Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/20 Lancia Stratos Rally

I finally retired and sold my business and this is the first project completed since then. Hope to have many more. This kit was imported by Entex but was originally produced by Bandai.  1/20 scale with steering wheels and opening front and rear  decks.  Biggest hurdle on this kit were the ancient decals. There was no way all those  Alitalia graphics were going to lay down perfect so painting the red and green was the best option. I have done this livery before so I had some experience.  The sponser decals did come off the sheet but only with several coats of clear varnish  and lots of soak time. Even with all that that had to be very carefully pryed away from the backing by sliding a #11 knife under them. Thankfully they stuck and laid down well.  The rest of the details are in the captions under the pictures. Thanks for looking and comments welcome.DSC07402.JPG.fb868997f9f96ebdc7f438a2617c63b4.JPG

Seatbelts were my idea and didn't come with the kit. Material is silk thread and hardware from KA Models

DSC07404.JPG.7d49f34b32be3f3a7770db240ca4bb64.JPG

Finished graphics and interior

DSC07405.JPG.da6f26446b198fc5c16801c007c6a363.JPG

Even without the body work on the car looks fast.

DSC07406.JPG.80a51348049795b586ce5fb1309954c1.JPGFront veiw, all the lines and extras wired and plumbed. 

DSC07408.JPG.66d44f07b412c6c6387fcf9033914525.JPG

Engine had lots of extra lines and wires to attach. It fit pretty snug too. 

DSC07413.JPG.3828fffad76e6481c946894774c3b6d3.JPG

Completed car on its wheels. Note the jewelers screws holding the front and rear panels in place. These were absolutely necessary as they would not have lined up properly. Took some engineering to achieve this.

DSC07414.JPG.8a3ce934175183bf7f9be3743f74089f.JPG

Rear veiw, The exhaust was very tricky and some modifications were required to get this right. 

DSC07415.JPG.1d8ba6cc2a25a810dc348c0af42fb63a.JPG

Stance of the car is very aggressive. Overall I liked the way this turned out and Bandai, considering the age of the kit, did a fair job representing the car, Now I just have to finish the 1/12   Otaki version of this car that I own. 

2 hours ago, absmiami said:

merry retirement

one of my favorite sports cars

consider doing the 12th scale as a non racer - although you mite have to source different tires ???

Thanks for the incentive Andy but I already have plans for the 1/12 as it will be the same as this one. When completed I will have 5 cars in the same livery but all in different scales.

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Great job Rich! ... I’ve always loved the Stratos too.... I can only imagine how much more I’d be able to focus if I were retired. Enjoy!

Josh I have actually worked physically harder  since I retired. I asked the people who bought my business if they had a job opening so I could come back and rest. But seriously, it took 8yrs of trying  to sell that and it was a dream come true. Now if I can only extricate myself from it completely.  But keep dreaming like I did. And one day you, when you do retire, you will wake up and ask yourself what will I do today.  Build models....of course...what else is there.

Congratulations Rich on your retirement and the Stratos.  The seat belt hardware and the jewelers screws really caught my eye.  You really put a lot into this model and it shows especially considering its age.  Thanks for sharing it with us and your commentary is appreciated.

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Congratulations Rich on your retirement and the Stratos.  The seat belt hardware and the jewelers screws really caught my eye.  You really put a lot into this model and it shows especially considering its age.  Thanks for sharing it with us and your commentary is appreciated.

It was my pleasure Gary. I fully plan on enjoying my retirement. I am sure you will see a lot more here. 

On 9/24/2021 at 2:22 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

Thanks for the incentive Andy but I already have plans for the 1/12 as it will be the same as this one. When completed I will have 5 cars in the same livery but all in different scales.

excellent!  Do you have the 1/10 scale kit to build?   

this is my favorite car of all time.  

18 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

You sure will Helmut....you may even get tired of seeing my posts. Sports racing, F-1, exotic cars is all I do so you should be delighted. 

This is exactly my cup of tea, as you might say - the US classics I'm posting here from time to time are from long ago, my interest is mainly on classic sports cars, sports racing and rally cars.

I will never ever get tired of stuff like that !

36 minutes ago, Hans1971 said:

I think you should have retired much earlier.😏
Enjoy, looks as if your time is well spend👍

Thank you Hans,  retirement just gives me stress free building time.  I have actually been building models continously since 1964. The Stratos was my 827th completion. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, steveracer said:

What 5 scales are you building the Stratos in?

1/12  (unbuilt),  1/16 (built) 1/20 (built)  1/24 (built)  1/25 (Unbuilt)  plus I have a couple of 1/64 diecast   didn't know there was a 1/10 one who makes it.  The 1/12 is Nitto but I believe Otaki also has the molds. 

Rich. Here is the 1/10 scale kit by Nichimo. 

Nd you say over 800 builds!  Hory Mory that is huge!  Congratulations on that number.  I have over 200 instruction sheets stored in a box to keep track of my tally….. got some catching up to do.  

I also have a few Stratos models built. 1/43, 1/24, 1/20 so far…..

FB9B9348-0BD3-4BCA-B4BB-09FD6580DF31.jpeg

13 hours ago, steveracer said:

Rich. Here is the 1/10 scale kit by Nichimo. 

Nd you say over 800 builds!  Hory Mory that is huge!  Congratulations on that number.  I have over 200 instruction sheets stored in a box to keep track of my tally….. got some catching up to do.  

I also have a few Stratos models built. 1/43, 1/24, 1/20 so far…..

FB9B9348-0BD3-4BCA-B4BB-09FD6580DF31.jpeg

Thanks for the info Steve.  I have been building continuously since 1964.  That might account for my total. That and I always have had a dedicated work area. Interesting story. About 20+yrs ago I was talking to a fellow modeler in a hobby shop. I asked him how many kits he had completed.  He said somewhere between 4-500. I figured I had about 300 done at that time. Since all of mine are on display I went back and counted them. To my dismay I only had 298 done. That weekend I finished two Mercedes 300SL kits. I keep all  the box tops. I dated them, added all the pertinent information and started numbering them. I have done so ever since.  The Stratos was 827.  I have friends who have done more than 1000. So I have some catching up to do as well. 200 is a good number. I know of others who will never do that many in a lifetime. So keep it up. I will  be interested to see you start that 1/12 Stratos. Mine is painted and the body somewhat fitted.  
Thanks again...Rich