Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oh, those Paasche bottle vent holes .... ZOINKS!!!

What do I do about shaking, mixing and storing paint since Paasche has vent holes on their siphon lids?  I need a paint/air-tight solution for paint mixing, storage and shaking. I don't want mess up more equipment with paint than I have to. The less stuff to clean up after painting sessions, the better. Paint will spill out those vent holes if the jars are turned over or shaken. The paint/thinner mixture won't be preserved without an airtight seal.  I bought the following jars and siphon spout caps but now I need to do something about the vent holes. 

Amazon.com: Paasche Airbrush Assembly 1oz Glass Airbrush Paint Bottle, 1 oz, Clear : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Amazon.com: 30 Pieces Airbrush Bottles Caps Airbrush Jar Caps Pour Covers Siphon Adapter Liquor Spout Covers for Airbrush Bottle Jar Caps, Black : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

I just received my shiny new Paasche H airbrush it and some other airbrushing accessories. I'm now studying the included literature to get to know my new Paasche, its parts and to get to know airbrushing. I want to get to know this precision painting instrument like an airline pilot knows his jetliner before I ruin one more expensive model kit. I also received my second AMT Kenworth W-925 tractor kit to get needed replacement parts from and my Testors grape enamels, Dullcote and Clearcote lacquers. I have a collection of some other Testors enamels already. I still need to go to Lowe's to buy lacquer thinner.

Amazon.com: Paasche Airbrush Kit with Anodized Aluminum Handle : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Amazon.com: Paasche Airbrush Paasche AC-7 Airbrush Cleaning Kit : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

WYNNsky Air Coupler and Plug Kit, Quick Connect Air Fittings, 12 Piece 1/4" Industrial Solid Brass Quick Connect Set - - Amazon.com

Edited by Plumcrazy Preston
  • Sad 1

I never shake my paints, and certainly not in the spray jars. I use a battery operated mixer. You could use the one solid lid supplied with the kit for the shaking if that’s what you want to do. I think the Paasche jars are OK for short term storeage. If you are worried about the air vent drying out your paint, put a piece of tape over it.

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I never shake my paints, and certainly not in the spray jars. I use a battery operated mixer. You could use the one solid lid supplied with the kit for the shaking if that’s what you want to do. I think the Paasche jars are OK for short term storeage. If you are worried about the air vent drying out your paint, put a piece of tape over it.

That nearly $30 set of six Paasche jars did not even include solid lids. The notion of shaking paint in airbrush jars to mix paints is derived from this Andy X video.

I'm trying to keep costs, space and things to clean up to a minimum. I'm looking for efficiency in painting projects.  I thought about a small square of shipping tape to seal vents for storage. I thought there might be special plugs for those on the market. I'm also thinking about putting a ball bearing in a spray jar as an mixing agitator spray-bomb style. It's nice to be able to use just one container to store, mix and spray paint. Less mess, less stuff to soil up. KISS = keep it simple stupid

• Like 1

I have placed small screws and hex nuts inside glass Testors enamel bottles (0.25 oz) as an agitator and they have never harmed the glass. I just stuck a hex nut inside a new empty Paasche bottle with the siphon tube in it. No sign of glass breakage or cracks when the devil is shaken out of it. Not a scratch. The genuine glass jars are rather expensive. The metal "agitator" doesn't appear to obstruct the siphon tube either.  

Edited by Plumcrazy Preston

Some months back I bought a lot of 100 foil lined lids off ebay for $25.00 shipped.  I'll use one until it is crusty and hard to clean, or the foil tears, and then toss it and grab another.  I bought additional jars from Hobbylink and I don't recall them being very expensive.  I keep paint and thinner mixed and sealed in the jars.  BB's work great for agitation.  

• Like 1