Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kits do you collect?

Like most people here, I don't just build, but I collect also.

I probably have more than I can ever build, but just having them feeds something inside of me I can't explain.

Periodically, I have a need to go find a certain unbuilt kit, and just sit down and enjoy going through it,

and being amazed I own it.

Several are "HOLY GRAILS", that I didn't think I would ever own, and yet blessed to somehow have been able to have these rare old kits,

and have some Modelhaus resin kits still waiting for some love.

I would love to see pictures of the model kits, all of you are proud of, and happy to own, built or not.

10 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

I probably have more than I can ever build, but just having them feeds something inside of me I can't explain.

Periodically, I have a need to go find a certain unbuilt kit, and just sit down and enjoy going through it,

and being amazed I own it.

Believe me, I completely get that, my brother. I own several that I will never build, it just makes me happy to have them 100% complete and intact on the shelf. 

As for special areas of collecting, I have a few. 

*Original annual '63-'67 Corvettes, mainly AMT (the MPCs are harder to find, but I do have a couple '66s). Last time I counted I had over two dozen of them, and at least one of each year in both coupe and roadster. Most are restorable glue bombs, only a few are complete unbuilt kits. I think I have all of the original boxes except one of the '63s. 

*Original AMT 1966 annuals of all makes and models. In complete unbuilt kits I have only the Barracuda, Riviera, Falcon, and Mustang HT/convertible, but I have restorable examples (some with original boxes) of the Impala, Corvair, both Corvettes, Skylark, Mustang fastback, Thunderbird convertible,  and Thunderbird HT promo. (Also have some reissues, of course, but they don't count.) 

*AMT '65 and '66 Mustang fastbacks. Haven't managed to score an unbuilt kit yet but I have managed to acquire and restore six or eight builtups and promos, and one bare body. Here's probably the jewel of that subcollection, a nicely builtup '66 I got on eBay last year and just laid a little Snake-Fu on. It's the only one I have the original box for. 

66MustangGTTurq02.jpg.b90a7708f2cacb5e46373a3d2206a4c6.jpg

66MustangGTTurq21.jpg.af391f19014c81f54c83fa904ab56739.jpg

I don't consider myself a collector per se. Everything I buy, I buy with the intention to build. Some just sit in the stash a little longer.

I do however have a penchant for Porsches, particularly the 964 generation of 911.

I also seem to be amassing a large stack of kits and parts for the 88-98 GMC/Chev pickups & SUVs. It's my fav truck design of all time. 

Oddly, i usually go in little collecting trends. Started with Drag Racing kits, then Van kits, then Combo kits, then odd kits, then 70's kits and so on....

So yes, I have a little bit, or a lot, of everything pretty much. And now I am starting to think of what needs to go, and early vintage type rods seems to come up for the chopping block at the moment. 

And yes, tons of resin, mostly Drag. 

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I actually don't consider myself a collector. I intend to build or at least utilize parts from every kit I own. When I buy vintage kits I specifically seek out kits that aren't collector grade because I'm just going to open it and build it if I get a chance. 

I wasn't a collector either, until I had to somehow justify buying more kits :lol:.

1 hour ago, Paul Payne said:

I'm that way about the Renwal Revivals- I have one of each and a couple of duplicates, and I need some boxes and instruction sheets. I would also like to get the flip flop colors. I plan on building them all- some customized, some stock- and continue collecting more.

Oh my gosh. I love their Auto Union.

Personally, I have no interest in “collecting” unless you consider my built projects a collection, which I suppose they technically are.

Everything in my stash is slated to be built, no matter how rare or pristine it may be.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I don't consider myself a collector per se. Everything I buy, I buy with the intention to build. Some just sit in the stash a little longer.

I do however have a penchant for Porsches, particularly the 964 generation of 911.

I also seem to be amassing a large stack of kits and parts for the 88-98 GMC/Chev pickups & SUVs. It's my fav truck design of all time. 

I get that about amassing a stash. 

I don't buy kits anymore - ran out of room 😃

2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Personally, I have no interest in “collecting” unless you consider my built projects a collection, which I suppose they technically are.

Everything in my stash is slated to be built, no matter how rare or pristine it may be.

Steve

@StevenGuthmiller

Yeah. I know how that goes. But one day you'll be an old guy builder like many of us, 

and everything you bought you were going to build....someday 😁.

I consider myself both a collector and a builder , although I have some collector kits that I would have a tough time forcing myself to build. Some over 30 years ago, after buying myself a 1to1 Corvette, I decided it might be fun to build a model of each year which led to the idea of trying to collect at least one of every Corvette kit ever released. The collection now numbers a little over 390, 25th & 24th scale kits but not counting Vette promos and other scales. There are still kits I'd like to find and I've yet to build one for each year but the challenge has been fun.  Have an AMT '76 currently on the bench.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Believe me, I completely get that, my brother. I own several that I will never build, it just makes me happy to have them 100% complete and intact on the shelf. 

As for special areas of collecting, I have a few. 

*Original annual '63-'67 Corvettes, mainly AMT (the MPCs are harder to find, but I do have a couple '66s). Last time I counted I had over two dozen of them, and at least one of each year in both coupe and roadster. Most are restorable glue bombs, only a few are complete unbuilt kits. I think I have all of the original boxes except one of the '63s. 

*Original AMT 1966 annuals of all makes and models. In complete unbuilt kits I have only the Barracuda, Riviera, Falcon, and Mustang HT/convertible, but I have restorable examples (some with original boxes) of the Impala, Corvair, both Corvettes, Skylark, Mustang fastback, Thunderbird convertible,  and Thunderbird HT promo. (Also have some reissues, of course, but they don't count.) 

*AMT '65 and '66 Mustang fastbacks. Haven't managed to score an unbuilt kit yet but I have managed to acquire and restore six or eight builtups and promos, and one bare body. Here's probably the jewel of that subcollection, a nicely builtup '66 I got on eBay last year and just laid a little Snake-Fu on. It's the only one I have the original box for. 

66MustangGTTurq02.jpg.b90a7708f2cacb5e46373a3d2206a4c6.jpg

66MustangGTTurq21.jpg.af391f19014c81f54c83fa904ab56739.jpg

@Snake45We all have a sickness, that I hope they never find a cure for 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, robertw said:

I consider myself both a collector and a builder , although I have some collector kits that I would have a tough time forcing myself to build. Some over 30 years ago, after buying myself a 1to1 Corvette, I decided it might be fun to build a model of each year which led to the idea of trying to collect at least one of every Corvette kit ever released. The collection now numbers a little over 390, 25th & 24th scale kits but not counting Vette promos and other scales. There are still kits I'd like to find and I've yet to build one for each year but the challenge has been fun.  Have an AMT '76 currently on the bench.

I'd build everything I've got....if I had enough time left. But just having them.....ohhhweee!!!

I'm not a collecter per se, but since I'm not able to build just now I'm still building up the stash. I have a lot of us 1/25 cars but the largest part of my stash is 1/24 vw group and I count myself lucky to have at least one of each including a 1/24 mk1 scirocco. There are 18 tamiya bug kits that each have a plan as I have various transkits for them and they are great for parts on the other bug kits. There's also a large number of fujimi mk3 golfs and transkits for building a euro and us jetta. I've also recently found a loat of 3d printed resin vw parts that I'm slowly amassing. I know I'll soon be starting into the alpha models kits as they have some stuff I need/want.