Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wanted- 1972 Chevelle

KENNEDYJR

• KENNEDYJR changed the title to Wanted- 1971 Chevelle
  • KENNEDYJR changed the title to Wanted- 1972 Chevelle
2 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Good luck. Finding a complete kit are pricey - anywhere from $200 and up.

???

Here's an unbuilt with new decals for under $30 out the door.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174919741217?hash=item28ba076f21%3Ag%3AiLkAAOSwEqdhMCXU&nma=true&si=WKrO5WAEui6JZ75VxPH6TuPsbnQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Majority of '72 Chevelle kits are $200 and up. Just saying...😉

7 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

That was a quick sale. Look in eBay and you'll understand why they’re pricey. Far and few nowadays...

I'm working on one too.  As seen at the burnout contest at Cleetus and Cars.  I think I paid about $40 for the AMT version on eBay.  The MPC version is more accurate, although AMT used much of the MPC tooling.  The grille in the AMT kit is from a Monte Carlo.  It will need a lot of work!

20210713_170945.thumb.jpg.7380dc5865eb72ef0b82d2e6d28d4285.jpg

chevell.thumb.jpg.1e68b8c16e2dfdacd710a3f2bced5c22.jpg

I think in the early 2000's AMT did a  revision of the 72 Chevelle using the same body but retooling the front-end? It became part of the Pro Shop series around 2005. Does anyone know if Round ll has those tools? If so, maybe we'll see it come back by them, if we're lucky.

Because what in the world is going on with Ebay?... the prices of stuff is sky high. I haven't looked for awhile but I  just looked on there and some kits are 3 to 400 dollars! Yikes! I understand that for some kits but it seems like a trend to jack up prices on Ebay. I wanna meet the guy who's paying $1,500 and up for a box of plastic for personal reasons.😆 anyways here is the kit I'm referring to.

1152418-26748-73-720.jpg

AMT-31975-6.jpg

5 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I think in the early 2000's AMT did a  revision of the 72 Chevelle using the same body but retooling the front-end? It became part of the Pro Shop series around 2005. Does anyone know if Round ll has those tools? If so, maybe we'll see it come back by them, if we're lucky.

Because what in the world is going on with Ebay?... the prices of stuff is sky high. I haven't looked for awhile but I  just looked on there and some kits are 3 to 400 dollars! Yikes! I understand that for some kits but it seems like a trend to jack up prices on Ebay. I wanna meet the guy who's paying $1,500 and up for a box of plastic for personal reasons.😆 anyways here is the kit I'm referring to.

1152418-26748-73-720.jpg

AMT-31975-6.jpg

What’d I tell ya?! Now you believe me?  It’s not just the ‘72 Chevelle kits, it’s all rare and hard to find kits. 

From what I understand, Round 2 should have this tool. They change it back and forth from a ‘70 (which was last issued pretty recently) to a ‘72. 

Also, Round 2 should still have the old MPC ‘72 Chevelle. That was last issued in the 80’s. They could make just a few changes to that one (add back stock wheels, and unblock the “mild and wild” parts) and get pretty close to it’s original annual form. 

I seem to remember there being some issues with one or the other bodies. Some inaccuracies. I’m not that familiar with either body myself.

If I ran Round 2, I would try to find the MPC tool, massage the body if needed, and give it the retro release treatment. The MPC kit had some nice drag parts (roll bar, ladder bars, hi rise intake, multi-piece headers) that would be nice to have back. 

I agree that it seems that some sellers on eBay are absolutely out of their minds when it comes to some of the prices they’re asking for out of production, but somewhat common kits. 

Problem is, back when RC2 (Racing Champions) was running AMT and MPC into the ground, they did a sloppy retool of the AMT 72 back from the 70 kit they had, and they botched up the grille area badly. 

The grill pattern is wrong for a 72 and has no horizontal dividers. However, the pattern would match a 71, if you're willing to cut it up to make one. Also, the headlight bezels are completely square, with no soft curves like the 1:1.

The MPC kit has been sketchy since the early 80s (SSlasher issue) when they tried to restore the super stock racer back to a street Chevelle. The fender lines are wavy and soft and the headlights are "bugged" out. And there are no stock wheels included.

forums-114.jpg.cb03dc4258fbde787d7039587fac2cb7.jpgforums-103.jpg.209c1fa4bd9624fb51c95870c16727c5.jpg

(Pictures pulled from Scott 8950)

Oh and by the way, even though it shows the MPC kit on the box, this is actually the AMT kit inside. Thanks, RC2!

products-124.jpg.afc1314c33b83e957ba4f6d4d971379b.jpg

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Problem is, back when RC2 (Racing Champions) was running AMT and MPC into the ground, they did a sloppy retool of the AMT 72 back from the 70 kit they had, and they botched up the grille area badly. 

The grill pattern is wrong for a 72 and has no horizontal dividers. However, the pattern would match a 71, if you're willing to cut it up to make one. 

Your absolutely correct.  I have a more correct 72 grill for mine.

20211006_175441.jpg

Edited by Scott8950
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, Steamboat said:

I'm working on one too.  As seen at the burnout contest at Cleetus and Cars.  I think I paid about $40 for the AMT version on eBay.  The MPC version is more accurate, although AMT used much of the MPC tooling.  The grille in the AMT kit is from a Monte Carlo.  It will need a lot of work!

20210713_170945.thumb.jpg.7380dc5865eb72ef0b82d2e6d28d4285.jpg

chevell.thumb.jpg.1e68b8c16e2dfdacd710a3f2bced5c22.jpg

That looks amazing so far!

On 9/20/2021 at 10:32 PM, KENNEDYJR said:

In search of a 1972 Chevelle so I can build a replica of the VGG Independence.

I'll... be... dipped .  I love VGG -- the Bieri's are great folks ; Derek's so flippin' funny and deadpan ! Best of luck with your project of Independence  ! Should be fun replicating the ornate details on the engine alone .

________ __ _____________ __ _____________ __ ______________ __ ____________________

I have one of those c.2004 issues of the AMT 1972 SS-454 Chevelle which I'd bought 15 years ago . It would be fantastic if Round2 were to spruce-up the facia of the AMT '72 , and release it in vintage packaging . I'm planning to build a phantom LS-6 with Cowl Induction from my copy .