AMT 1297 -- 1/25 1955 Chevrolet Nomad

AMT 1359 -- 1/25 1949 Ford - The 49er Coupe

AMT PP33 -- 1/25 (KH Wire Wheels and Tires

I think this was announced previously?:

pll994.jpg

I sure wish that the Black Beauty would have been 1/25 scale 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CabDriver said:

I'm gonna go ahead and predict we don't see those Boyd parts back again, although I don't think it looked as bad as some of the other Boyd kits that AMT put out

Better than this thing, anyway...

IIRC, the wheels looked good in pics on some of those kits, but the tires were more like motorcycle or bicycle width tires...

Edited by Rob Hall

Those wheels took up space on the parts trees that would be needed for the more normal wheels that were in all of the other issues.  When those Boyd kits were issued, they included only those wheels...several knowledgeable people stated that the deal for those kits specified that no optional/other wheels or tires were to be included.  Some of those kits also included non-stock suspension parts.  I picked up the '57 Chevy out of curiosity...the rear axle was changed to some sort of goofy articulated setup that never appeared in the real world.

Yep - and in the case of the Boyd '57 Chevy kit (not sure about the '55) it had a rear axle where shafts on the housing angled upwards and had molded-in CV boots to get the ride height lower - it was like a cross between a conventional axle and independent suspension.  They did some weird things to get those huge wheels under these kits... 😁

EDIT: Haha, Mark and I both posted about those weird axles at the same time.  Great minds...

Edited by CabDriver

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

several knowledgeable people stated that the deal for those kits specified that no optional/other wheels or tires were to be included.

That's interesting - I didn't know that.  I assume Boyd didn't want any non-Boyd wheels included in the kits.  Figures, I think the largest chunk of his business was from wheel sales...

And IIRC,

6 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

That's interesting - I didn't know that.  I assume Boyd didn't want any non-Boyd wheels included in the kits.  Figures, I think the largest chunk of his business was from wheel sales...

Also, I think some of these kits were subsequently released in stock-only form with none of the old custom 2n1 parts included. 

• Like 1

Don’t forget 40 Ford SeDel “woody?” With heinous 39 Chevy headlights. Great parts kits only. Narrow rubber band tires dumb. 

Mark, I didn’t know about 55 Nomad pickup roof. Got pic anywhere? You teach me stuff still 👍🏼

Don't forget the leaf springs on the IRS of that sweet 57 Chevy. I snort laughed when I saw that. 

13 minutes ago, keyser said:

Don’t forget 40 Ford SeDel “woody?” With heinous 39 Chevy headlights. Great parts kits only. Narrow rubber band tires dumb. 

Yeah, the woody that isn't a woody (unless the wood is under the metal, I guess).  And the headlights on TOP of the fenders?! 

That red plastic they used for those sucked too - it was the most rubbery hard-to-sand stuff I ever worked with.  It was like trying to sand a pencil eraser.  Glad that one came back in a more 'conventional' form later on

1 hour ago, keyser said:

Mark, I didn’t know about 55 Nomad pickup roof. Got pic anywhere? You teach me stuff still 👍🏼

The original pickup roof is the entire roof except the A pillars and vent frames.  You were supposed to cut off the whole Nomad roof leaving those areas in place.  The original piece didn't match up well with the windshield.  I've got one of the original pieces, but it's warped.

I don't know why they (re)designed it the way they did...I'd have just cut the roof off at the tail end of the B-pillars, and fashioned a surround for a new rear glass that would have plugged into the space.  I've seen a couple of Nomad/Safari wagons turned pickups; I recall one had an early Comet sedan rear window, the other may have had a Thunderbird glass back there.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

The original pickup roof is the entire roof except the A pillars and vent frames.  You were supposed to cut off the whole Nomad roof leaving those areas in place.  The original piece didn't match up well with the windshield.  I've got one of the original pieces, but it's warped.

Nice. What? Kid in 1966 ish had fine tooth saw to preserve header bar and vents? Sweet! Agree simplest way would be like F100 add on sail panel hoop. Window frame and extend roof a bit. Retool looks humpbacked. 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:50 AM, Casey said:

I think it was the second issue, T-399, from '74 or '75, which included the wheel pants, not the original T-174, which was, ehem, pantsless. 😁

AMT1972SellSheet4-vi.jpg

T-399, molded in blue, with wheel pants:

AMTTTIvowPants.jpg.1d735d3bddce3cb054c6b149d7070d41.jpg

AMTTTIvowPants3.jpg.e0d1ba5b2d567c982dd6de450a3ae109.jpg

AMTTTIvowPants2.jpg.590f9de6c6dbf3f9db79d89d995a52a9.jpg

The 1:1 Streamliner was actually the previous car with some updates.  Ivo mentions in his book that AMT wanted to get another hit off of the dragster tooling, and offered him enough to convince him to paint the "new" car blue instead of his preferred red, so they could mold the kit in blue.  Up until this picture appeared, I was puzzled by that info as my Streamliner kit is molded in white.

• Like 1