Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

21 minutes ago, keyser said:

Sure they may be going away soon, but they are still selling really well right now and so would make a good model kit to sell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

A 1/25 first gen Mustang fastback is long overdue. Hopefully the chassis and engine are updated, too, but guess we'll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Since Jamie only mentioned a new body and wheels that makes me think the innards are the 65/66 Hardtop parts.  Wouldn't they have shared the same guts originally prior to the Fastback getting modded off into the 1967 & 1968 kits?

Well, they only really destroyed the body and hood to make the Funny Mustang, so I think the innards would have survived pretty much intact, like the Olds parts of the recently re issued Cutlass. So I highly doubt they made new innards or are using the notchback parts. 

Gives you hope for the '65 Chevelle

Edited by Daddyfink

Y'all can thank ME for the new Mustang and Charger kits. ;)

I just bought a diecast '16 Charger looking to make a nice shelf model out of it. 

And over the last few years, I have spent a BUTT-TON of money on eBay buying glue bomb '65 and '66 Mustang fastbacks and promos to restore/rebuild. I think at last count I'd restored something like eight of them now, and have one more nice body left.  

I'm looking forward to the Lindberg '66 Chevelle in the Retro packaging, too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Don't be shy, tell us what other modern new cars should be done as model kits.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

A 1/25 first gen Mustang fastback is long overdue. Hopefully the chassis and engine are updated, too, but guess we'll have to wait and see.

No need to wait, anything not required specifically to make it a Fastback GT will be carried over from the current Coupe kit. It's not an all-new tool. There will be a few improvements like clear headlamps and a separate gas cap and we're getting the Styled Steel GT wheels added in.  The overall design of the original annual Fastback kit is very similar but not quite identical to the current Coupe kit with exception to the optional custom and racing parts. 

-Steve

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SteveG said:

No need to wait, anything not required specifically to make it a Fastback GT will be carried over from the current Coupe kit. It's not an all-new tool. There will be a few improvements like clear headlamps and a separate gas cap and we're getting the Styled Steel GT wheels added in.  The overall design of the original annual Fastback kit is very similar but not quite identical to the current Coupe kit with exception to the optional custom and racing parts. 

-Steve

Thanks. I wasn't sure from Jamie's comments what was found/known to remain from the last of the original '65/'66 fastback, if anything unique.

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Thanks. I wasn't sure from Jamie's comments what was found/known to remain from the last of the original '65/'66 fastback, if anything unique.

As best as I can figure, the Annual Fastback kit was scavenged over pretty hard to make the AFX kit, about the only part to survive intact was the glass which will make back into this version.   Luckily the current Coupe kit underpinnings are close enough to make it all work with minimal revisions.   In my opinion getting the Fastback restored was long overdue so now we have it.

-Steve 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Clear headlamps, YES!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Y'all can thank ME for the new Mustang [kit][...]

And over the last few years, I have spent a BUTT-TON of money on eBay buying glue bomb '65 and '66 Mustang fastbacks and promos to restore/rebuild. I think at last count I'd restored something like eight of them now, and have one more nice body left.  

Spend a grande-del-culo on MPC 1978 C-10 annuals, would'ya? Haha! Between you and me, Round2 is bound to reissue that one-year-only 2WD version! 

4 hours ago, 1967RMP said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a police version, myself.

Ive been thinking about if the police wheels from the Lindberg Charger kit will fit , they are not the same style as the current steelies that are used sadly.

Edited by martinfan5

4 hours ago, SteveG said:

As best as I can figure, the Annual Fastback kit was scavenged over pretty hard to make the AFX kit, about the only part to survive intact was the glass which will make back into this version.   Luckily the current Coupe kit underpinnings are close enough to make it all work with minimal revisions.   In my opinion getting the Fastback restored was long overdue so now we have it.

-Steve 

I hope they get the reverse lights and exhaust trumpets right on this version. The original had some "things" that were neither fish nor fowl. And I hope they decide on something other than white letter Polyglas GTs for the final iteration. I am kind of a Early Mustang Geek, and I have my "cringe list", like Rex and his '71-'73 hood louvers.

Didn't see this one coming and I am glad they are doing it. Didn't see the Charger coming either, and I am glad it isn't based on the Lindberg kit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveG said:

Don't be shy, tell us what other modern new cars should be done as model kits.  

There are threads full of suggestions. C8, any current pickup, caddy blackwhatever, Mach E, gt500/350 though new Mustang soon. New Hummer, Endless ideas. RG hasn’t seemed to pursue Mustang, C8/C8R, Raptors. You know better than I sir. :) 
Happy about 2+2. 
66 ht has pony interior and console, original 2+2 had standard interior. Curious what ends up available. 

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I hope they get the reverse lights and exhaust trumpets right on this version. The original had some "things" that were neither fish nor fowl. And I hope they decide on something other than white letter Polyglas GTs for the final iteration. I am kind of a Early Mustang Geek, and I have my "cringe list", like Rex and his '71-'73 hood louvers.

Didn't see this one coming and I am glad they are doing it. Didn't see the Charger coming either, and I am glad it isn't based on the Lindberg kit.

Thanks for the shout out on the 71-73 Mustangs. 😁  Now add the single exhaust on the 65 or 66 AMT promo/kits to my pet peeve list too.  I would not complain if it has the 68 Shelby chassis but the one piece chassis with molded in exhaust chassis is just awful.  Here’ some screen grabs of the retooled kit from the video.

86915B7C-6C0C-4527-B804-3DFFE286D86A.png

5379568F-29C6-4725-8D04-C6E9960A9654.png

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 2

The original AMT '66 Mustang FB was a GT, with the fog lights in the grille, GT emblems on the front fenders (instead of Mustang), and GT gas cap molded into the body. It included a Shelby-ish custom grille, although the horsie was running the wrong way. Will be interesting to see how the "new" one comes through. 

Would be VERY nice if they'd include the '66 GT350 side scoops, too. I guess the '65 GT350R front pan is just too much to even wish for. 

66MustangGTTurq21.jpg.4b995d4700d7ae145e8544a3550e208f.jpg

Edited by Snake45
  • Like 3

I’m very excited about the ‘66 Mustang 2 + 2. I couldn’t tell, but I’m hoping it has the GT package. Particularly the grille with the fog lamps. The wheels they show make me think that its a good possibility. 

The Charger, and other kits, don’t really excite me. There’s some stuff they showed, that may end up in my collection. But not much. Which is okay. I have too many models as it is.