Model Cars Magazine Forum

An in-depth look at all the parts of a test shot of the upcoming Moebius 1965 Chevy II Gasser....

tim boyd

6 hours ago, peteski said:

Mr. Boyd,

You are very skillfully pussyfooting around the subject of the inaccuracies.  Yes, you admit there are some inaccuracies.  Just like a hard-core politician, you go into all sorts of explanations and reasons for this, but you don't provide any substance. Let me post a copy of what I posted earlier.  If you would only do that, then we would all clearly know just how much off, and in which areas, the model body is compared to the 1:1 car.

I would think there is a very easy way to resolve this "chopped top" discussion once and for all

You could take some measurements of the model you have in hand, and compare them to the 1:1 car's dimensions.  Even if you don't have the 1:1 measurements, I suspect that there are members on this forum that have access to the 1:1 car.  No photos,  no lens differences, no different photo angles. Just pure measurements.

Of course you might not want to do that for obvious reasons.  Of course, when the kit is out, someone will eventually do this, and the truth will be told (one way or another).

It can't be any clearer or simpler than that.

Watch here on Saturday or Sunday when I post my "Upon Reflection" part of the build album, after I show the finished model tonight.  It can't be any clearer or simpler than that.  TIM  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tbusch said:

The roof ain't right for what, a gasser?

Comparing the 2 photos above their are lots of thing wrong with the kit other than the roof line. The front end sits to high, the grill is wrong, wrong tires and wheels, some lumpy thing in the hood and their is something hanging out the back of the model that is not on the production car.

Oh yea, it is a gasser not a production car. When the OEM model comes out, have at it on the roofline and whatever, but this kit right here is a race car nothing else.

Exactly. This is a fantasy build racecar kit. It's entirely possible that whatever car they scanned to create the 3D files that the molds were based on had a chop.

BuT ThE ROof Is WrONg..

wah1.jpg.dcfd0468e61d8eb237d9970a91a45a6a.jpg

Anyway...

I have a number of other comments that I tried typing here. 

Comments regarding the shape.

Comments regarding angles and lighting.

Comments regarding the guy who seems to be dead set on blaming the Chinese for every issue in the model car industry.

But I deleted those and doubt I'll comment any further. I'd probably have to ban myself. Or put myself on moderation.

Tim, keep up the good work. Thanks for trying to give everyone a sneak peek of an upcoming kit.  

Hopefully the comments directed at you in this thread don't dissuade you from doing this in the future.

And the easiest solution is for Moebius to just rename the kit. 

1965 Chevy II Chopped-Roof Gasser

Boom. Change the printing on the box and everything is accurate now. The negative Nancy's can't complain about the roof anymore. 

But they still will.

😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tim, thank you for taking the time to share this buildup with us. I kind of wondered to myself how this would all go down when you announced it, but knew in my heart exactly how the reactions would go. And my heart was right. Thank you for continuing to persevere. I understand peoples frustrations with the kit development process. But whether the kit is accurate or not I'm not ready to debate, until I see your completed build and then have one in my own hands. 

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Not entirely true. Look how the Revell Foose FD-100 and Cadillac kits turned out. Proof positive of the advantages of 3D scanning. Both models were as true to the full scale versions as it gets. Pretty sure the tooling for those were cut and manufactured in the same country.

In all likelihood, the Nova gasser is what it is. All that's left to do when it hits the market is vote with our wallets. I've seen enough to make my decision. 

Strawman ploy.  Those particular examples do not negate the entirety of what I stated.  Go back and read about the Revell ‘68 Charger that had to modified because Dodge corporate didn’t like the rooftop.  Or, read about the ‘61 Impala that had to be modified by Lindberg because it too had major problems with the body.  There are many examples of this, if you do a search.

If the other models were corrected due to their inaccuracies, why won't they correct the Chevy II chop top before it goes into production?  Or, will they?  This “it is what it is” sounds weak.   If people on here have that attitude about it, then they probably won’t fix it.   Mediocrity at best around here, I guess.

In a way, you sort of contradict yourself.  If 3D scanning is the “be all end all” for complete accuracy, then why didn't they use that?   Too expensive?  Tolerance stacking?  Nope, I’m still not buying it.

Edited by the other Mike S.

39 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Exactly. This is a fantasy build racecar kit. It's entirely possible that whatever car they scanned to create the 3D files that the molds were based on had a chop.

BuT ThE ROof Is WrONg..

wah1.jpg.dcfd0468e61d8eb237d9970a91a45a6a.jpg

Anyway...

I have a number of other comments that I tried typing here. 

Comments regarding the shape.

Comments regarding angles and lighting.

Comments regarding the guy who seems to be dead set on blaming the Chinese for every issue in the model car industry.

But I deleted those and doubt I'll comment any further. I'd probably have to ban myself. Or put myself on moderation.

Tim, keep up the good work. Thanks for trying to give everyone a sneak peek of an upcoming kit.  

Hopefully the comments directed at you in this thread don't dissuade you from doing this in the future.

And the easiest solution is for Moebius to just rename the kit. 

1965 Chevy II Chopped-Roof Gasser

Boom. Change the printing on the box and everything is accurate now. The negative Nancy's can't complain about the roof anymore. 

But they still will.

😛

Exactly. And those chasing windmills still are. 

On 8/22/2021 at 4:05 PM, Dave Metzner said:

Here, is the New Moebius 1965 Chevy II Gasser. This is a third test shot. as of this date there is no box art, only the very start of an instruction sheet and no decal sheet. There are a few minor items to be revised before production..... BUT this is a good idea of how the finished model will look.. My best GUESS is store shelves before the end of the year..

DSC00643.thumb.JPG.f07ab2a7b448e0f43182a07b58aac23f.JPG

DSC00645.JPG

DSC00649.JPG

DSC00650.JPG

Definitely a terrible mess NOT!

OK guys, here is a link to the album of the completed build along with associated commentary.  

In it I also address what I believe is the biggest single factor in the body leading to the conclusion of many that the top is chopped.  It can be remedied pretty easily, I believe, as I describe in the specific photo caption.  Doing so, I predict, will reduce, and possibly for some, largely eliminate the view that the top is chopped. 

Tomorrow or Sunday I will post a further update where I attempt to answer some of the questions that have been posted above about the body proportions, including how the body compares to the Round 2 Nova wagon reissue and and upcoming Moebius Nova hardtop.  Spoiler alert...some surprises await. 

Thanks for following along.  Everyone is, of course, welcome to provide their final thoughts, but please, keep it civil and do not falsely presume I have any other motive here than to present to you a sneak preview of an upcoming kit that I think will prove to be very popular with most of the modeling community when it finally becomes available early next year. 

Thanks....TIM   

DSC 0969

PS - looks like I put the rear wheelie bar assembly on upside down in my haste to finish the model.  Will have to fix that PDQ!  TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Thanks 4

Nice build Tim!  However, those front windows still look really really looooong contributing to the chop top roofline appearance.  Also, I still don’t like having to “glue” the lower body-sides to the chassis to retain the slight tuck under.  

Perhaps your 2022 build will address those problems.

Thanks.

Thanks Tim. 
Other than the pictures, we could just have a standard thread template. And a “I’ve seen and laid hands on it” yes or no check box. 
Also, implying someone is a whore (opinion for $) is uncalled for, and we deserve better than that, especially Tim. I have no doubt of his integrity. 

A06A95C8-4715-423E-9A4A-71DF0B35DF22.jpeg.311727e31372655d4499eb4123759a71.jpeg83881A5E-5AC7-4685-8E86-ECA121F27A44.jpeg.7ef01fb3ffbabd5c702b25009c9797c5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice build,  I guess as a gasser it's OK. It still looks off to me.  Believe me,  I'm not a rivet counter by any stretch, this is one of the few times I've ever seen something far enough off to say something.  I'll probably pass on it. I'm hoping the stock kit is accurate.  I had kind of hoped to kitbash this with the stock one to do the sedan.  Og well. 

Yup, nice build, Tim, and a solid assessment I think.  Many thanks!

The "who the eff do you think you are" note falls more on both sides of this discussion than it usually has in others, and that note applies to ANYBODY here trying to dictate to others how they contribute content.

This isn't your hobby bench.  It's an online discussion forum.  And if your knickers are going to get all in a wad over a frank discussion about plainly visible inaccuracies, YOU are the one with the problem. Trying to mandate to everyone else how futile the discussion is in a discussion medium is only going to get you the shove back you're begging for, and in the end, all you'll have to bitch about is getting treated the way you treat others.

BUT.

The self-appointed content-dictators have some actual traction in this thread, for a one-in-a-trillion change.  Because just as the less-blind members here should be able to point out any given plastic emperor's actual state of dress, Tim also has the latitude to share content any way he sees fit.  He is providing a COURTESY with his preview. 

Those of you who instantly equate a kit criticism with an attack on Tim, great with me if you just go ahead and keep stepping on that rake.  It's amusing any more (which is why I've really taken to the laughing "like" these days 😁).

But the game changes when you start calling Tim names or impugning his integrity.  That scat-slinging puerility has never been a good look on the other side, and it won't work for you either.

Those of you essentially called Tim a shill, there's a nice steaming tureen of crow for you in his notes on the Nova.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'll just say that every week I see models "under glass" built from kits with MUCH more egregious flaws and shape problems than what is or isn't in this particular Nova. And we've all been happily building them for years--decades. (Yes, I've built some. I've corrected some. And some have just gone back in the box.) ;):lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All right. Let's just say I'm not very happy right now and leave it at that.

Tim comes in to give us a preview of a new model. I very much appreciate that. He doesn't have to do this, and we get a nice look at the kit before we buy it. Rather than wait until the end, and discuss the kit reasonably, someone has to start a tirade about inaccuracies. While accuracy is an important part of a model, most models have to make some compromises in shape and form because injection molding can't really do the same thing as stamping steel with subsequent assembly. At the end of the day, the measure is whether it looks good when on the table. 

That first tirade sets off a flurry of comments and disagreements. Lots of fun for no one ever. At this point, I have lots of people to be annoyed with. You all know the standards of conduct around here, and "just this once" you decided to ignore them. 

The really annoying thing here is that there's almost no way to know about true shape and proportions because the camera shots are distorted in somewhat unpredictable and non-linear ways. This is especially true if it's a cell phone camera. It takes some difficult to accommodate geometry, the right optics, and careful measurements to derive anything reasonably precise from a photograph. We aren't doing that here. 

I've locked the thread and we'll figure out where to go from here. 

Update: I've unlocked the topic. Behave yourselves. 

• Thanks 5

Well, drama aside (and I REALLY hope this doesn’t scare Tim away from doing posts like this in the future) I love the way the finished kit built up!  I wanted one, and now I want a couple!  

Looking forward to seeing your second build of this kit, Tim!

• Xingu locked this topic