Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Pontiac GTO

Exotics_Builder

While working on the detailed 1969 Camaro Pace Car, there is also a “build-off” for Pontiacs on Facebook that I am participating in.  Originally, I was going to do a stock 65 GTO using the AMT kit.  But the work to do a more detailed chassis AND correct the interior discrepancies would be more than I have time to tackle.  Since I had just completed the 1966 GeeTO exhibition drag car, I decided to do a stock 66.

I’ve gotten the parts out, cleaned, and primed.  General parts got a coat of Tamiya Light Gray Primer.  Interior has gotten Tamiya White Primer (parchment seats to be done).  And the chassis/suspension Gunze Black Surfacer 1500.  I’ve already masked off and shot the frame Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black. 

The body was cleaned and door/trunk lines deeper scribed then primed in Duplicolor Hot Rod primer.  A clean up of the body and then Tamiya Pink primer applied over it.  A little more cleanup and a final primer coat before base coat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

If I may ask, why 4 different primer coats?  Just wonderin' Gerry😃

As most model paints are somewhat translucent, I use a primer that will be most "compatible" with the base coat.  And, in some cases, can eliminate a base coat.  I used the white primer because of the seat color.  The primer will not affect the black carpeting.  The Light Gray primer is my go to for most work as it is very neutral.  I used the hot rod (dark gray) to fill the scribed lines followed up by the pink as a Maroon will be the body color.

It is not necessary to go to this extreme, but I try to minimize the primer/color coats to not bury detail.  The only model paint I have so far found to be Opaque is Gravity Colors (the original from Spain). 

• 3 weeks later...

Made some progress on this build.  Got the interior painted and dash/door cards detailed.  Next is trim out the seats and add seat belts and floor mats.

Chassis painted and detail started.  As the frame is not actually correct for the GTO (which is not fully boxed), I ran the fuel, fuel return and brake lines as close as I could to give the effect.  Next, add the differential and front suspension and finish the detail. I included a reference photo of a real chassis and frame.

I’ve got the basecoat on the body and need to clean up a few spots before clear coating and final trim out.

And the engine is started (not just the halves glued together).  I still have a bottle of Testor’s Pontiac Engine Blue.  I poured a bit into a mixing cup along with Mr. Color Lacquer Leveling Thinner and shot with my Iwata Eclipse HP-CS.  As an experiment, I recently acquired one of the battery compressors that attach to the brush.  I figured it might be useful for small jobs.  The engine was painted using that compressor.  Next is detail out the engine.

66 GTO B (2).JPG

66 GTO B (3).JPG

66 GTO B (4).JPG

66 GTO B (5).JPG

66 GTO B (6).JPG

66 GTO B (7).JPG

66 GTO B (8).JPG

zeinstra 1966 Tempest frame.JPG

• Like 1

Your build is coming along nicely.  Great color and detailing. When I was in college a friend of mine had a '66 GTO with a 389 engine and tri-power. That thing was insanely fast. He would rev the engine, drop the clutch and floor the accelerator. The car would lift off the ground and shoot forward like a rocket. Amazing car.  

30 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Your build is coming along nicely.  Great color and detailing. When I was in college a friend of mine had a '66 GTO with a 389 engine and tri-power. That thing was insanely fast. He would rev the engine, drop the clutch and floor the accelerator. The car would lift off the ground and shoot forward like a rocket. Amazing car.  

Heard that a lot.  What amazes me is the kit does not include a rear anti-sway bar, nor do almost all reference photos of stock chassis/suspension show any.

• 2 weeks later...

Interior mainly complete.  Need to get the firewall prepped with the pedal assembly and do a little clean up on the dash.  I used a Gofer seat belt set.  Nice, but I am not completely liking the ribbon look.  It will be “buried” in the interior, so may be fine.

I created floor mats.  Since a well optioned car, I chose a carpeted version I found on the web.  I then scaled it down.  The image was large enough that I was able to get by with the bitmap.  I cloned the GTO emblem for the rear mats (as they were not included on the image).

I use a variety of techniques to make floor mats, depending on their look, how visible they will be and materials of the 1:1.  In this case, I printed the image at high quality on good paper after a bit of massaging in Corel PhotoPaint.  Then I add rough texture painter’s tape to the back to give more substance.  I then color the back and sides (after trim to fit) in an appropriate color, black in this case.  I glued down using Canopy Glue.

For the dash I used a variety of techniques.  On the instrument cluster, I painted the wood effect using a Testor Wood and then a dark wood color dry brushed to highlight.  The instrument “nacelles” were done by putting a Silver Sharpie down on the each opening to get the trim rim.  I followed that by painting Tamiya Acrylic Flat Black from behind.  The trim around the wood was done using Tamiya Acrylic Chrome Silver on a round toothpick and then cleaned up with a number 11 Exacto before fully dried.  Kit decals were used for the Heater control and radio.  I then used Tamiya Acrylic Chrome Silver to get the knobs.

For the trim over the glove compartment, I have a Model Car Garage 65/66 Pontiac PE Fret that has the trim piece for the dash.  I sanded down the kit trim and painted the PE piece flat black and sanded down to reveal the high spots.  I attached the piece and then glued the kit handle to it.

The steering wheel was painted with Testor Wood and overcoated with Tamiya Clear Yellow.  The console was “washed” with Tamiya Flat Black.

66 GTO B (9).JPG

66 GTO B (10).JPG

66 GTO B (11).JPG

66 GTO B (12).JPG

Edited by Exotics_Builder
  • Like 1