Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alrighty then,

After the success (?) of my first tractor build (Autocar A64B), I wanted to add a trailer. I was all set to build the logging trailer, then came across the MPC gravel hauler. Think I picked the correct one for my first attempt. Build oob, except for changing the plastic wood top boards for real wood. Didn't have any problems with this kit (vague instructions, hard to read part numbers on the trees). I placed a piece of styrofoam in the dump body, then added aquarium gravel over it to try to keep the weight down. It's still pretty heavy. I put the jack stands in the upper position; even if they were down, it wouldn't support the weight. When attached to the tractor, there's no problem. Paint is all rattle can, and weathering is a mix of dry brushing/pastel chalks/washes. I'm pretty happy the way it turned out. The paint is still drying on this one.  Next I might try a cabover tractor kit. As usual, all comments/criticism/threats are welcome, and encouraged.

0-2.jpeg

0-1.jpeg

0.jpeg

0-4.jpeg

0-3.jpeg

0-5.jpeg

Looks great! Excellent weathering, very convincing.

Have you thought about gluing the stone to a board that could be fitted into the upper portion of the trailer to simulate the load? That would really cut down on the weight.

We do that kind of thing in model railroading all the time. In fact, it's the only type of load that most open top freight cars carry. There are those operators who do what are called "live loads" complete with functioning coal tipples but they are few and far between.

David G.

43 minutes ago, David G. said:

Looks great! Excellent weathering, very convincing.

Have you thought about gluing the stone to a board that could be fitted into the upper portion of the trailer to simulate the load? That would really cut down on the weight.

We do that kind of thing in model railroading all the time. In fact, it's the only type of load that most open top freight cars carry. There are those operators who do what are called "live loads" complete with functioning coal tipples but they are few and far between.

David G.

Thanks. Very good idea on reducing the weight.

Mark

8 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

Very nice.  I still have to work on my weathering skills.    That is a good kit other than the major flash. 

Thanks. Kit does have a lot of flash. There's always a fine line between "just right", and too much weathering for me.

Mark

On 10/8/2021 at 12:06 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Great looking build! I like the weathering! Looking at that load, you might want to avoid the scales, you might get a weight ticket.😀

Thanks. I actually changed the load from aquarium gravel to gray model railroad ballast. Think it looks more realistic. Probably still shouldn't go through the scales though.

Mark

Nicely done and excellent weathering.  Very road weary appearance.  Both together really tell a story 

A load suggestion for future builds , cat litter..non clumping stuff . Toss a block of foam in the dump bed then add litter ! Cheaper than RR stuff , and looks scale 

On 10/10/2021 at 6:22 PM, gotnitro? said:

Nicely done and excellent weathering.  Very road weary appearance.  Both together really tell a story 

A load suggestion for future builds , cat litter..non clumping stuff . Toss a block of foam in the dump bed then add litter ! Cheaper than RR stuff , and looks scale 

Thanks. I have changed the load to gray RR ballast. There was a foam block under the first load, seams lighter with this material.

Mark

• Like 1