Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

But how are the 8 lightbars tooled up in 2006 considered "Classic"?  I could go off on a separate tangent about what mediocre representations of the 1:1s they are, but that's a warehouse fire for another day.

No I would presume you're getting the Twin Rotator "Mars" Style bar from the Impala Fire Chief/70 Galaxie, the twin single beacons from the Chevy Van Police/Fire kit, and the retool Twinsonic that they just did for the CHP version of the Monaco.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 1967RMP said:

If it's the same garbage lightbar as in the Galaxie kit, hard pass. The Visibar from the MPC Smokey The Convoy Chaser though, I'd definitely pick up a few.

The light bars can't be from either, as they aren't a stand-alone group of parts which could be molded separately.

10 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

But how are the 8 lightbars tooled up in 2006 considered "Classic"?  I could go off on a separate tangent about what mediocre representations of the 1:1s they are, but that's a warehouse fire for another day.

No I would presume you're getting the Twin Rotator "Mars" Style bar from the Impala Fire Chief/70 Galaxie, the twin single beacons from the Chevy Van Police/Fire kit, and the retool Twinsonic that they just did for the CHP version of the Monaco.

Plus 1/24th scale, so not compatible with 99.99% of their productline/back-catalog.

3 hours ago, JS23U said:

Maybe the Custom Corvette is the "Eckler Corvette"? Although in my eyes there isn't much of a 68 on it. But that's what left of the AMT Corvette annuals from 1969 to 77.

Yea, I agree, as that one was by AMT. There was also another variation of the "Eckler" as "Farrah's Foxy Vette" (Farrah Fawcett's custom Corvette, by Georges Barris), the only difference between those was on Farah's, the back-end had Monza taillights. Plus the decals.

3 hours ago, Faust said:

where are the MPC Chevettes??

They've ne'er been reissued ; haven't seen them since the c.1979 annual Bear Trap kit ( which , by the way , you built a lovely copy of ) . 

IMO , it wouldn't have to be backdated to the round headlamp era - but should have the accessories and figures included . 

On 10/11/2021 at 5:53 AM, PintoKING said:

So if it is NOT the Mako Shark, it could be the MPC "Cosma-Ray" (maybe not; that one was based on a '64 Corvette) or the MPC "Vette Van"?

On 10/11/2021 at 6:18 AM, Jack L said:

maybe the MPC Astro Vette ?

Here's one no one guessed yet. What if it's this? Even though Lindberg called it a '70 m/y, it is a custom.

products-152.jpg.9036cd9f1cae4c7c846ec990270b43af.jpg

Also found on Stevens International. 

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1262 1/25 1971 Ford Mustang Mach I $40.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1283 1/25 1962 Chevy Bel Air Don Nicholson Super Stock Race Car $36.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1265 1/25 Foxy Box 1975 Chevy Custom Van $37.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1284 1/25 Coke 1971 Volkswagen Beetle Superbug (Unity Graphics) $40.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1289 1/25 Sunoco 1934 Ford Service Station Pickup Truck $38.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1326 1/25 Ford C600 US Mail Truck w/USPS Trailer $70.95 TBA

I wonder if #1262 is going to at least have the correct Mach 1 hockey stick stripes?

11 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Also found on Stevens International. 

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1262 1/25 1971 Ford Mustang Mach I $40.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1283 1/25 1962 Chevy Bel Air Don Nicholson Super Stock Race Car $36.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1265 1/25 Foxy Box 1975 Chevy Custom Van $37.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1284 1/25 Coke 1971 Volkswagen Beetle Superbug (Unity Graphics) $40.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1289 1/25 Sunoco 1934 Ford Service Station Pickup Truck $38.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1326 1/25 Ford C600 US Mail Truck w/USPS Trailer $70.95 TBA

I wonder if #1262 is going to at least have the correct Mach 1 hockey stick stripes?

1971 Volkswagen Beetle SUPERBUG???   As in the ex-Polar Lights VW snaper?

Maybe that is the ALL NEW kit of the TV/movie car; Herbie the Love Bug?

1 hour ago, PintoKING said:

1971 Volkswagen Beetle SUPERBUG???   As in the ex-Polar Lights VW snaper?

Maybe that is the ALL NEW kit of the TV/movie car; Herbie the Love Bug?

Nope. It’s a short wheelbase bug, shares chassis with Meyers Manx and TeeVee buggy. Fun kit
F5EBC3EC-B116-4FDC-BC33-4F48906D7CDE.jpeg.cbca108a1eb41489902b592025bc1629.jpeg

https://www.eerokumanto.com/miscellanous/scale-models/cars/superbug-gasser

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Here's one no one guessed yet. What if it's this? Even though Lindberg called it a '70 m/y, it is a custom.

products-152.jpg.9036cd9f1cae4c7c846ec990270b43af.jpg

Wasn't that a kit by PALMER, under the PSM brand? So if LINDBERG issued that kit, does it mean that they also had the other PALMER kits? Now in Round2 hands? Or maybe they were sold to ATLANTIS?

2 hours ago, PintoKING said:

Wasn't that a kit by PALMER, under the PSM brand? So if LINDBERG issued that kit, does it mean that they also had the other PALMER kits? Now in Round2 hands? Or maybe they were sold to ATLANTIS?

Round 2 has the Lindberg/ex Palmer Corvette, Challenger, Mustang hybrid and 40 Ford with the one piece bodies. Lindberg issued them before they were sold to Round2.

I don't know if they have the others with the multi-piece bodies - Don't really care, anyways. 

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Round 2 has the Lindberg/ex Palmer Corvette, Challenger, Mustang hybrid and 40 Ford with the one piece bodies.

From what I've read ( on this forum , primarily ) , that 1972 Challenger was a direct-bite of the MPC 1972 annual , with some , ah , "artistic licence" with the wheels and that crummy looking Shaker bonnet .

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

From what I've read ( on this forum , primarily ) , that 1972 Challenger was a direct-bite of the MPC 1972 annual , with some , ah , "artistic licence" with the wheels and that crummy looking Shaker bonnet .

Shame on you, that's an insult to MPC!

Actually, I can see quite a few variations between the two kits. Look at the firewall and rear tail panel areas, the details are different. 

If Palmer cribbed MPCs kit, they didn't do a great job at it. Maybe they just used it for "inspiration".