Model Cars Magazine Forum

First look inside the box: Round 2's Full Detail 1963 Nova Wagon kit w/trailer and drag engine

tim boyd

Round 2's second kit offering based off their all-new tooling of the 1963 Chevy Nova wagon is finally here (almost - it is currently in production and should be available for sale a few weeks from now).

Here's a first look at the kit contents, and....surprise! Not only does the kit add a new fully detail engine compartment detail along with custom and tow car versions based on the original 1963 annual kit content, but the tooling for the Hemi-style V8 display engine and the tow-behind trailer is all new as well.

37 images and commentary await your review at the link underlined above.  

Thanks for looking!  TIM 

DSC 0849

DSC 0843

DSC 0850

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

This is on the distribution list for November, next month (October if you're reading this back in from the future) is the release of the 442 Olds. Gonna be an expensive 60 days for some folks...

Suggested price at Autoworld is $37.99

Thanks for the price info, James.  I'll update the photo caption accordingly.  Best....TIM 

6 hours ago, wrenchr said:

Thanks Tim!! That looks very cool. Round 2 will be getting more of my money. Think that rail dragster on the decal sheet might be an Easter egg kind of thing?

I don't think it's an easter egg, but a direct call back to the decal sheet from the original issue, although this time you get two dragsters in different colors.

11 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

Is it too much to hope for AMT finding the tooling for the '62 Buick Special wagon bits? Those accessories came in that kit so could the Buick tooling be lurking somewhere?

Tony....the original Nova kit was a modification of the Buick wagon kit, not separate tooling.  Sorry 'bout that....TIM

After spending some Quality Time drooling over Tim's photos, I have to say that if this kit does not please you, very little from Round2 will.

I understand that certain subject matter builders (Supercars, JDM Fans, ect.) may not like it, but American Iron Builders of all kinds should be buying this kit in case-lots if only for the extra goodies. There is a essentially complete Diorama in each box. Just add time and paint. Add the new Mooneyes Dragster, or Revell Slingster, or even the Revell Kurtis Midget and everything will make a magnificent display.

Next year, will see some jaw dropping builds of this kit, I predict.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alexis said:

After spending some Quality Time drooling over Tim's photos, I have to say that if this kit does not please you, very little from Round2 will.

I understand that certain subject matter builders (Supercars, JDM Fans, ect.) may not like it, but American Iron Builders of all kinds should be buying this kit in case-lots if only for the extra goodies. There is a essentially complete Diorama in each box. Just add time and paint. Add the new Mooneyes Dragster, or Revell Slingster, or even the Revell Kurtis Midget and everything will make a magnificent display.

Next year, will see some jaw dropping builds of this kit, I predict.

This wagon needs MOOOOAAAR Ramp Truck...or that Holmes Wrecker that Moebius is showing off...nah BOTH...then you'd have a heck of a racing shop diorama.

12 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Tony....the original Nova kit was a modification of the Buick wagon kit, not separate tooling.  Sorry 'bout that....TIM

That's a bit of a surprise because the bodies are quite different in appearance, none of the major chrome bits are the same, and the interiors are different.

I'm having a hard time seeing that myself. Is there any solid evidence to corroborate this? The real wagons were built on different platforms ( X-Body for the Nova and Y-Body for the Buick Special) and possess zero body parts interchangeability for either the 1962 0r 1963 model years. The AMT '62 Buick Special body would have had to undergo a such major radical retooling that a newly tooled 1963 body would have been more feasible from a production and economics standpoint.

21 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Say what? Do you have some parts you can do a side by side comparo to show? Wasn't the the Buick body on frame? Forgive me for being incredulous. And I'm certainly not saying you're wrong. But those two kits seem very very different from each other.

The Buick wagon probably got scrapped after the last bunch of kits were run.  The trailer and display engine from it were reused in the Nova wagon.  Engine parts are rearranged, some not plated in the Buick kits (long block) are on the plated tree in the original Nova.  Nobody is saying that the Buick body and chassis were altered into the Nova, just that some of its extras were reused in the Nova wagon.  The Buick's mold base may have been reused for the Nova also.  No parts are shared between the Nova wagon and the hardtop/convertible, except it looks like the six-cylinder engine moved over to the wagon for '63.

If the Buick wagon still existed, we'd have seen it later as a Craftsman or Flower series kit.  I'd bet a paycheck that it is long gone.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Nobody is saying that the Buick body and chassis were altered into the Nova, just that some of its extras were reused in the Nova wagon.

Really? That's what Tim essentially said.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:07 AM, tim boyd said:

Alteration and modification mean the same thing.

Edited by SfanGoch

8 hours ago, Mark said:

The Buick wagon probably got scrapped after the last bunch of kits were run.  The trailer and display engine from it were reused in the Nova wagon.  Engine parts are rearranged, some not plated in the Buick kits (long block) are on the plated tree in the original Nova.  Nobody is saying that the Buick body and chassis were altered into the Nova, just that some of its extras were reused in the Nova wagon.  The Buick's mold base may have been reused for the Nova also.  No parts are shared between the Nova wagon and the hardtop/convertible, except it looks like the six-cylinder engine moved over to the wagon for '63.

If the Buick wagon still existed, we'd have seen it later as a Craftsman or Flower series kit.  I'd bet a paycheck that it is long gone.

I was under the impression that the Nova kit evolved from the Buick kit.  Certainly that the mold base was reused, but also that the wagon upper body portion (greenhouse) was also modified and reused.  If that is not the case, I stand corrected.  Thanks for the feedback and the correction, guys....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd