Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Nova.

ewetwo

I'm doing this black Nova along with the 64 Comet. It too has been painted and stripped numerous time for the same reasons I had to with the Comet. This time I spray it with Duplicolor Primer. Several coats. The instead of using the Duplicolor Black. I opted to try Rustoleum 2X gloss Black. The best it's looked so I am running with it.  It's really much smoother than the pic shows.

nova.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo

I sprayed my 66 Nova with Winter Gray Rust-Oleum and cleared it with Rust-Oleum Clear Gloss with no issues.  If memory serves me correct I think I've also shot Tamiya TS-13 clear gloss over Rust-Oleum paint with not issues.  Now that's just me here in southern Indiana.  Always do a spoon test to see how it turns out.     

20210520_144730.jpg.107fa8b91e82f6bf8187dea3815ebd1f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I was trying to do the side trim. The knife kept wondering so then I tried masking tape and the chrome pen. Looks good until I took the tape off. The chrome pen leached under the tape.

I assume you mean Molotow? if so, that is actually an ink, and is very thin, so sadly it doesn't surprise me that it leeched under the tape.

Since you're stripping it again, when you get it out take a little time to go around the trim with the reverse side of an x-acto blade. Scribe a shallow notch around the trim so after paint there is something to guide the blade when you do BMF.

Another method for BMF is to apply masking tape next to the trim and use that as the guide for your blade. once you make your cut in the BMF peel up the tape and it should take the extra BMF with it.

I will try that. Thank you Craig. Also. On my 64 Comet. On the rear quarter panel. The chrome trim splits  by the door and there is a large line running back to the tail lights. But a very thin trim line goes down and then straight back. It is as thin as a piece of tread so I can't foil it. Would you suggest putting a thin line of foil on before the last coat of paint and then gently remove the paint on that line to expose the foil?

2 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I will try that. Thank you Craig. Also. On my 64 Comet. On the rear quarter panel. The chrome trim splits  by the door and there is a large line running back to the tail lights. But a very thin trim line goes down and then straight back. It is as thin as a piece of tread so I can't foil it. Would you suggest putting a thin line of foil on before the last coat of paint and then gently remove the paint on that line to expose the foil?

That may be your best approach for that. Maybe someone else will have an idea

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ewetwo said:

So. I’m not too sold on clear coat. The Comet has several coats of clear. The Nova none. And they look just the same. The both have this grainy look to them. I’ll coat the Nova with Pledge Revive and see how that looks.

FC054939-7618-4617-982D-967398102251.jpeg

What type of clear did you use?  Looks more like mist coats to me.  I'd clean it off good and give it a couple wet coats of the clear.  If it's an emanel of lacquer (don't know about the other clears) you can wet sand and polish and it will look better.  

Edited by Zippi

The cans don't say what type of paint is inside. I even asked at the auto parts store and they didn't have a clue. I assume the paint is a lacquer by the way the pint would peal off instead of disolving. And I did spray it heavy. More than I was comfortable with. LOL. Because these 2 have been in the purple pond 5 times each. Never painting another black car. That is for sure. LOL

I hear you on the black. I have a large collection of finished models, only one is black, flat black. I only did this as the truck I was replicating was flat black and weathered.  

My father was a bodyman and he hated painting black cars, they had to be perfect or the flaws showed up like they had a neon sign on them.