Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aurora Ram Rod '32 Ford

TooOld

I took a break from my on going project to build something quick . . . two weeks is quick for me !  The Ram Rod is one of several 1/32nd scale kits released by Aurora back in 1962 .  At just 4 ½ inches long , it’s low parts count and small size make for a very easy and fun build .  

I built the Ram Rod straight out of the box , adding only an upholstered firewall made from sheet plastic to match the roof insert .  I did vary from a stock build by modifying the multi-piece body so it could be glued together before paint and the interior slipped into the body afterward , then the cowl was reworked slightly to match the sides of the body .  The two piece tires had the seams filled and sanded before spraying with flat black paint , then white walls were cut from self-adhesive vinyl .  When finished the tires were coated with some Pledge Future Shine . 

The Ram Rod was painted with Tamiya TS-50 Mica Blue and then it was topped with TS-13 Clear .  The wheel discs and engine chrome were sprayed with Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Chrome while the grille , windshield frame , and side fin trim was brushed with Molotow chrome .  

To finish it off I was able to use the original 60 year old decals after spraying them with a clear sealer .  Even though they had yellowed quite a bit the decals look great against the dark blue paint . 

This vintage Aurora kit was a blast to build and even when displayed with the box there’s plenty of room for it on my shelf ! 

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

Kewl looking little Hot Rod.  Nicely done.

Thanks Bob !

2 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Pretty neat hot rod.

Thanks !

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Very nicely done! Good job on preserving those decals, they look great.👍

Thanks Greg !  Other than being yellowed they worked great .

1 hour ago, ramblerman said:

Kind of looks like Chilli Catallo/Beach Boys Little Duece Coupe. Beautiful.

Thanks Jim !  Not a coincidence , lots of collectors refer to this kit as the Ram Rod/Silver Sapphire kit .

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

You did a great job .

Thanks Ray !

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Excellent example of a box art build. VERY well done and model on! B)

Thanks much !

13 hours ago, TooOld said:

I took a break from my on going project to build something quick . . . two weeks is quick for me !  The Ram Rod is one of several 1/32nd scale kits released by Aurora back in 1962 .  At just 4 ½ inches long , it’s low parts count and small size make for a very easy and fun build .  

I built the Ram Rod straight out of the box , adding only an upholstered firewall made from sheet plastic to match the roof insert .  I did vary from a stock build by modifying the multi-piece body so it could be glued together before paint and the interior slipped into the body afterward , then the cowl was reworked slightly to match the sides of the body .  The two piece tires had the seams filled and sanded before spraying with flat black paint , then white walls were cut from self-adhesive vinyl .  When finished the tires were coated with some Pledge Future Shine . 

The Ram Rod was painted with Tamiya TS-50 Mica Blue and then it was topped with TS-13 Clear .  The wheel discs and engine chrome were sprayed with Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Chrome while the grille , windshield frame , and side fin trim was brushed with Molotow chrome .  

To finish it off I was able to use the original 60 year old decals after spraying them with a clear sealer .  Even though they had yellowed quite a bit the decals look great against the dark blue paint . 

This vintage Aurora kit was a blast to build and even when displayed with the box there’s plenty of room for it on my shelf ! 

For those that don't know that dollar(like all American paper money) is 6" long.

11 hours ago, misterNNL said:

For those that don't know that dollar(like all American paper money) is 6" long.

For being so small it looks really good along side my 1/25th builds .

10 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Looks like you had a great time putting this together, sure shows well. I hope we get more of these 1/32 hot rods, there cool. 

Thanks !  Probably not the Aurora or Lindberg ones but the Monogram 1/32nd kits are a possibility .

On 10/3/2021 at 5:19 PM, blunc said:

a very nice rendition of "The Little Deuce Coupe"

I have one of these in my stash to do some extra detail on.

Thanks Mike ! You should build yours  , would love to see it !

On 10/5/2021 at 2:55 AM, Dave Armstrong said:

Nice work as usual, Bob! Great!

Thanks Dave !

16 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

I love these ol' 1/32 scale hot rods of the past.

A '32 roadster high boy was the first model car I ever built.

Your box art build is just beautiful. Great work Bob. 👍

Thanks much David !

• 2 months later...

That looks fantastic, Bob!  These are such a great throwback to the early days of model building.  I got serious about finding all the 1/32 scale hot rods about 25 years ago and now have nearly fifty, only missing four that I know of.  I have nearly finished my Ram Rod.  It was built from a glue bomb and I made some minor tweaks around the windscreen area to make it more accurate, mainly because of glue damage anyway.  Just got to find some decent pipes for it and it will be ready for show time!

These things are just good fun in the purest sense of the word and the box art is amongst the best ever!  Thanks for sharing your work with us all.

Cheers

Alan  

22 hours ago, alan barton said:

That looks fantastic, Bob!  These are such a great throwback to the early days of model building.  I got serious about finding all the 1/32 scale hot rods about 25 years ago and now have nearly fifty, only missing four that I know of.  I have nearly finished my Ram Rod.  It was built from a glue bomb and I made some minor tweaks around the windscreen area to make it more accurate, mainly because of glue damage anyway.  Just got to find some decent pipes for it and it will be ready for show time!

These things are just good fun in the purest sense of the word and the box art is amongst the best ever!  Thanks for sharing your work with us all.

Cheers

Alan  

Thanks very much Alan , I agree these 1/32nd kits are great fun !  I started buying them for the box art and just recently tried building a couple of them ,so much fun I definitely plan on building a few more !

18 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I have the old LP here and that was my first thought also. 

Beach Boys - Little Deuce Coupe (CD) - Music Online | Raru

16 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

This was exactly what came to my mind - great little rod!

Also known as the Silver Sapphire . Most collectors refer to this kit as the Ram Rod/Silver Sapphire kit .