Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rustoleum 2X Gloss Clear polishes out real nice

I found it to be a quicker process than normal.  2000 followed by 4000, then Meguiar's Ultra Cut Compound followed by Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish.  The compound and polish with a wool attachment on my Dremel.  The Rustoleum laid down flatter than any Lacquer I've ever used so I didn't have a lot of orange peel.  This picture doesn't even do it justice.

shine.PNG.da520b211aa2d06416630b454f7d87fd.PNG

• Like 1

Nice looking Chris.  I use 4000, 6000, then 12000 when wet sanding.  When polishing I use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze then Novus 2.  I use to use Rust-Oleum 2X gloss clear but the last few paint jobs has been the Rust-Oleum acrylic lacquer.   Yeah using a dremel is just to much of a chance of burning through for me.  This is how my black paint job turned out.  

20210904_152238_resized.jpg.bb7ca2954a8fa330c973d871fcd87ab7.jpg

20210904_152243_resized.jpg.2f349b1e1deb14cd5e10b32303cd5cf5.jpg

Edited by Zippi

6 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I found it to be a quicker process than normal.  2000 followed by 4000, then Meguiar's Ultra Cut Compound followed by Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish.  The compound and polish with a wool attachment on my Dremel.  The Rustoleum laid down flatter than any Lacquer I've ever used so I didn't have a lot of orange peel.  This picture doesn't even do it justice.

shine.PNG.da520b211aa2d06416630b454f7d87fd.PNG

That’s impressive!!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  The best part is it is cheap and doesn't smell as bad.  It also seems to be tougher than the lacquers I have used in the past.  The inside of the body (painted with Rustoleum) would be scratched up from putting it on and off my Tamiya stand if it was lacquer or acrylic.  I don't have any clear on the inside.  I also put Rustoleum on my chassis and not a mark on it.

The dremel saves so much time.  I'd have never thought about it but saw my hero David Thibodaeu do it on one of his videos where he explains it very well.  I have a cordless dremel that doesn't spin as fast on it's lowest setting but they make corded ones that have multi-speed that can get low.  I'll be getting one like Dave

s when I need another.  I think I only paid $20 for my cheap dremel though.

Edited by jchrisf

1 hour ago, jchrisf said:

Snake, I put on two coats about 30 minutes apart out of the can.

Thanks!

I don't know if it's the same stuff, but I've been using their "High Lustre Coating" Lacquer, misting on a couple of coats to be safe, and then 3 or 4 wetter ones. I've been VERY happy so far with how it polishes out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks!

I don't know if it's the same stuff, but I've been using their "High Lustre Coating" Lacquer, misting on a couple of coats to be safe, and then 3 or 4 wetter ones. I've been VERY happy so far with how it polishes out. 

I'll have to look at the can when I get home to be sure it is the painter's touch but I know it cleans up with Mineral Spirits according to the label so it must be enamel.

Yes.. this is the exact can of clear I used above.

I'm going to be checking out their metal colors next.  If they lay down as well as the clear, primer and color coats and are just as tough that will be perfect.

Edited by jchrisf

Haven't looked at any of the metal colors.  I painted my 66 Nova with Rust-Oleum gloss gray and cleared it with Rust-Oleum clear gloss.  Turned out pretty nice.  I get great results with darker colors as I can see it going on wet. The lighter colors not so easy to see for me.

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

Haven't looked at any of the metal colors.  I painted my 66 Nova with Rust-Oleum gloss gray and cleared it with Rust-Oleum clear gloss.  Turned out pretty nice.  I get great results with darker colors as I can see it going on wet. The lighter colors not so easy to see for me.

I saw Matthew's nice paint on his engine and asked him what he used and he said Rustoleum metallics.  It looks good