Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1932 Ford Sedan Delivery*

Zippi

Picked this up yesterday at Wally World and think it will be my next build.   I'm kinda parcel to the Fat Fender cars & trucks so this one caught my eye really quick.  I don't think I've seen this one posted here since I've been a member.  Never had an MPC kit before so if you have built this model I'm looking for the pro's and con's and pics.    

20210924_104248_resized.jpg.143c2431d1df702b09fda9aab89b70cf.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crossfire 2004 said:

5871DDA6-5663-442E-8C0F-697836BB1252.jpeg.97b15f11b4efaa944c764ecca5e01eaa.jpeg56D09B0B-1742-47AD-B437-4143EE84E228.jpeg.bb89dbbf7fb3feba6f932b548d6374a6.jpeg11941E85-C968-43A6-948F-FBCBC7D73AD7.jpeg.469eafa6bc9e4bedfbef1d1495e3db3b.jpegI built the ‘Truckin’ On Down’ boxed version some time ago, swopped out the front axle and the wheels to get it sitting right, and I think it turned out ok.

Yeah that looks Gangster.  Nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crossfire 2004 said:

5871DDA6-5663-442E-8C0F-697836BB1252.jpeg.97b15f11b4efaa944c764ecca5e01eaa.jpeg56D09B0B-1742-47AD-B437-4143EE84E228.jpeg.bb89dbbf7fb3feba6f932b548d6374a6.jpeg11941E85-C968-43A6-948F-FBCBC7D73AD7.jpeg.469eafa6bc9e4bedfbef1d1495e3db3b.jpegI built the ‘Truckin’ On Down’ boxed version some time ago, swopped out the front axle and the wheels to get it sitting right, and I think it turned out ok.

I like those artillery wheels.  What kit did those come out of?

Just opened the box.  Not much flash vs some AMT kits I've had.  The white letter tires look awesome.  Body fits the running board/fender assembly nicely.  Not much to the instructions.  Trying now to think of what color.  2 tone or one color with a black top.    

20210925_141510_resized.jpg

20210925_141522_resized.jpg

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

Just opened the box.  Not much flash vs some AMT kits I've had.  The white letter tires look awesome.  Body fits the running board/fender assembly nicely.  Not much to the instructions.  Trying now to think of what color.  2 tone or one color with a black top.    

20210925_141510_resized.jpg

That's odd. The original versions had the rear side glass areas already filled in. Does this version come with the fenders molded in black?

34 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

What other parts are molded in black? 

I think the frame and suspension are moulded in black in this version of this kit too - not sure why they would go to that trouble…perhaps leftover stock of SOME parts from a previous run or something weird like that?

Like Jim said on the molded black parts.  The body, interior bucket, hood, ratdiator shroud are in white.  So I guess since the molded black parts are in black it would be tough to get the white and black parts to come out looking the same if primed and painted all one color?

i could be wrong, but I believe this kit was based on the 32 Sedan/phaeton kit molded in the 70's as part of the MPC Switchers series. @tim boyd would know more for sure. I think the body is relatively accurate, and the suspension, engine speed parts are very 70's

Edited by Mr. Metallic
updated information

Hi Bob,

Interesting that the side windows panels are separate, like mentioned earlier, both my Truckin on Down versions had the panels moulded in.  If you were a stickler for accuracy, I suspect the roof is about a scale inch too high but its not terrible.  The body is also a fraction narrow at the back but again, you can live with it.

MPC left the fuel tank off the rear altogether so if you have some AMT, Monogram or Revell Deuce parts lying around, they can be substituted.  The frame bears little resemblance to a real 32 Ford but correctly assembled it fits the car well and will look acceptable.

One think I struggled to accept was the extremely thick lower windshield frame.  You could file the top edge of the lower frame down to a thinner profile, or cheat like I did and gently slice the lower section off from the vertical sides, slide it down a bit and reglue. It is definitely worth it to remove the toylike appearance.

Finally, if you have an AMT 32 grille insert, I think it fits the MPC shell and is more accurate. 

It is the only 32 Sedan Delivery kit available in styrene and a few tweaks are worth the effort.

Good luck with yours!

Cheers

Alan

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

i could be wrong, but I believe this kit was molded in the 70's as part of the MPC Switchers series. @tim boyd would know more for sure. I think the body is relatively accurate, and the suspension, engine speed parts are very 70's

The Sedan Delivery kit was not part of the original Switchers series (the original Switchers Deuce kits were the 5WCoupe/Roadster and the Sedan/Phaeton), but the Sedan Delivery was clearly derived from the Tudor Switchers and shared almost all its contents (other than the body itself) with that prior kit....TIM