Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo (Revell 85-4496)

Dominik

i finished this Monte Carlo in Jan 2020. 

My brother converted the body with a T-Top, that is clear casted and painted with tamiya smoke. 

The chassis, interior and finish was my part. changes are dual-exhaust, seatbelts installed, some wiring and flocking the carpet. 

On two issues i will give a hint (i built two of the MCs with the same problems). first was the installation from the engine hood. it hits the interiortube behind the dashboard. second was the mounting of the rear side windows. they have to put in from the outside, but if the body is painted, i had to sand down the sides from the windowpieces to fit.

overall a really good kit. looks awesome, fits well. decals "lay by them self while mounting in position" - i thought this work will be terrible but it wasn't. the only sad thing is, on black you can not see the lettering on the doors.

here we go:

CIMG200906_024.jpg

CIMG200906_025.jpg

CIMG200906_050.jpg

CIMG200906_026.jpg

CIMG200906_049.jpg

CIMG200516_087.jpg

CIMG200906_028.jpg

CIMG200906_048.jpg

CIMG200906_051.jpg

CIMG200906_052.jpg

CIMG200906_053.jpg

CIMG200906_054.jpg

The G-Body Monte Carlo is easily my top 5 favorite vehicles.

Nicely done - love the T-top conversion.  The last time I tried a similar conversion, the A Pillars became brittle and snapped on me.  Kudos to you for the execution.

The consistent problem I had with this kit is the slightly warped body by Revell/Monogram - including the Aerocoupe version..  Doesn't seem to matter which release date: they all seem to be slightly twisted.

Does anybody else have that problem?

Great looking build. The paint work and the decals look beautiful and the T-Top looks just like an OEM T-Top. You mentioned the assembly issues. The rear quarter windows can catch someone if they aren't used to the way GM did them at that time. I ordered a new '86 Monte Carlo SS that we had for many years. This was at a time when GM was starting to go to the flush mounted exterior windows. They only did these windows and none of the others on this and the other GM models that shared  their bodies with the Mont Carlo. Good looking exhaust system and the gold car has a realistic looking chassis and a well done OEM exhaust system. 

thank you very much - much appreciated!

On 9/24/2021 at 3:08 PM, Intmd8r said:

The G-Body Monte Carlo is easily my top 5 favorite vehicles.

Nicely done - love the T-top conversion.  The last time I tried a similar conversion, the A Pillars became brittle and snapped on me.  Kudos to you for the execution.

The consistent problem I had with this kit is the slightly warped body by Revell/Monogram - including the Aerocoupe version..  Doesn't seem to matter which release date: they all seem to be slightly twisted.

Does anybody else have that problem?

As i build a second, only the hood was a little bit warped.

On 9/24/2021 at 3:33 PM, Plowboy said:

Very nice looking Monte Carlo Dominik! The interior color looks perfect! What did you use?

The interior is painted with valejo "Blackred" (70.859). all brushed the same. the semigloss parts (dashboard or doorpanels f.e.) are handbrsehd with future to give it the "right" shine. the more layers, the more shiny like leather.