Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

On 10/2/2021 at 7:57 PM, alexis said:

Going to be interesting to see exactly what parts are in the PP032/24 Emergency Flasher Pack, and there is Slusher's  Monte Carlo Super Stocker.

Does it share the same 'Up and Over' exhaust with the recent GTO Stocker?

I dont remember it being like the GTO exhaust but if so I. Won’t build it that way. Only model on the list that interests me. Thanks for remembering Alan..

On 10/3/2021 at 6:35 AM, Rob Hall said:

This was the last release of that kit, I built it in the 80s as a teenager..typical atrocious 80s MPC box art...

vintage-mpc-custom-corvette-mako_1_e1f9591c10b4070220afa3aa9f9f29f2.jpg

Getting any version of the MPC '65 Mako Shark II would be good for me but calling this a "1968 Chevy Corvette Custom" would be totally WRONG! (Or should I say 'ignorant'.)

ed175af8a4344ab8cc6406b53da5f4ea.jpg

Bill-Mitchell-Mako-Shark-II.jpg

Edited by blizzy63

On 10/3/2021 at 8:00 PM, Casey said:

I think so. It makes sense, given how similar the cars all all. A few different decal sheets and you've got multiple new releases. Hopefully the Turbosonic version will be reissued, too.

Copperhead instructions here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1212/copperhead-rear-engine-fuel-dragster

Turbosonic instructions here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1437/amt-172-turbosonic-dragster

Great box art:

f3a339c03b5bc19a25fc2026d73b42a6.jpg.d60f3b553a86de186362ad13262503d8.jpg

The AMT kit is the hardtop bodystyle, too, so while not a modern era kit, it does have quite a bit of nostalgia going for it, as Dave V mentioned above. This box art would be most welcome:

006-ELAPSED-TIMES-MODEL-BOXES-PART-2.jpg

Casey, I've got a couple of the "Turbosonics" on the shelf. Both are complete except for the front tires in one, and the decals for both kits have seen better days. They're not to cool anyway. Do you think the turbo engine is still hanging around that the kit could be re-issued? Also do you have any thoughts if the AMT Studebaker rear engined funny car might ever come back? I always liked it, and have the parts to kit-bash one except for the body mounts. Thanks for all your insight into the hobby and contributions on here.
Regards,
Jimmy

Edited by Jimmy Wilson
typo

9 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

Getting any version of the MPC '65 Mako Shark II would be good for me but calling this a "1968 Chevy Corvette Custom" would be totally WRONG! (Or should I say 'ignorant'.)

1. Might be trademark/licensing problems with calling it Mako Shark now. 

2. As modified (as far as we know, the molds haven't been changed back), it's not really the Mako Shark anymore. 

3. Motion Performance actually produced conversion kits that would turn any '68-'72 Corvette into a Mako Shark-ish clone. Several were actually built. So "Custom '68 Corvette" really wouldn't be inaccurate. B):lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

Do you think the turbo engine is still hanging around that the kit could be re-issued?

I really can't say, but if the insert for the turbine engine is around, it seems likely it would be reissued eventually. Easy way for Round2 to have a new release.

I would suggest you contact Round2 and ask: E-mail: info@round2corp.com

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 7:40 PM, Michael jones said:

The Dan Gurney Lotus Racer will be interesting. If anyone knows which kit this is, please share. thanks

If I remember correctly it is the one that was sold also in a dual car kit that also had the Parnelli Jones 1963 upright roadster Indy Winner. It also comes with the option (I hope anyway) to build it with the pushrod engine that Dan Gurney drove in the first run at Indy, and the other version is the DOHC Ford engine with the "snakepit" 180° headers.. There was another version released by IMC, but it was more like a slot car body than a detailed model, BUT I thought that MPC was the original release.

Edited by horsepower

On 10/4/2021 at 6:47 AM, Justin Porter said:

Well, I did ask for Round 2 to consider reissuing some of the classic Indy kits. Wouldn't have been my first choice BUT it is one that's been out of production for quite a long time and that I'll be very happy to add to my growing display of Lotus open wheel machines. 

I would be extremely excited if they released either the Indy Winners multi kit or even better give us a re-release of the Kurtis Roadster Parnelli Jones car again.

10 hours ago, horsepower said:

I would be extremely excited if they released either the Indy Winners multi kit or even better give us a re-release of the Kurtis Roadster Parnelli Jones car again.

J.C. Agajanian's "Willard Battery Special" (the car Parnelli Jones drove to the Indy win in '63) was a Watson roadster.  Watson and other builders cribbed Frank Kurtis' design heavily in that period.  But there were differences, like the other builders using fiberglass nose and tail sections where Kurtis' cars always, or nearly so, used aluminum for all body panels.  

On 10/10/2021 at 5:24 AM, horsepower said:

A reissue of the AMT Watson Roadster would be very welcome even if acquiring one immediately means I have to turn to the aftermarket to backdate it from "Old Calhoun" into a Watson I actually like. lol