Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1965 Pontiac Bonneville Sport Coupe

Casey

Looks like the 1/25 AMT 1965 Pontiac Bonneville Sport Coupe kit is getting close(ish) to being available at the retail level, so check out Chris' video review below in the meantime. I noticed the ex-MPC BFG Radial T/A tires with the slightly oversized/chunky tread blocks are back, too. I think this is the first kit in which Round2 has included them?

Instruction sheet from '60s release for comparison: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1259/amt-1965-pontiac-bonneville-hardtop

1888319377_AMT1260_65BonnevilleSportCoupe_PKG_front_720x(1).jpg.d7f6e3f2ab497b1e12acc8c78ac96ae7.jpg

AMT1260_65BonnevilleSportCoupe_PKG_side1_720x.jpg.1d84eac81e0a1ff160b29f465b1dec20.jpg

AMT1260_65BonnevilleSportCoupe_PKG_side2_720x.jpg.8f3066ae25e702a8d9d0735d98d1e3f9.jpg

AMT1260_65BonnevilleSportCoupe_PKG_back_720x.jpg.a86220525812ab49a8de31cda192515f.jpg

Edited by Casey

28 minutes ago, alexis said:

Too Small and they are awful tires. I've thrown away several dozen of those tires  in the last 20 years.

There are two sizes of the MPC BFGs. The smaller of the two are closer to 13" in 1/25 scale, and I think the larger variety is somewhere in between 14" and 15" in 1/25 scale. I am assuming the larger variety will be include with this land barge. 😁

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Can't wait to hear your comments on the hosed shape of the windows on the left side. B)

At least it’s only on one side in a particular spot, not the whole dang roof being about 3 scale inches lower.  However, we certainly don’t want to say anything if a model company makes a major, really noticeable, goof on a new tool.  🤭

52 minutes ago, alexis said:

Yeah, I think they may have been in something else, but I'm not sure what.

But, they are a Horrible Tire option for this kit IMHO.

Too Small and they are awful tires. I've thrown away several dozen of those tires  in the last 20 years.

It’s says right on the box pic that was posted above….”pad printed Firestone ‘whitewall’ tires” included.  If you don’t like the BFG’s, you don’t  have to use them.  

27 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

It’s says right on the box pic that was posted above….”pad printed Firestone ‘whitewall’ tires” included.  If you don’t like the BFG’s, you don’t  have to use them.  

Allan never said nor implied the BFGs were the only tire option in this kit. only that he didn't care for them, and they aren't all that great, which, I think many of us would agree with.

55 minutes ago, Casey said:

Allan never said nor implied the BFGs were the only tire option in this kit. only that he didn't care for them, and they aren't all that great, which, I think many of us would agree with.

So, does that make the whole kit useless, then?  And, why are you speaking for somebody else?  

I don’t care for the BFG’s either.  However, I think most people who buy this kit are going to be using the stock tires, not a late model custom tire.  I’m just grateful they also include the Firestones, in a whitewall no less.  In some years of past kits like this, you couldn't even get that.    

Edited by the other Mike S.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

I don’t care for the BFG’s either.  However, I think most people who buy this kit are going to be using the stock tires, not a late model custom tire.  I’m just grateful they also include the Firestones, in a whitewall no less.  In some years of past kits like this, you couldn't even get that. 

The pad printed tyres are . perhaps , the finest innovation ( invention ? ) to come along in quite some time .  I certainly don't  miss trying to paint the white wall or pinstripe on the tyres ! 

My main complaint about the presence of the Goodrich tyres is that there are other tyres in Round2's roster that would be literally and figuratively more "fitting" . That 80's garbage belongs in kits of that era , IMO , and not in a 60's custom .

1 hour ago, the other Mike S. said:

So, does that make the whole kit useless, then?

Nobody posted any comment saying anything like that. Alan was talking about the BFG tires, period:

3 hours ago, alexis said:

He said nothing about any other parts of the kit, the kit as a whole, etc.. Same with me. I agreed the BFG tires are not realistic, too chunky in the details, etc. I said nothing about the kit as a whole.

5 hours ago, alexis said:

You know what's even worse? Those Rally GTs Ertl used to put in all their street rod kits. They looked more like off road tires.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

You know what's even worse? Those Rally GTs Ertl used to put in all their street rod kits. They looked more like off road tires.

Those hunks of cow dung are in the reissued 1/16 scale T-Bird , 55 Chevy Convertible , etc. 

Monogram kits had those vile junks in their 70's kits , too . While the tread wasn't nearly as bad as the AMT offerings , it's still quite bad . 

11 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Fortunately, Round2 seems to have pitched that mold in the bin, and those'll never be seen again.

I think the ex-MPC BFG T/As could be made somewhat respectable if the tread elements and sidewall lettering were thinned a bit, as the font seems to be correct, just too pronounced.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Fortunately, Round2 seems to have pitched that mold in the bin, and those'll never be seen again.

Only with their 1/25 scale line . The 1/16 scale kits -- the 1950's cars , such as the T-Bird -- still have those Turd Ferguson's for the optional , custom ( Cragar S/ST and S/S ) wheel options .

53 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Is it warped?  Every kit I've had from that series had a warped body with excessive flash on parts...

I built one of those Prestige Series iterations back in summer 1987 , and didn't recognise any warping  ( until the 1987 Whittier Earthquake had its way with the completed kit... ) .

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The pad printed tyres are . perhaps , the finest innovation ( invention ? ) to come along in quite some time .  I certainly don't  miss trying to paint the white wall or pinstripe on the tyres ! 

My main complaint about the presence of the Goodrich tyres is that there are other tyres in Round2's roster that would be literally and figuratively more "fitting" . That 80's garbage belongs in kits of that era , IMO , and not in a 60's custom .

Amen, John. Poor Choice of optional tires in a kit that never needed that particular tire in it.

And, I'll second the motion to hate on those dreadful Rallye GT Tires. Almost as bad as the BFG's. 

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Nobody posted any comment saying anything like that. Alan was talking about the BFG tires, period:

He said nothing about any other parts of the kit, the kit as a whole, etc.. Same with me. I agreed the BFG tires are not realistic, too chunky in the details, etc. I said nothing about the kit as a whole.

Someone in the thread made a reference to how the upper window drip rail on the driver’s-side was not accurate.  Then, people chimed in to complain about the custom BFG’s that are in the kit making one to assume that it’s a POS reissue or something.  

The BFG’s are included to give an alternative tire option for the custom/lowrider crowd.  I agree, it’s a terrible choice.  However, at least we have the Firestone whitewalls, of which, most people will probably use instead.  I think most people who build this kit will probably build it stock or as a period custom with parts box/aftermarket wheels and tires.  I don’t think anyone is going to make a “gasser” out of it.

Edited by the other Mike S.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

I don’t think anyone is going to make a “gasser” out of it.

A vehicle of such generous proportions isn't the best choice for a Gasser . 

I can see a 60's - 70's style Lowrider being made with it : Bellflower Pipes , Lace paint , organ pipe speakers , 4-track player , etc. 

• Like 1