Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping assembled parts

I am stripping some glue bombs, and also some parts that I have partially assembled. I use superclean mostly since it seems to do a pretty good job. What do you folks do when stripping items like an engine, or a chassis that has hollow parts like a gas tank. The stripper will get inside these parts, so how do you ensure that all the stripper is flushed out, so as not to affect the new paint job. Just an extensive soaking in clear fresh water afterwards? Followed by a thorough drying in a dehydrator or ?? TIA.

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

I am stripping some glue bombs, and also some parts that I have partially assembled. I use superclean mostly since it seems to do a pretty good job. What do you folks do when stripping items like an engine, or a chassis that has hollow parts like a gas tank. The stripper will get inside these parts, so how do you ensure that all the stripper is flushed out, so as not to affect the new paint job. Just an extensive soaking in clear fresh water afterwards? Followed by a thorough drying in a dehydrator or ?? TIA.

i dont use super clean dont like it takes to long. i been using Easy Off Oven Cleaner brand name Yellow can for many years. it removes paint ( enamel ) in about a 1/4 of the time an most chrome in a few minuets..i did test superclean as a friend gave me a gallon of it..did not like it.. now to answer your question on how u get the excess out drill u a small hole some where on these parts so the fluid can get out..you may have to shake the heck out of them a few times.. once u have washed and air dried them fill the holes back up with putty sand primer and paint..

Greg just watch out for small parts falling off of the engine when you strip it. I will use a smaller (think take out plastic dish) and not my big bucket when stripping glue bomb parts. This has saved me a few head aches with almost lost parts. I just poor the small dish out in a screened cup to catch the small parts. Yes paint flakes do get caught in the screen, but so do the small parts like the oil filler tube on a 283. 

Thanks Andy. I’ve got that peril covered. Tiny loose parts go in the relish jar and when I figure it’s been long enough, it gets poured through the strainer and back into the jug. Large parts get fished out of the casserole dish when ready and scrubbed with a stiff brush. Liquid gets strained into the jug again just in case. There is a fine screen in the sink also that catches most of the paint and any small parts that might fall off while scrubbing.

0B5CE831-F6B2-47F3-88CD-6414A720C00E.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG