Model Cars Magazine Forum

Double Dragster Kit build #2

unclescott58

I’m not a big fan of modern drag racing. But, I’ve always had a soft spot for the late 50’s, early 60’s stuff. Especially dragsters like the cars included in AMT’s classic 3-in-1 Double Dragster Kit. A few years back, I built the Streamliner and Fiat Altered Coupe. I wanted to build the Twin Engine Open Rail Dragster too. But not another Fiat. So what to do? Then a few years ago Round 2 reissued AMT’s old Parts Pack Ford Model T Roadster Racing Body. This was designed to fit right on the Fiat Altered Coupe’s chassis. There was my answer. Adding some paint and a few Gopher Racing decals, and I got the results you see below. 

CA5642C9-30B5-442A-BC1E-45C19CA4A0E0.jpeg

F473211A-6BA7-4DEB-A630-12BC5C7A9BDE.jpeg

283ADF76-2582-43ED-A606-D6208CDC0A85.jpeg

A37ADE85-40C8-45DD-8982-190F933E7F27.jpeg

900B689F-A994-4442-A4C3-A3658223F1B4.jpeg

A687AA38-AD92-4DDD-BFD1-D7084FD2E87B.jpeg

04AF2D7A-3C2C-4E65-870B-9FEE9714FDF0.jpeg

• Like 2

Beautiful clean builds of these classic drag cars. Love the paint colors. It’s amazing how many variations can be built from this AMT double kit. So fortunate for us old guys that this and several other kits from our earlier modeling years are still available as re-pops (Revell Tony Nancy double kit, Monogram Sizzler) to give us a “second crack” at them! Thanks for posting!

On 9/29/2021 at 7:05 PM, chris chabre said:

clean and simple...just how a drag car should be haha NICE WORK

15 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice looking old school drap cars.  I like the old stuff myself.  I always liked the Gassers. 

12 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Beautiful clean builds of these classic drag cars. Love the paint colors. It’s amazing how many variations can be built from this AMT double kit. So fortunate for us old guys that this and several other kits from our earlier modeling years are still available as re-pops (Revell Tony Nancy double kit, Monogram Sizzler) to give us a “second crack” at them! Thanks for posting!

11 hours ago, alexis said:

That Green "Double Trouble" is one of the best builds I have seen of that kit.

You Really Nailed the Look, Scott!

10 hours ago, TonyK said:

I like these old drag kits and you did a real nice job on them. Lots of chrome!

2 hours ago, Nitrobarry said:

Period perfect I`d say!

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Nice job ! I like those all a lot.

Thank you guys for your kind comments. 

Really nice clean, crisp builds on all four. Great looking results. 👍👍

Several years ago, when the metal box Round 2 reissue came out, I took advantage of the extra parts trees in that version to squeeze 4 different models out of a single kit. Like you I used the AMT Competition T Bucket body on the Fiat chassis for one of them, for another I used an aftermarket resin body to build a competition coupe using the extra leftover dragster side rails, and the Fiat body landed up on scratch built frame rails with the extra altered suspension bits from the xtra chrome tree in the tin box.  I intended to make a 5th model using the streamliner body but still haven't done it. Although this was 10 years ago now I was surprised to find they are still on the forum:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/29668-early-era-blown-t-bucket-altered/

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/30833-henderson-bros-jacks-fiat-altered/

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/46305-blown-side-by-side-twin-chevy-front-engined-dragster/

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/46947-the-tin-box-32-bantam-competition-coupe/#entry504572

• Like 1

Some really awesome builds.  The Double Dragster kit was my grail kit for many years, so when it was reissued I picked up two of them (tin box and regular box).  They are still languishing in my stock of "to build" kits.  Only issue I have with this kit is the overly large front tires

On 10/1/2021 at 2:28 PM, Scott8950 said:

Beautiful builds.. they look fantastic 👍

On 10/1/2021 at 4:25 PM, Bernard Kron said:

Really nice clean, crisp builds on all four. Great looking results. 👍👍

Several years ago, when the metal box Round 2 reissue came out, I took advantage of the extra parts trees in that version to squeeze 4 different models out of a single kit. Like you I used the AMT Competition T Bucket body on the Fiat chassis for one of them, for another I used an aftermarket resin body to build a competition coupe using the extra leftover dragster side rails, and the Fiat body landed up on scratch built frame rails with the extra altered suspension bits from the xtra chrome tree in the tin box.  I intended to make a 5th model using the streamliner body but still haven't done it. Although this was 10 years ago now I was surprised to find they are still on the forum:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/29668-early-era-blown-t-bucket-altered/

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/30833-henderson-bros-jacks-fiat-altered/

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/46305-blown-side-by-side-twin-chevy-front-engined-dragster/

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/46947-the-tin-box-32-bantam-competition-coupe/#entry504572

On 10/1/2021 at 10:49 PM, bisc63 said:

Wow, these are too cool. I have a soft spot for the old drag kits, and these are just how they should look.

14 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

12 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Some really awesome builds.  The Double Dragster kit was my grail kit for many years, so when it was reissued I picked up two of them (tin box and regular box).  They are still languishing in my stock of "to build" kits.  Only issue I have with this kit is the overly large front tires

Again, thank you for the kind words. 

Great group of Double Dragster builds! I especially like the T Roadster. I did one of those years ago and screwed up because I didn’t move the engine back so there’s a huge gap between it and the firewall. I have a couple more so one of these days I’ll do a redemption build. 

Very cool, I like this a lot! I'm planning to build something VERY similar sometime soon so appreciate the preview of coming attractions. I can see that one change I'll make is to make that roll bar higher, or find a taller one. Well done and model on! B)

On 10/7/2021 at 10:05 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

Great group of Double Dragster builds! I especially like the T Roadster. I did one of those years ago and screwed up because I didn’t move the engine back so there’s a huge gap between it and the firewall. I have a couple more so one of these days I’ll do a redemption build. 

On 10/8/2021 at 6:03 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice group of dragsters!

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool, I like this a lot! I'm planning to build something VERY similar sometime soon so appreciate the preview of coming attractions. I can see that one change I'll make is to make that roll bar higher, or find a taller one. Well done and model on! B)

Thank you gentlemen.

I was looking at the T parts pack body only days before I saw this. Wow- the red one looks fantastic - I definitely need to build that and it is good to know about pushing the engine back in the frame.  All four of your builds look awesome and I especially like the range of colours used.  Still have to build a streamliner to complete my set.

Great work, Scott.

Cheers

Alan

On 10/11/2021 at 6:28 AM, alan barton said:

I was looking at the T parts pack body only days before I saw this. Wow- the red one looks fantastic - I definitely need to build that and it is good to know about pushing the engine back in the frame.  All four of your builds look awesome and I especially like the range of colours used.  Still have to build a streamliner to complete my set.

Great work, Scott.

Cheers

Alan

On 10/11/2021 at 6:33 AM, David G. said:

A beautiful set of classic dragsters! 

The chrome on them looks great.

David G.

Thank you guys.