Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mark Martin ASA 1983 #2 RECO Firebird

I've been working on this Revell ASA Camaro since October of last year, got serious in March, and worked on when I could. Its for my son. Lots of overtime at my job cut into my ability to finish in a timely manner. I converted it to a third gen ASA or late model Firebird front end. It’s for a one-off car Mark Martin drove in 1983 at Indianapolis Raceway Park. In the early ‘90s Racing Champions released a 1/64 “replica” of it in their Short Track Champions series cars based on Camaros. I found some decals that kind of work and I used plastic strips and filler to change the front.

Here is the build if you are interested

The model is completed. I've been off for a couple of weeks due to use or lose, so I was able to finish it up. Turned out OK and I hope my son will like it. I only had one hitch. The windshield lower brace cracked when I put the chassis in the body, There's a structural brace molded in that's removed prior to assembly because these windshield braces are very fragile. My other cars show damage too. must have had the same problem. Anyways, I used a toothpick to spread the fenders, repair the brace, and install the glass. It's all good now. I also added a small piece of aluminum to the aft part of the driver's window.

Thanks for looking!

2v2a6SnPgxAVNRq.jpg

The decals came from a white Thunderbird subject with a Capital 300 race sponsor too. I used Microscale decal film for the stripes and windshield header. The contingency stickers are various makers

2v2a6SnDnxAVNRq.jpg

The diecast inspiration my son asked me last year if I could duplicate it. I wasn't sure, but I said I'd try

2v2ao5m3WxAVNRq.jpg

The actual car from the race at Indianapolis Raceway Park in 1983

2v2ao5mUnxAVNRq.jpg

Looks like a post race photo. Mark finished seventh. These are the only two photos I could find of his car from the race

2v2a6SnKqxAVNRq.jpg

2v2a6SncCxAVNRq.jpg

2v2a6SnwLxAVNRq.jpg

No pictures of Marks front or rear for this car. The front ends on 3rd gen Late Model Firebirds are often different, I'm guessing it depends on the company making them. I found one like this and it was easy to duplicate, so there you have it

2v2a6SnBGxAVNRq.jpg

Fortunately, the rears on 3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds appear to look the same in photos I found, so no change

2v2a6Sn6nxAVNRq.jpg

Lots of room and major set back for that engine

2v2a6SnsLxAVNRq.jpg

Here's the piece of aluminum from a pop can added to the aft part of the window. It was in the photo, easy to make and add, so I did it

2v2a6SnYFxAVNRq.jpg

Simple. easy to build, and sturdy chassis. I hope whoever has the dies for these, be it Salvinos or Atlantis. Somebody starts reissuing them again

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

On 9/20/2021 at 8:23 PM, TransAmMike said:

Well thats a cool kit with a few different possibilities.  Nice job Tim👌

Thanks! Hopefully someone will issue them again.

On 9/21/2021 at 4:54 PM, Silver Foxx said:

A lot of nice work in this , looks great , well done

Thank you! I appreciate that!

On 9/21/2021 at 8:31 PM, slusher said:

Outstanding build model!!

Thanks a lot!

On 9/22/2021 at 8:39 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thank you!

On 9/22/2021 at 8:44 AM, TarheelRick said:

Very nice conversion. Agree, wish someone would reissue these.

Thanks! We can only hope the dies exist and they will be released again.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:56 AM, PappyD340 said:

Awesome build!

Thank you!

On 9/26/2021 at 3:42 PM, Toys4Don2 said:

Excellent Pontiac conversion. Looks just like the real thing. 

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment!

On 9/27/2021 at 12:07 AM, sflam123 said:

Great job on this!!  I'm fairly certain my wife and I are sitting in the stands at IRP in the picture.  I rarely missed an ASA race there.  You nailed it on this car!

Thanks! I miss ASA racing too. Went to one race at I-70 speedway in Missouri.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:26 PM, Hans1971 said:

You're a great dad !

Thanks! I think my son will like it.

• 2 years later...