Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1932 Ford Sedan Delivery*

Zippi

You can get it lower by removing material from the inside of that crossmember like Espo suggested earlier. That will allow the spring to sit into the frame, gaining you a little drop. Beyond that, to get any lower you'll have to start z-ing the frame, or at least switching out the kit axle for something with a heavier drop. 

49 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

You can get it lower by removing material from the inside of that crossmember like Espo suggested earlier. That will allow the spring to sit into the frame, gaining you a little drop. Beyond that, to get any lower you'll have to start z-ing the frame, or at least switching out the kit axle for something with a heavier drop. 

Yeah I'll have to work on the cross member to get it just a little lower.

11 hours ago, Zippi said:

I got a little bit done on the engine this morning.  I thought I had lost the alternator.  It's so bad looking I just missed it on the tree.  Engine still needs some touch up and completed.  Got the distributor wires glued in.  Not sure how you fella's do your distributors but I use the supplied one and use a pin to get a starter hole and drill it out with a .069 bit.  Then I glue the 9 30 AWG wires in.  I've found that the Gel works better and doesn't wick up the wires.  I guess I'm cheap, can't see paying for something I can make that looks pretty good.  Just my thoughts fella's.  With the wires glued in it gives me something to hold onto when painting the distributor.         

20211006_094538.jpg

20211006_095235.jpg

20211006_095442.jpg

20211006_100932.jpg

20211006_094751.jpg

I will have to try this as soon as possible! Thanks for the tip!

The ride height looks good, of course lowering the front a little more will give it more of a classic hotrod rake, so it works out either way.

I think the artillery wheels with the spinners is the way to go.

Everything looks great so far.

David G.

19 hours ago, Zippi said:

Well....I managed to brake the front axle while I was removing two of the leaf springs as it is very weak. I glued a new brace in but still need to tweak it into shape.  This is the ride height I'm getting now.  Don't know if I can take another leaf spring out but I'm uncertain about the height.  Those are not the wheels I'm using.  Just used them for the mock up.    

20211006_082807.jpg

20211006_112527.jpg

Hi Bob!

Nice project! The riding height of this kit, in its standard form, is much in tune with the era when it came out... The BIG protuding rear tires and more than sufficient ground clearance shout of the early 70's. The boxart on the latest Coke reissue does not even try to hide that fact. The offset big mag wheels on the box top absolutely require more clearance with the fender, which was the way 1/1 car were set back then...

Your narrower rolling stock allows more "rake" if you fancy it. That would make it more in line with the "current look". Choices, choices...

CT 

Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but these are not "artillery wheels". These are wire wheels. it may be deceiving because the spokes are thicker than 1:1 would be, but that necessitated by the plastic molding process. 

20211005_110130.jpg

Here's some examples of actual "artillery" style wheels, which are usually made out of solid steel with perforation cut or cast into the design.

image.jpeg.3eae4375b44cc37dd519e36f601be9ef.jpeg 1935 Dodge Plymouth 16 Artillery Wheels Rims for A Vintage 1932 Hot on  PopScreen

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but these are not "artillery wheels". These are wire wheels. it may be deceiving because the spokes are thicker than 1:1 would be, but that necessitated by the plastic molding process. 

20211005_110130.jpg

Here's some examples of actual "artillery" style wheels, which are usually made out of solid steel with perforation cut or cast into the design.

image.jpeg.3eae4375b44cc37dd519e36f601be9ef.jpeg 1935 Dodge Plymouth 16 Artillery Wheels Rims for A Vintage 1932 Hot on  PopScreen

You could be right about that Craig.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

20211005_110130.jpg

I noted the same thing, but was debating on if I should say anything or not. You beat me to it. 

The “Spokes” or “Wire” wheels are more correct for this car. True Artillery wheels look better on something after 1935. 

• Like 1

I've change gears once again fella's.  Now I'm thinking about going with one of the stock wheels & tires.  I didn't like how the rear wheels stick out past the fenders so I modified the inner hub to set the rear wheels in like the front fender.  This also required cutting 1/8" off the axle.  The ride height didn't come out as low as I would have liked but it's a lot better than the stock height was.    

20211010_094222.jpg

20211010_093125.jpg

20211010_093132.jpg

Edited by Zippi

I was looking at the remaining parts in the kit and noticed (2) windshield frames and (2) grille shells.  The parts on the far left and far right are what is shown in the instructions.  Not sure what MPC's thinking process was on the extra parts.  The grille will not fit the shorter grille shell and the other windshield from is to small.  In fact, both just barely fit the opening in the body.  Just hard to get a pic of the fit issue.  Not sure how to glue it in without having a big gap somewhere.    

20211010_120938.jpg

20211010_121658.jpg

20211010_121705.jpg

16 hours ago, Zippi said:

I was looking at the remaining parts in the kit and noticed (2) windshield frames and (2) grille shells.  The parts on the far left and far right are what is shown in the instructions.  Not sure what MPC's thinking process was on the extra parts.  The grille will not fit the shorter grille shell and the other windshield from is to small.  In fact, both just barely fit the opening in the body.  Just hard to get a pic of the fit issue.  Not sure how to glue it in without having a big gap somewhere.    

20211010_120938.jpg

20211010_121658.jpg

20211010_121705.jpg

I haven't built the MPC kit, but if it's anything like the AMT kits, the windshield frame mounts from the inside, and is sandwiched between the cowl and the windshield  glass. The squarish frame is for the phaeton, and the shorter grill shell is a custom 29 Model A shell; a curious option that's been around pretty much the entire lifespan of that kit.

24 minutes ago, David G. said:

Good call on the rear axle adjustment, nice work wiring the engine.

Again with the windshield frames?! 😮

The model car gods must have a twisted sense of humor! :D 

David G.

Thanks Dave.  I know right.  Well....3rd time's the charm so the next one will be good right???

I now have a rolling chassis so to speak.  I checked out the windshield and frame fit to the body and the glass fits the frame fine but the assembly is just to small for the opening.  I'll have to think about this over a couple cups of coffee.  I was going to get the body in primer today but there is a chance of rain and the humidity it way to high.

20211011_081506.jpg

20211011_081855.jpg

20211011_081912.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Ok....made a little more headway on the Sedan.  I did a pretty much plain Jane interior.  I blacked out the whole bottom as I was loosing interest in the crappy parts I was gluing on.  I may go back and paint the floor black.  This is the last MPC kit for me.  

20211011_113759.jpg

20211011_114450.jpg

20211011_114851.jpg

Edited by Zippi