Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 1936 Taildragger

carbuilder1950

I saw this car on a magazine cover, and brought that magazine home with me.

It took me years to get to it, like most projects, their waiting in line for some personal LOVE.

The first thing I did was chop the top, and then opened the doors and added some mini-magnets, so I could hear the "SNAP" when the doors closed.

I ordered all the engine parts I needed from Replicas and Miniature, and stripped all the other engine Chrome parts, and sprayed everything with Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome, so they would match.

The front of the car was modified with 1941 Chevy truck headlights and the top of the grill frame was given 3 sorta spears, like on the cover car

I put er' all together, and I hope you like my ol' girl.

005.JPG

007.JPG

010.JPG

020.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

007.JPG

012.JPG

020.JPG

027.JPG

036.JPG

038.JPG

005.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

002.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

Edited by carbuilder1950

1 hour ago, espo said:

How did you do the pin striping decals on the flat paint on the body and have it not show ?? 

Good morning @espo

The old yellowed decals from ancient kits would have never worked, so I found some late model decals sheets from my stash, that had some of these old style pin stripe retro style decals, and I experimented a bit.

What worked was, I laid the decal on, let it dry overnight, and then the next day I sprayed Testors  #1260 Dullcote to cover the whole body, and you get what you see. Did the hood decal, the same way. Experimenting helps a lot.

I hope that helps and works for you.

Edited by carbuilder1950

Great Job David,

Love the attention to detail especially spraying all the interior red. Most including me skip this step.

Love the tip about the decals. Thats why mine are all glossy paint jobs when I do the pinstripes:)

I got lazy when I did mine and its just a curbside.