come and thanks for looking................

IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Will be interesting to see how you fix the caved-in roof.

Design flaw ? Typical-1970's-Monogram-cartoon-portions ? Moulding issue ?  I know that you're quite knowledgeable about the proportions and such of G.M.'s  A bodies -- my queries are generalised  ; not questioning your knowledge 🙂 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Design flaw ? Typical-1970's-Monogram-cartoon-portions ? Moulding issue ?  I know that you're quite knowledgeable about the proportions and such of G.M.'s  A bodies -- my queries are generalised  ; not questioning your knowledge 🙂 

Probably mainly a molding issue, but the other two factors might play a part as well. I've seen this in other kits, but not as often and as prominently as in the Monogram '66 Malibu and '65 Vette coupe. 

I tried to correct mine, gave up when I got it this far. Going further would have meant making a new windshield. 

66ChevelleMono13.jpg.325383be66e6a0ae78761bb6c70efa85.jpg

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Probably mainly a molding issue, but the other two factors might play a part as well.

Thanks much . I see what you mean regarding the windscreen area ; its overhang , its "brow" droops . It's too bad that there isn't a really good 1966 Chevelle available -- without 'bashing' the Revell 1967 hardtop with the 'clip' from the 1966 El Camino and / or wagon ( different sheet metal on the 1:1 between the hardtop & coupe vs the El Camino / Wagon , IIRC ; differently-sized fenders and hood ? ) . Then there's the 1966-specific tail lamps / rear panel / quarter caps .

It's too bad , really . I've always liked the Street Freak look of the Monogram 1966 'Malibu' et al. 

"It's too bad that there isn't a really good 1966 Chevelle available".  Lindberg has the best '66 chevelle SS. It in no way share's  the same problem with the windscreen area of the roof of the monogram kit. Here is a look at the lindberg chevelle................. And here is a build i'm doing of that car...............   I'm not going to try and fix this problem. I just want to build this Out of the box for my collection because all the others i'v done in the past have turned into parts cars. As i stated, I''m just going to fix fitment issues. Not body molding issues.

s-l1600.jpg

1966 model.jpg

1966 model5.jpg

2 hours ago, Speedpro said:

Lindberg has the best '66 chevelle SS. It in no way share's  the same problem with the windscreen area of the roof of the monogram kit.  And here is a build i'm doing of that car...  I'm not going to try and fix this problem. I just want to build this Out of the box for my collection because all the others i've done in the past have turned into parts cars. As i stated, I'm just going to fix fitment issues. Not body molding issues.

I'm embarrassed to state that I'd forgotten that I actually have the Lindberg 1966 SS-396 Chevelle in my stash ! Haha ! Not sure why its presence escaped me mind... 

I'm planning to buy the latest issue of the 1966 'Malibu' ( it's due for release any day now... ) , and will , like you , enjoy building that rascal out-of-the-box  . 

3 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm embarrassed to state that I'd forgotten that I actually have the Lindberg 1966 SS-396 Chevelle in my stash ! Haha ! Not sure why its presence escaped me mind... 

I'm planning to buy the latest issue of the 1966 'Malibu' ( it's due for release any day now... ) , and will , like you , enjoy building that rascal out-of-the-box  . 

There's a new issue of the '66 coming out??  By who?

Just now, Speedpro said:

Thanks wrenchr, You beat me to the answer. Was just going to say the same thing. 

Also, the lindberg  kit builds up very nice.

I just bought the lindberg kit a few weeks ago. I bought one when it first came out but never built it and I'm not sure what happened to it. Lost a lot of kits in the late 90's to a house fire, that might be where it went.  

Got the majority of the parts all cleaned up and detailed. Put the engine long block together and the trans. Most parts ready for paint.  Shaved the firewall of the two box's and wiring.

IMG_2017.thumb.JPG.33d142943c3ced50523c8c8dbfd4d4e0.JPG

Fitting of the firewall and side frames.....................

IMG_2018.thumb.JPG.26b4cf7c6dacf520620c1048877b9179.JPG

IMG_2019.thumb.JPG.86adcc64751f1c91a8f90ce451dd2340.JPG

IMG_2020.thumb.JPG.0901db68afe528b14acd2843fdeb33c3.JPG

IMG_2021.thumb.JPG.13babc4d0ed309005afce6c225019713.JPG

Some of the pin and sink marks i had to remove............................

IMG_2022.thumb.JPG.e6502038c95bfcc3665c145063f51b3d.JPG

IMG_2023.thumb.JPG.d04d10fe97ab21a8f3d884ae4a960d61.JPG

IMG_2024.thumb.JPG.a949f35514ab36320fb36b6cfafcdd5c.JPG

IMG_2025.thumb.JPG.3741f81f1f6cf506595da4c73be5a573.JPG

Parts cleaned up.............................

1292659110_IMG_2026(1).thumb.JPG.3b2f56fcb9da9e8d7ed82ee89230dd04.JPG

1991646291_IMG_2028(1).thumb.JPG.d70ae3079319177536d022e9cbc8dc8c.JPG