Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

8 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

When the car was sold at auction a few years ago , the auctioneers made it very plain to potential buyers that it was a clone.

Not a real convertable.

Nope. Not a Hemi Cuda cvt. 4 real Cuda convertibles cloned into Hemi lookalikes.Β 
https://www.motorious.com/articles/features-3/nash-bridges-plymouth-hemi-cuda/amp/

40 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

When the car was sold at auction a few years ago , the auctioneers made it very plain to potential buyers that it was a clone.

Not a real convertable.

Articles I have been reading have also called them clones, because none of them started out as Hemis and none were 1971s. Not that they weren't originally convertibles.

"My sense is that Round 2 is very well aware of the modeling communities' interest in doing a new tool clone of the original MPC '68 Coronet R/T.Β  Whether that will eventually translate into a new kit or not, I do not know. "

Β I'mΒ  in! That would be great, as I boughtΒ  real one for $1000 in '85,

restored it over time for 15years , then sold it for 14k 20 years ago.Β 

now the kits are going for what I payed for a real one back in 80s__

Β 

Β 

52a98c38eda5327735827905c94aabc4.jpg

coronetrt.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

To do a 'proper' convertible, a metric tonne of work is required.Β 

The cars' V.I.N.'s would tell the story:Β "23" is hardtop, "27" is convertible.

Movie cars. Nobody cares, but link discusses real converts.Β 
At this point, of the 4-5 Hemi convertibles built, only 27 remain. πŸ€”πŸ€·πŸ»

• Haha 2

On 4/6/2022 at 7:47 PM, s.p.e.c.t.r.e. said:

"My sense is that Round 2 is very well aware of the modeling communities' interest in doing a new tool clone of the original MPC '68 Coronet R/T.Β  Whether that will eventually translate into a new kit or not, I do not know. "

Β I'mΒ  in! That would be great, as I boughtΒ  real one for $1000 in '85,

restored it over time for 15years , then sold it for 14k 20 years ago.Β 

now the kits are going for what I payed for a real one back in 80s__

Β 

Β 

52a98c38eda5327735827905c94aabc4.jpg

coronetrt.jpg

That would be incredible! And a '68 Charger too!

8 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, it is a movie car......

...and it's really close to the folks at Round2, and it's going to be restored soon, too. Actually, not the craziest idea, especially if Round2 has licensing for Jim Henson Productions or whatever it's called.

An all-new stock and street rod style bullet nose Studebaker kit would be quite the welcome surprise.Β 

I mean, the reference material is only a few miles away, in the basement of the Studebaker Museum:

2v2HcRaiMx6bzhT.jpg

• Like 1

Jim Henson's works aside from those belonging to the Children's Television Workshop fall under the Disney umbrella so it would come down to Round 2's standing agreements with Disney.Β 

That being said, now I get to be reminded of Racing Champions killing off the development of the new-tool Studebaker that AMT/Ertl had cooking at the time of the takeover and how there's no such thing as a 1/25th scale Studebaker tooled up in the 21st century. Thanks guys.

Ertl never even started on the bullet nose Stude.Β  It, and the '49 or '50 Olds, only got as far as pasted-together mockup boxes that were displayed at a hobby industry show.Β  Neither drummed up enough interest, so neither got any further than that as far as Ertl was concerned.

12 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

That being said, now I get to be reminded of Racing Champions killing off the development of the new-tool Studebaker that AMT/Ertl had cooking at the time of the takeover and how there's no such thing as a 1/25th scale Studebaker tooled up in the 21st century. Thanks guys.

Well, Round2 recently brought back the far longer-dead Garwood refuse truck, and while from a totally different era, it does makes some sense. Not sure the Muppet Movie tie-in is all that strong compared to other franchises, so I doubt it will happen, but I'll hope for it, then be disappointed by what is actually announced.Β 

AMT did make the Studebaker promo from '50-'56.Β  Also being in South Bend, the Studebaker Museum has cars that can be used for reference.Β  For those who haven't seen it, the museum has a great collection including Studebaker carriages and wagons and the Packard Predictor.Β  Below is the 1950 promo:

Β Β Studebaker Toys Home Page

11 minutes ago, keyser said:

JL did a diecast Stude and a 57 sedan delivery. Decent. Seemed a bit big but that should be around.Β 
57sedel has correct rear bumper for RM DelRio btw.Β 

67C69DC5-7F51-4357-8B87-62CD4FD04DA7.jpeg

That Stude is WAY too big, even for 1/24.Β  Closer to 1/21 or 1/22 scale.Β  Those weren't big cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I mean, the reference material is only a few miles away, in the basement of the Studebaker Museum:

2v2HcRaiMx6bzhT.jpg

If that's the car from the movie (and it says it is), then what was it used for afterward to get it to looking like this?

Looks like the car was modified to have a driver in the back of Fozzy, so what use would the car be for anybody else after that?

Was it used in something else?

1 minute ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

If that's the car from the movie (and it says it is), then what was it used for afterward to get it to looking like this?

Looks like the car was modified to have a driver in the back of Fozzy, so what use would the car be for anybody else after that?

https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/news/local/2022/01/04/studebaker-museum-south-bend-revives-fozzie-bear-muppet-movie-car/9054565002/

Movin' right along...🐸🐻🐷

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Nevermind, two minutes on Google and I found my answer.

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Fozzie's_Studebaker

Google is my friend!!

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Thanks 1

What about the 1970 GTO from the movie "Two-Lane Blacktop"?

MPC "re-did"(?) the 1970 GTO in the 1990s from their 1972 GTO molds (I think), and then re-re-modified it back into the current 1972 GTO, as I recall.

It should aslo be "easy" to do the 1955 Chevy from that movie; they already have the stock '55 BelAir.