Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Pontiac GTO

Exotics_Builder

• 5 weeks later...

Update 4 – A bit more progress

I sanded out the grill section from the back and then applied the Model Car Garage PE grill set.  Glued the lights in and ran some paint in the “slot” between the grill and the bumper.  It is quite evident on the 1:1 car but the chromed single piece grill and bumper of the kit means you need to do some extra steps (if it matters to you).  Just need to cut it from the sprue and touch up the chrome and grill inserts and this part is ready for assembly.

1223089520_66GTOB(17).JPG.dfc850d13a4e3c13760c14aaadb658df.JPG

Started the engine detailing.  Ran the fuel lines and linkage for the tri-carb setup plus started wiring the distributor.  In this model, I am using the Replica and Miniatures of Maryland distributor that includes vacuum advance.  I added the wires to the distributor caps and got cylinder routing order through the first loom.  I’d say about 50% done on the engine at this point.

2073811305_66GTOB(18).JPG.063367b65ca9a036d7530c886a03737a.JPG

744335717_66GTOB(19).thumb.JPG.cfd777bb98f578e091a6d394597d799f.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Gerry, Very impressive work! I just came across your post now and have thoroughly enjoyed your detailed descriptions and sharp photos. It’s a real feature of the forum overall for sharing and learning. The grill work is a great addition, especially catching the body colour trim.

Cheers Misha

Edited by Misha
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Misha said:

Hi Gerry, Very impressive work! I just came across your post now and have thoroughly enjoyed your detailed descriptions and sharp photos. It’s a real feature of the forum overall for sharing and learning. The grill work is a great addition, especially catching the body colour trim.

Cheers Misha

Thank you.  So, you are on Vancouver Island.  Been awhile since I've been to Nanaimo or Victoria.   But just a couple of hundred miles south of you.

4 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Thank you.  So, you are on Vancouver Island.  Been awhile since I've been to Nanaimo or Victoria.   But just a couple of hundred miles south of you.

Hi Gerry, I might be mistaken, yet I think we might have met at the last Deuce Days in Victoria, along with Phil Dauphinee and our Club, SPAM (Scale Plastic Auto Modellers). Hopefully next summer we will be hosting the model show in conjunction with the 1:1 guys. If you could make it is a super gathering of rods right downtown around the inner harbour.

Update 5 – Enough on the engine

I’m calling it done on the engine detail.  Need to paint the transmission and glue to the chassis.  Looking at the model, I do not think it would be worth adding lines from the power steering pump to the gear box and add any lines from the alternator and starter.   Then again, it is a manual transmission and there is clutch fork or linkages to any pedals.  Anyway, some pix of the engine before placing in the chassis (and yes, there is a non-working dip stick included).

66 GTO B (21).JPG

66 GTO B (22).JPG

66 GTO B (23).JPG

66 GTO B (24).JPG

66 GTO B (25).JPG

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 6:43 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

Getting Closer.

Working on engine detail, painting the engine compartment and wheel wells, polishing out body followed by BMF, laying out emergency brake, final assembly and polish/wax.

66 GTO B (14).JPG

66 GTO B (15).JPG

66 GTO B (16).JPG

66 GTO B (17).JPG

Beautiful paint, nice interior, great looking and detailed chassis!

• 2 weeks later...