Model Cars Magazine Forum

!950's style 1/2 top 49 Ford full custom.

carbuilder1950

I love all the custom front and rear pieces, and all the chrome custom pieces, that come in the kit that we never use.

I grew up going to the early custom car shows, when Car Craft Magazine was little.

I've' never built anything like this before, just using what was in the box, but just one piece slipped in from the 1959 Cadillac box... The rear bumper, that was narrowed...carefully😉.

The interior I had a blast with,

I searched the internet for an upholstery pattern that would be just right. I printed them out on decal paper, and assembled the interior.

Maybe no one else likes it, but I love it Hood got hinged, and the engine got warmed over...nothing fancy. Out of the box again..accept that rear bumper.

019.JPG

022.JPG

024.JPG

021.JPG

060.JPG

065.JPG

042.JPG

041.JPG

009.JPG

013.JPG

008.JPG

007.JPG

010.JPG

012.JPG

011.JPG

Edited by carbuilder1950

• carbuilder1950 changed the title to !950's style 1/2 top 49 Ford full custom.
1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi David! 

I agree with you: people won't LIKE it... They'll LOVE it!  Quite  a showboat, and the Caddy rear end suits it very well. Bravo!

CT 

Thank you @Claude Thibodeau.

I built this as a kind of "Tribute car" to the 50's style of car building, and a tribute to my 2 older friends who kind of adopted me and mentored me,

through my teenage high school school years, as I didn't get along with my dad.

Great guys that I still think of often, many, many decades later.

7 minutes ago, Steve Geer said:

You sir have a real knack for creating customs that not only echo those long ago magazine feature and show cars but go so far beyond.  All it's missing are the floor spotlights and angel hair!  Great work, fabulous interior . . . that is one sweeeet shoebox!

@Steve Geer

Angel hair....Huuum😉. I'll have to think about that 👍.

Beautiful looking body work and the paint looks great. I always liked the half roof style parts. Nice looking interior and I like how you even detailed the back of the front seat as well. The 1:1 car was a little stubby looking to me anyway, but the way you used the custom body parts makes it look much longer. 

3 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

This might be the nicest custom AMT ‘50 Ford I’ve ever seen. Both the execution and workmanship look first rate. The color choices and interior pattern are perfectly suited to it. The narrowed Caddy rear bumper is not only a unique idea, it also looks totally rad!

Very nice!

Thank you @Dennis Lacy

The ol' girl was a "Hoot" to build, as I thought about all those cars from my past, 

at the car shows almost 70 years 😵ago. Yeah, I'm a "Dinosaur in the hobby.

Did I really say that....YIKES😱.

Edited by carbuilder1950

1 hour ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking body work and the paint looks great. I always liked the half roof style parts. Nice looking interior and I like how you even detailed the back of the front seat as well. The 1:1 car was a little stubby looking to me anyway, but the way you used the custom body parts makes it look much longer. 

Thanks @espo

While I was building the old girl, it brought back a lot of great  memories.

4 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Sweet, clean, and SHINY 🙂🙂🙂

2 hours ago, thatz4u said:

Looks like it was built in the 50's, well done...

4 hours ago, Tom Kren said:

Great job!

2 hours ago, mr moto said:

OUTSTANDING!!! That's arriving in style when you pull up in that.

Thank every one of you. Great to share this hobby with all of you.

2 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Awesome! A beautiful, period perfect kustom showboat! Great body work, paint and interior and the Caddy rear bumper is the whipped cream on top of it!

@Koellefornia Kidmy friend.

Thank you.

It's so much fun to create these imaginary vehicles, that we would love to drive on the street.

So much talent here on the forum. I really enjoy seeing so many pieces of rolling art, draped in beautiful colors.