Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

That might be the Lotus kit I was thinking of.  Anyway, my bet would be on the AMT kit, which was quite good by 1963 standards and would still be pretty decent today.

All the ones I posted are yet to be built and I still have a couple of the Olsonite Eagles as well.  For some reason, other projects took precedence

9 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Lindberg back in the day had some different lightbars tooled up for their '91ish Crown Vic and remember ten or so years ago, they did the same for their 1/24th scale Chargers.

For anyone who might be trying to find them, those Lindberg lightbars were sold separately as  "Emergency 911 Accessory Kit."  Only 2 were issued. Kit #72716 had a Vector lightbar, kit #72717 had an MX-7000.  Both sets also included the pump shotgun from the Crown Vic kit. 

Emergency 911 Accessory Kit, Lindberg 72717 (200x) (scalemates.com)

Edited by Mike999
goof

1 hour ago, keyser said:

Another I’d wish they’d cut new stock body for it. Plop it on 66 chassis if that’d work. 

They don't even need to do that. Just "un-alter" the rear wheel openings. 

It'll go on the '66 chassis, but takes some work in the firewall and rear wheelhouse areas. The '66 interior even comes darn close to fitting perfectly, although it's not of course anywhere near correct. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, iBorg said:

It's interesting they are releasing the Copperhead. I thought they were re-releasing the Tommy Ivo dragster. Is this an attempt to get another kit out of the molds like the Tom McEwen fantasy wedge dragster?  

I think so. It makes sense, given how similar the cars all all. A few different decal sheets and you've got multiple new releases. Hopefully the Turbosonic version will be reissued, too.

Copperhead instructions here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1212/copperhead-rear-engine-fuel-dragster

Turbosonic instructions here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1437/amt-172-turbosonic-dragster

Great box art:

f3a339c03b5bc19a25fc2026d73b42a6.jpg.d60f3b553a86de186362ad13262503d8.jpg

22 hours ago, iBorg said:

I guess Round 2 is trying to get a last run out of the Chevy II AWB before the Moebius gets released.

The AMT kit is the hardtop bodystyle, too, so while not a modern era kit, it does have quite a bit of nostalgia going for it, as Dave V mentioned above. This box art would be most welcome:

006-ELAPSED-TIMES-MODEL-BOXES-PART-2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think so. It makes sense, given how similar the cars all all. A few different decal sheets and you've got multiple new releases. Hopefully the Turbosonic version will be reissued, too.

Copperhead instructions here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1212/copperhead-rear-engine-fuel-dragster

Turbosonic instructions here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1437/amt-172-turbosonic-dragster

Great box art:

f3a339c03b5bc19a25fc2026d73b42a6.jpg.d60f3b553a86de186362ad13262503d8.jpg

The AMT kit is the hardtop bodystyle, too, so while not a modern era kit, it does have quite a bit of nostalgia going for it, as Dave V mentioned above. This box art would be most welcome:

006-ELAPSED-TIMES-MODEL-BOXES-PART-2.jpg

One last chance to "raise the roof" with this kit .

12 hours ago, Hawk312 said:

All I will say is I would still love to build an `80-81 Z28, or any Camaro or Z/28 from between 1973 and 1981. A `74-`76 Firebird T/A would be nice. An updated IROC-Z with the decal treatment the `77 and `79 Firebirds would be nice as well. 

Yes also to this list !

Interesting that they’re bringing the ‘94-‘98 Mustang snap kit back out instead of the glue kit. That, given with the subject matter, I don’t think it’ll be a real winner. Anyone old enough to have developed any feelings for the ‘94-‘98 Mustang will likely just get the glue kit from ebay, due to the fact that the glue kit is miles ahead in detail and even sealed original issues can be found cheap. Younger kids (who snap kits are primarily marketed towards) will most likely be turned off to the subject matter, given that the car is far from contemporary, but not old enough to be considered a classic.

3 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Well, I did ask for Round 2 to consider reissuing some of the classic Indy kits. Wouldn't have been my first choice BUT it is one that's been out of production for quite a long time and that I'll be very happy to add to my growing display of Lotus open wheel machines. 

The 70's McLaren and Penske PC-9 might be better.......we'll see. 

I'll buy the snap 94 Mustang to build a model of my car I bought new. 

3 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

The 70's McLaren and Penske PC-9 might be better.......we'll see. 

I'll buy the snap 94 Mustang to build a model of my car I bought new. 

Kind of along the lines I was thinking too. There are a lot more livery options with the Mclaren or the 70's Eagle and livery options move race car kits. 

13 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Kind of along the lines I was thinking too. There are a lot more livery options with the Mclaren or the 70's Eagle and livery options move race car kits. 

Indycals would get some more of my $$$$ if those came back out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Interesting that they’re bringing the ‘94-‘98 Mustang snap kit back out instead of the glue kit. That, given with the subject matter, I don’t think it’ll be a real winner.

I would say just the opposite. A sports car with an instantly recognizable name, no glue nor paint required, the Hot Wheels brand attached...sounds like exactly what a first time builder would buy. I think buyers/builders with limited experience are less discerning than seasoned builders, and less choosy regarding subject matter.

• Like 1