Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kits do you collect?

9 hours ago, keyser said:

Sad face because I missed it at that price. Good hit. 
Pinto kits are the bomb

I keep hearing and seeing good things about them, so I'm  really looking forward to building it.  It'll be my first attempt at a resin car kit, though I have done resin figure kits in the past.

There are a few things I have picked up, over the years that are nostalgic, to me. Everything I buy, is bought with the intent to build. However, some of them, I just enjoy having around. They include a California Street 'Vette, an original Ertl CO 4070A, one each sealed Aurora Racing Scenes engines, several of Matchbox's 1/32 scale kite, and a few others.

A while back I got into the old Monogram Model A series.. the early 1/24 ones.  I have built examples of most of them as well as a bunch of unbuilt skits for future inspiration!

I also have a dune buggy collection. Probably have them all at this point. 

And of course Valiants! Mostly bought cheap way back!  I have them all including the crummy companies. And yes I have a 66 promo. The crown jewel of the collection 

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 9/29/2021 at 8:18 PM, keyser said:

Which Sunbeam Tiger issue is that? Haven’t seen that box art before. 
1st pic, 3rd shelf down, bottom row fourth one over. 😎

Nice stash. 

It is the current/latest reissue.

• Thanks 1

I collect ALL and EVERYTHING! In fact, I collect way too much! I’m addicted to collecting stuff. Mainly books and models. It’s so bad, in my living room there is one place to sit. I haven’t seen my dining room table in twenty years. And don’t even ask me about my basement. It’s bad! My whole house is full of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH (I mean high quality stuff). 

With around 330 kits in my stash and who knows how many bodies and parts that would build new models easily, I could be called a collector.  But I absolutely positively intend to build every one of them, with retirement fast approaching.  I have averaged 12 a year for the last twenty years or so and finished twenty last year and probably 15 this year. But for forty years or more I lived by the adage, "see it, buy it!"  Not because I am rich, but because I am not that rich!  If I don't buy it when I see it I will probably not be able to afford it when I want it. I am still kicking myself for ordering 6 Revell Model A coupes and then deciding to only grab two - that'll learn me!

Still, there are some kits that could be said to be collecting rather than building.  Last year, thanks to Tom Geiger's assistance, i scored a mint unbuilt IMC 39 Mercury.  It is beautiful to look at but probably not so beautiful built up. The first AMT 34 3w and the old Revell '34 Fords on the Buttera T chassis - on the ugly side so I will build them when nothing is left to build. The goal is to have, built and on display, one of every 1/24th, 1/25th and 1/32nd scale  hot rod kit known to man before the black station wagon turns up. it is doable!   

Cheers

Alan

My collection is mostly 1965 thru 1979. I have stacks and stacks of mostly unbuilt resin kits. I am now into collecting some of the 3D printed models (the master being 3D printed...some come as resin copies, others are actually 3D printed). Ebay's Modelerrob has (from time to time) a beautifully done Lincoln Mark V. I don't have enough life left to build the resin kits, much less the plastic models...I didn't buy with the idea of collecting, but that's what I've ended up doing. I'm also a scale bigot... 1/25 only.

Edited by Repstock

Remembered one more thing I collect: Black diecast Chevies in 1/24-1/25. 

Didn't start out to collect them, but one day I realized I had quite a few, and have been picking up new ones when I see them. So far I have: 

'55 150 2DS

'57 210 HT

'57 Corvette

'62 Impala

'63 Corvette coupe

'64 Nova

'65 Chevelle (stock)

'65 Chevelle (pro street)

'65 El Camino

'67 Corvette roadster

'67 Impala 4DHT (Supernatural)

'67 Chevelle

'68 Chevelle

'69 Camaro

Edited by Snake45

Let’s see. It’s funny,I’m all over the place.  I really like to build hot rods. But have stumbled into F1 cars. Bought a f1 collection of 1/20 and 1/12 tamiya kits. Few hot rods, muscle cars, Ferraris, aircraft and armor. And lately model factory hiro and large 1/8 kits. Last count was over 300. I do not see myself as a collector, more of a builder. But with over 300 kits, maybe a collector also. 

On 9/29/2021 at 12:22 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Everything in my stash is slated to be built, no matter how rare or pristine it may be.

Steve

I am the same as Steve, everything I have collected I intend to build. Some will be OOB and others will gets the details and works.

There is probably 2 kits from my childhood that I won’t build, but I did purchase 2 off each at the right price so I will still build a new version of them. 

I started out buying kits to build. In the time period when there were a lot of kits being issued, I found myself buying faster than I could build. Over the years, I have amassed a great number of kits. Included in that number are some kits that are very hard to come by. I have sold off several in the last two years, partly to help finance a move into a new house. I may sell some more, when I get them unpacked from that move. About the only thing I actually collect are the Johan 1968 Imperial Crown promos. I bought a 1:1 Imperial Crown convertible in '98, and soon after found a promo of the hardtop at a model show. I've been grabbing those when the price is right ever since.

Here is a pic of my small collection of some sought after, more valuable cars. A couple of these I’m not in a real hurry to build, but the 62 Dart is a WIP. It’s fitted with a Lindberg chassis, with Fireball Modelworks Mopar steel rims, and a max wedge engine.  I haven’t worked on it in a while but I’ll eventually finish it soon. They are all complete, and molded in white, except the 63 Dodge, which is a light mint green color. It really didn’t matter on the color, but it’s a complete kit, and I am glad that I own it. The Mercury Comet is a green color also. 

FE62DA84-8D46-42C0-B487-C429674D222C.jpeg

• Like 1