Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freeze Plugs

5 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

On this side of the pond, water turns to ice in half the country every winter.

I understand Ron. I live in New England -- the Northeast part of USA where we get those nasty Nor'easters, and all that crappy frigid winter weather.  You know, the area where salt eats cars.  While your explanation makes sense, nowadays I doubt you will see many split blocks in junkyards.  It is the year 2021. Who would run straight water in the cooling system anymore (especially in this area of the country)?  And to put things in perspective, I have never directly dealt with freeze plugs (I just have anecdotal knowledge of them).

Well Juergen asked why they were called freeze plugs and that IS why they are called that (or frost plugs). Whether they actually work for that purpose could well depend on the strength of the antifreeze if any, and how low the temps got. They may well be necessary in the casting process also.

12 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Well Juergen asked why they were called freeze plugs and that IS why they are called that (or frost plugs). Whether they actually work for that purpose could well depend on the strength of the antifreeze if any, and how low the temps got.

In Winnipeg, every thing freezes as hard as rock. Don't BS the folks.

What i know is that every spring there are boat owners advertising boats with split engine cases because to they forgot to winterize. I have the automotive replacement engines that they want but for the money they want to pay, i'd rather scrap them.

And yes, i have seen cast iron blocks with the cylinder cases split open. You cannot defeat nature.

15 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

In Winnipeg, every thing freezes as hard as rock. Don't BS the folks.

9 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I doubt you will see many split blocks in junkyards.

you don't visit many junkyards, if at all. be quiet before i shoot you down

Wow! I didn’t realize freeze plugs were such a sensitive issue for you!😬

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I doubt you will see many split blocks in junkyards.

you don't visit many junkyards, if at all. be quiet before i shoot you down

I guess then that you know better than me what places I visit.  :wacko:

Your last sentence seems to show that you might need a freeze plug rammed into your . . .

LIGHTEN-UP..png

Edited by peteski
  • Haha 1

It never ceases to amaze me some of the postings seen here on this forum dedicated to "modeling".  Lately though they seem to be much more immature and soon become caustic, spoiling it for the majority of members.  I really feel sorry for the moderators who deal with BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH on a daily basis.  

Why should such an unrealistic and artificial standard be set? Purely intellectual and civil conversations don't exist in real life between friends when discussing everything from sports to politics. Attempting to restrict a discussion in the style of the circa 1790s London Debating Society gets stale really fast. Occasionally referring to someone as "a rat-faced swindler", "an imbecile lump of mere organized animal matter" or "sneaking, pimping red haired idiot" should be encouraged to keep the discourse interesting and maintain high entertainment value.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eh…don’t mind me captain. I’m just a tourist here and don’t visit often. Usually only to harvest a nugget or two of info that catches my eye over the years. Probably should have minded my own business. Guess this is what happens when I decide to comment a couple of cocktails in! Just couldn’t help but notice though, what seems to me, a lot more snark on the forum threads I tend to visit than I remember. That’s all I meant. Nothing personal! And oh, I get the idea of “spirited discussion” -yada yada ya. Just maybe a little more tolerance for us neophytes maybe. And yeah, I suppose it’s up to the Mods to decide what’s what. So, maybe it’s just me, being too sensitive when I imbibe while internet surfing seeing bullies and demons to defend against! With that, carry on! Didn’t mean to disturb the natives!

The debate itself is quite mild mannered, its all of the folks that aren't even participating in the actual discussion that really derailed this thread.

My thought on freeze plugs are this.... They are used to clear the passages after casting a block. They also serve a dual purpose because they could give a visual indicator that the water in the engine had frozen. Most folks rarely check their oil, so looking at the freeze plugs would be asking to much. Back in the day, I would guess they used straight water in the cooling system and freezing would have been an issue. Now that most folks use antifreeze, it is no longer a concern. Freeze plugs are also much easier to say than sand removal access port cover.

Rock on Daniel, that is a simple detail that folks can add if it applies to what their model is trying to represent. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Hi guys, it seems that I'm partly responsible of the heated discussion regarding the above matter. But I just haven't heard of so-called freeze plugs and I just wanted to get a little smarter than before asking my question. I thank you all to provide me with some information about these plugs and the probable use of them.

Regarding the discussion I've got the feeling that some of the wording of a couple of the contributors was misunderstood. I think that either the 'threat' from Foghorn Leghorn  or the answer from Peteski wasn't meant seriously. So, in the end in my view nobody should bear any grudge to  anyone else. As I'm not a native speaker of your language I nevertheless hope that I could make myself understandable.

Take care everybody and let's keep up this great forum. Juergen

From Wikipedia.

Not always the "last word" factually, but usually fairly accurate.

Sand cores are used to form the internal cavities when the engine block or cylinder head(s) is cast. These cavities are usually the coolant passages. Holes are designed into the casting to support internal sand forms and to facilitate the removal of the sand after the casting has cooled. These holes have no purpose after the sand has been removed. A core plug is a cap at the end of these passages used to prevent water or coolant leaking from the engine.

The slang term "freeze plug" is derived from many years ago in situations where the water in an engine block could freeze (due to plain water being used in winter rather than anti-freeze coolant). The expansion of the water as it froze would cause the core plug to pop out of the engine, leading to the term "freeze plug".

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

From Wikipedia.

Not always the "last word" factually, but usually fairly accurate.

Well, I posted the link last Friday, early on the first page of this thread, without actually quoting it, but I guess nobody clicked on the link.

50 minutes ago, peteski said:

Well, I posted the link last Friday, early on the first page of this thread, without actually quoting it, but I guess nobody clicked on the link.

Links are a finicky thing on these boards. 
I’ll be the first to admit that I rarely pay much attention to links.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Links are a finicky thing on these boards. 
I’ll be the first to admit that I rarely pay much attention to links.

Steve

The Internet is based on linking, right from its infancy.  HTTP is based on links (hypertext). :blink:

What's so wrong about referencing some material in a link?  I don't get it.  It is not like some virus or spoof.  I'm paranoid, but not *THAT* paranoid.

I guess in the future I'll have to remember not to reference any external websites.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, peteski said:

The Internet is based on linking, right from its infancy.  HTTP is based on links (hypertext). :blink:

What's so wrong about referencing some material in a link?  I don't get it.  It is not like some virus or spoof.  I'm paranoid, but not *THAT* paranoid.

I guess in the future I'll have to remember not to reference any external websites.

There's nothing wrong with links Peter.

Don't take it so personally.

I just don't generally take the time to click on links.

It's not that I'm afraid of them.

It's just something that I rarely do when I'm quickly cruising through a thread.

Others may check out links frequently.

Don't change what you do because of me.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

There's nothing wrong with links Peter.

Don't take it so personally.

I wasn't taking it personally. I guess it is just my style of communicating.
I was just surprised with why someone participating in online forums would not click on a link posted by someone who obviously included the link to present some additional info relevant to their post.  In light of what you mentioned, I'm glad you actually posted that quote from the Wikipedia page. I'm good -- we can move on.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 3:50 PM, Xingu said:

The debate itself is quite mild mannered, its all of the folks that aren't even participating in the actual discussion that really derailed this thread.

My thought on freeze plugs are this.... They are used to clear the passages after casting a block. They also serve a dual purpose because they could give a visual indicator that the water in the engine had frozen. Most folks rarely check their oil, so looking at the freeze plugs would be asking to much. Back in the day, I would guess they used straight water in the cooling system and freezing would have been an issue. Now that most folks use antifreeze, it is no longer a concern. Freeze plugs are also much easier to say than sand removal access port cover.

Rock on Daniel, that is a simple detail that folks can add if it applies to what their model is trying to represent. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, sir! I am always happy to share anything I have learned. That's just how I was "raised" as a modeler. I have never seen any reason to keep a technique a secret.

I also never suspected that posting a simple idea, like this, would generate so much discussion! 😅