Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Duesenberg SJ Dual Cowl Phaeton

ScottGMN

Bugatti Fan...I know that article well.  I've been trying to emulate it for five years. This is as close as I'm going to get. No way I'll be replacing wheel spokes!

Monogram did both a Packard and a Boat Tail Duesy in Metal.

image.jpeg.cb686f503153266af3065461160f2dd8.jpegimage.jpeg.22e1f4b895ac9039e06e6ff396d6dbdf.jpeg

Edited by ScottGMN

6 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Scott, I build mine some time before Bob's article appeared. Reading it reminded me of the things I had missed on my model.

I have attached a few pics of my old Hubley Duesie.

P1050309.JPG

P1050303.JPG

P1050310.JPG

Wow...I'm guessing doing a hinged hood back then was a lot harder.  So many more products and tools have been introduced even since Bob shared his Duesey. Nicely done!

Thanks Scott.

I used a miniature abrasive cutting disc in a tool similar to a Dremel to cut the hood into sections. Hinges are miniature piano hinges from dolls house suppliers.

Replacing wheel spokes is not as hard as it seems. On mine I cut out 3/4 of the spokes on the fronts and backs to keep the rims and hubs concentric. Drilled through where I had removed the spokes and replaced with wire. When the adhesive was set it was a matter of removing the remainder of the kit spokes and drilling for the remaining wires to be fitted.

Duesenberg SJ Wire Wheel Details.jpg

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Thanks Scott.

I used a miniature abrasive cutting disc in a tool similar to a Dremel to cut the hood into sections. Hinges are miniature piano hinges from dolls house suppliers.

Replacing wheel spokes is not as hard as it seems. On mine I cut out 3/4 of the spokes on the fronts and backs to keep the rims and hubs concentric. Drilled through where I had removed the spokes and replaced with wire. When the adhesive was set it was a matter of removing the remainder of the kit spokes and drilling for the remaining wires to be fitted.

Duesenberg SJ Wire Wheel Details.jpg

Wow!  Still looks daunting.  But I downloaded this pic and stored it for future reference. Maybe I'll try it one day and, if successful, replace the wheels on my existing builds. Thanks for sharing. I split my hood with a diamond cutting wheel on a Dremel two years ago. Turns out that was the easy part. Tried the MCG hinges Bob used...major fail. It took me two more years to find a hinge close to scale that would work within my skillset.

Scott, I hope that the picture you downloaded will be useful as a reference.    On the card where it says front wheel and rear wheel it should read front of wheel and rear of wheel.

Replacing spokes is not as daunting as it appears, although it may seem so when you look at a finished wheel. The process is more tedious than daunting but worth the effort.

You may have some old wheels in the spares box that you could experiment on. Worst that can happen is a bit of scrappage.

• Like 1