Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

2 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Ah, now I see. And it does, thank you for putting them side by side like that. I was hoping the kit’s front end was just a single interchangeable piece. You were correct, the whole front fascia is different. Thanks for going out of your way to teach me about this, I was originally thinking ‘76 was a carryover year. 

You know, it wouldn't be hard for someone to cut the front facia off a '75 and resin cast it, the grille and headlights. The cut lines are even right on the body.

Super easy swap. 😉

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Going to rebuild these?

The '75, yes. I did the '76 back in the early '90s before the kit had been reissued the first time as what I had wanted my 1/1 to look like so it's as it is. I've built another one since and will maybe do another somewhere down the road.

118 1900

5 hours ago, VW93 said:

40 Ford coupe, I hope they fix the poorr hood trim this go around.

Would like to see them retool the original headers and wheel covers but Round2 probably blew their development budget on the "NEW" Coca-Cola decals.

The hood trim was never all that great, owing to the limitations of the tool design.  If the trim was more pronounced, it would never come out of the tool. It doesn't have sliding sides like the body. A little .020 Evergreen strip fixes that problem pretty nicely.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2021 at 3:47 PM, HomerS said:

I'm in for the repop of the Dodge D-50

FE13309C-6F77-4587-BF45-750E7EC6590E.jpeg.c10081294fe4318bb528d64dd7559cfb.jpeg

Like a lot of the MPC annuals of this era, this is a nicely detailed kit that builds well.  The chassis seems to fit nicely under a 40 Ford sedan delivery, may make a decent street rod option.

There are a ton of these in circulation at shows super cheap. The one in the photo I bought for $5.

Still, it will sell to hobby shop shoppers and Coke collectors.

Edited by Tom Geiger

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

There are a ton of these in circulation at shows super cheap.

Sure, but with a new kit you’re getting bagged and unscratched glass, unblemished chrome trees, they’ll clean the molds, throw in some useful decals (like instrument panel), and they’ll probably throw in some pad printed tires too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Sure, but with a new kit you’re getting bagged and unscratched glass, unblemished chrome trees, they’ll clean the molds, throw in some useful decals (like instrument panel), and they’ll probably throw in some pad printed tires too. 

Knowing Round2, gauge decals are iffy.

20 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Just found this on Model Roundup. Due this month. Haven't heard anything about it before.

20211113_232915.png.fc05180309ee2bcb9343af463a286cc9.png

There is also the "Foxy Box" Chevy van, which I posted on Truck kit news and reviews. 

Oh cool!  I’ll be picking up one of those lil’ dune buggies - thanks for the heads up!

On 10/24/2021 at 6:03 PM, GMP440 said:

To get back on topic.  How cost effective is for Round 2 take a kit, from their archives in which the tooling is not there and use 3D printing to do new tooling?  Subjects such as the 68 or 69 Bonneville, 71 Dodge Demon, 68 or 69 C-10 truck where the tooling is no longer there could be done this way.

The major problem with this, at least right now, is I don't believe any of the metal-printing 3-D printers are capable of making anything big enough to do that, at least yet. I suspect that'll change at some point sooner than later.

Charlie Larkin

On 10/26/2021 at 10:37 AM, SfanGoch said:

High-volume injection mold tooling can be produced using DMLS (Direct Metal Laser Sintering).

I'm not familiar with this. I'll have to do a little investigation. It sounds very interesting.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:09 PM, Rbray47 said:

I doubt a lot of Hobby Lobby customers have even heard of a Dodge Demon. It's a business and they have to produce what (hopefully) the bean counters assume will sell. 

That, and given the bent of the Greens, who own Hobby Lobby, I'm not sure they'd be so keen on selling a kit of a Dodge Demon. Remember, it was changed to Dart Sport at the behest of several church groups and at least a couple of full denominations.

Charlie Larkin

On 11/12/2021 at 6:37 PM, Tom Geiger said:

FE13309C-6F77-4587-BF45-750E7EC6590E.jpeg.c10081294fe4318bb528d64dd7559cfb.jpeg

Like a lot of the MPC annuals of this era, this is a nicely detailed kit that builds well.  The chassis seems to fit nicely under a 40 Ford sedan delivery, may make a decent street rod option.

There are a ton of these in circulation at shows super cheap. The one in the photo I bought for $5.

Still, it will sell to hobby shop shoppers and Coke collectors.

That's a good looking truck, Tom. It's a shame the issue I did the box art for in 1991 didn't come with stock wheels.

On 11/18/2021 at 10:38 PM, charlie8575 said:

That, and given the bent of the Greens, who own Hobby Lobby, I'm not sure they'd be so keen on selling a kit of a Dodge Demon. Remember, it was changed to Dart Sport at the behest of several church groups and at least a couple of full denominations.

Charlie Larkin

They do not carry every release anyway. Many kits never hit their shelves.