Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Ford Motor Home

On 9/20/2021 at 4:12 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

That’s a great project. Another c class camper was done a while back on the forum, but it used a Dodge B van cab and chassis. Are you planning to use the engine that came in the Ford van kit or are you planning on swapping in a 460? 

Is this the one? If it helps, part of my siding is scribed, and part of it is cut from the Open Road camper. Can't wait to see the Ford done! I'll be following!

995394774_Dodgecamperside.jpg.6546098d4fa2529b43a16b5aec74003e.jpg

Edited by Repstock
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Repstock said:

Is this the one?

Yes @Repstock that’s the one! Top notch build and some of the best detailing I’ve ever seen put into a model.

Excited to see your Ford take shape too, @Oldmopars. C class campers are fun stuff. Many a time I rode on the overhead bunk looking out the front facing window on the way home as a kid. 

23 hours ago, Repstock said:

Is this the one? If it helps, part of my siding is scribed, and part of it is cut from the Open Road camper. Can't wait to see the Ford done! I'll be following!

Is there a build thread for this one? If so, can you link it here?

19 hours ago, Repstock said:

This is pretty much all the pics I have. I hope they can help you..

Repstock Camper (11).JPG

Repstock Camper (12).JPG

Repstock Camper (13).JPG

Repstock Camper (26).JPG

Repstock Camper (29).JPG

Repstock Camper (30).JPG

Repstock Camper (31).JPG

Repstock Camper (32).JPG

Repstock Camper (5).JPG

Repstock Camper (6).JPG

Repstock Camper (7).JPG

Repstock Camper (9).JPG

Repstock Camper (10).JPG

Nice work, Tom! You integrated the parts from the Open Road Camper kit so neatly and then added quite a few of your own in the same style, perfectly! Love the dual rear wheels too, you don't miss a thing! Thanks for sharing!

So I had some time today to work on this. I am out of town, so it all had to be digital. I found a picture of a Motorhome of the style I want to build. I loaded the picture into a program my company has and traced it, then resized it to the right size. I then flipped it over and using a picture of the other side created something close. Our program allows you to print actual size, so I a going to print it and use those prints to cut out the sides. 

Once the sides are done, I can create the interior. I need to see if I can find interior pictures of this MH or just create my own. I know that the bathroom will be in the rear and I can see the kitchen would be an the passenger side. Should not be to hard to draw from there, I own a real 1:1 Travel trailer and can use the interior to scale from. 

This may be a slow build, I want it to be a quality build, and with my ADD if I don't take a break from it to build other projects, I will just rush it and it will be just OK. 

image.png.58863b2dbbfa5fd8a796eb96c44768e8.png

G8166A.jpg

G8166E.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

So I had some time today to work on this. I am out of town, so it all had to be digital. I found a picture of a Motorhome of the style I want to build. I loaded the picture into a program my company has and traced it, then resized it to the right size. I then flipped it over and using a picture of the other side created something close. Our program allows you to print actual size, so I a going to print it and use those prints to cut out the sides. 

Once the sides are done, I can create the interior. I need to see if I can find interior pictures of this MH or just create my own. I know that the bathroom will be in the rear and I can see the kitchen would be an the passenger side. Should not be to hard to draw from there, I own a real 1:1 Travel trailer and can use the interior to scale from. 

This may be a slow build, I want it to be a quality build, and with my ADD if I don't take a break from it to build other projects, I will just rush it and it will be just OK. 

image.png.58863b2dbbfa5fd8a796eb96c44768e8.png

G8166E.jpg

Drawing looks good, but rear door should be a bit taller.

So great to draw it up on the computer! Always wanted to do a proper drawing of my scratchbuilts but wound up using fuzzy screenshots or measured photos. You’re off to a great start, doing the hard planning now.

There are some sites with camper brochures, got some photos myself for the Hess GMC Training Van

1 hour ago, hct728(Bob) said:

So great to draw it up on the computer! Always wanted to do a proper drawing of my scratchbuilts but wound up using fuzzy screenshots or measured photos. You’re off to a great start, doing the hard planning now.

There are some sites with camper brochures, got some photos myself for the Hess GMC Training Van

Yes, this way I can keep everything in scale. I have had issues in the past keeping the scale correct when I just eyeball it. 

The next step will be some CAD work, Cardboard Aided Design. Glue the drawing to some cardboard and make sure it all mocks up correctly before cutting up some expencive styrene. 

Edited by Oldmopars
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Yes, this way I can keep everything in scale. I have had issues in the past keeping the scale correct when I just eyeball it. 

The next step will be some CAD work, Cardboard Aided Design. Glue the drawing to some cardboard and make sure it all mocks up correctly before cutting up some expencive styrene. 

Smart idea..

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been a bit slow, but I had a bit of time to do some CAD work. 
Very rough cardboard shell is made. I am using some hot glue to hold it all together. At least this gives me a place to start. 
I do see the wheel Wells need to come down a bit.  It is at least getting close. 

FF5C51FA-9A64-4C62-B693-3F7996181111.jpeg

CBDEFE4E-7E3E-4753-B811-FE66F78CE261.jpeg

79575C69-2664-4979-8885-7CD7F6A929D9.jpeg

• Like 1

The problem is that the overhang is too tall. in the prototype picture (and the CAD and Chevy camper), the overhang is about as tall as the door handles to the factory roof. The cardboard on yours is about as tall as the front wheel wells to the factory roof.  Cut the overhang from the bottom to be narrower, drop the whole assembly over the frame so the overall height is shorter, and trim the very bottom to be equal with the cab's rocker panel. That will also put your rear wheel well at the right height. Your camper looks too tall compared to the prototype. Your CAD is about right, but the cardboard isn't.

I like the build a lot, and will be following along. I love scratchbuilding - I'm not that good at it, but it's a blast, and a WIP is always enjoyable. Looking forward to this.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I'm liking it!

Word of advice. 

Compare the profile picture with your cardboard mockup. The roof over the cab looks just a little too high. You might want to take out a little off the top.

7 minutes ago, SSNJim said:

The problem is that the overhang is too tall. in the prototype picture (and the CAD and Chevy camper), the overhang is about as tall as the door handles to the factory roof. The cardboard on yours is about as tall as the front wheel wells to the factory roof.  Cut the overhang from the bottom to be narrower, drop the whole assembly over the frame so the overall height is shorter, and trim the very bottom to be equal with the cab's rocker panel. That will also put your rear wheel well at the right height. Your camper looks too tall compared to the prototype. Your CAD is about right, but the cardboard isn't.

I like the build a lot, and will be following along. I love scratchbuilding - I'm not that good at it, but it's a blast, and a WIP is always enjoyable. Looking forward to this.

Thank you both for your insight. This is why I used cardboard first. I am also “sitting” on it with it on the shelf. This way I can keep looking at it and make corrections before I cut the real thing. 
I will do as you said, because you are both right, too tall. 
I could not get my CAD drawings to print, so I tried to transfer the info and I clearly got something wrong. 

Going to be a really interesting project, looking forward to more updates. It appears to me the overhand is a bit long over the front of the van and still a bit tall.  Maybe its just the angle in the photo, but does the vertical side stick out past the edge of the van door.  Anyway, keep on working that CAD until it suits you.

• 4 weeks later...

So I am making progress. I wanted to use the rounded windows, but I found it was near impossible to get the curves correct and constant. So, I am going with an older square style. I may go back and fix the lower door to make it square also. 
I also worked on the frame and holding tanks. I added a grey and black tank. I put a propane tank up front and still have to add a fuel tank. 

16FF387A-7086-4942-A9EA-98F8A44E1893.jpeg

23A6A5C1-0197-4060-91D6-D045A98AB3FD.jpeg

9E7B2192-317F-4747-8226-0186E0E24945.jpeg