Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

6 hours ago, Carmak said:

If you want Round 2 to clone the 68 Coronet go out and buy the 63 Nova wagon and the two versions of the 64 Cutlass.

The more of those that are sold the better the business case Round 2 will have for the 68 Coronet.

I have happily bought multiples of the Nova and Cutlass and I will buy multiples of the Coronet if given the chance.

Already did buy both versions of the Cutlass kit.

On 4/11/2022 at 10:34 AM, oldscool said:

Horn as a wiper motor hahahahaha. I've been telling people about this for years and they still keep sticking the horn on the firewall. LOL

That explains why on my '70 Super Bee when I press the horn button, the wipers come on. When I turn on the wipers, the horn blows. 

• Haha 2

On 4/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, 1972coronet said:

Should Round2 reissue the 1968 Coronet kit, I'd be willing to bet it'd be a new body, etc., with the 1968-1969 Road Runner/GTX chassis, etc., just like the 1970 Super Bee kit of yore. 

Not a bad move, really. Those two kits practically fall-together... horn-as-a-wiper-motor notwithstanding.

Hopefully you've seen the last of the instruction sheet horn vs wiper motor error regarding AMT's modern tool B-body platform.  The instructions will now show part #141 wiper motor which is actually on one of the chrome trees kind of hidden in plain sight.   

spacer.png

As for future kits no news yet but some announcements are expected soon .... 

-Steve

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Hopefully you've seen the last of the instruction sheet horn vs wiper motor error regarding AMT's modern tool B-body platform.  The instructions will now show part #141 wiper motor which is actually on one of the chrome trees kind of hidden in plain sight.   

spacer.png

As for future kits no news yet but some announcements are expected soon .... 

-Steve

Thanks Steve.   I recall being called on the carpet on this subject after an article where I made the same mistake a couple of decades ago....TIM   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I doubt that there's many builders that didn't make the same mistake of gluing the horn to the firewall on those kits. After all, that's how the instruction were. I'm working on a '69 GTX currently. Surely I won't make that mistake again!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks Steve.   I recall being called on the carpet on this subject after an article where I made the same mistake a couple of decades ago....TIM   

Well that can't any worse then building not one, but two box art models the with horn installed on the firewall.  I fixed the Pro-Street Coronet build later but my 69 GTX build clearly shows my mistake on the box and it's still currently the same way in my collection. 

-Steve

spacer.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

Well that can't any worse then building not one, but two box art models the with horn installed on the firewall.  I fixed the Pro-Street Coronet build later but my 69 GTX build clearly shows my mistake on the box and it's still currently the same way in my collection. 

-Steve

Now I don't feel so bad; I'm in good company.

In my own defense....the kits built for these  "mass market"-style boxes were all rush jobs; no time for extensive research

zAMT-R2-686-5.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2022 at 8:12 AM, 1972coronet said:

[...]The AMT 1955 Chevy is another dinosaur. I'm not knocking it --and, perhaps, I'm thinking it's older than it is-- but lots of mods would be required to replicate the heavily-modified Two Lane Blacktop '55 coupe.

Yes. To replicate a version of the 'Two Lane Blacktop' '55 Chevy would be a project.

AMT (Round2) needs to refocus the theme of their 1955 Chevy Bel Air kit from the now-dated 'Street Machines' to the current 'Retro-Gassers'.

With the existing Gasser parts in their '55 Nomad kit, there's enough to start a basic early Gasser. Add colored window-glass, a generous decal sheet, rear wheel cut-out scribing, roll bar, and perhaps a needed transmission mount bracket...and you're on your way!

Scan 3.jpeg

AMT 2755 '55 Nomad.jpeg

Staub Bros. 55 Gasser 3.png

001-Brendon-Vetuskey-55-chevy-gasser-wes-allison-photos.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

Yes. To replicate a version of the 'Two Lane Blacktop' '55 Chevy would be a project.

AMT (Round2) needs to refocus the theme of their 1955 Chevy Bel Air kit from the now-dated 'Street Machines' to the current 'Retro-Gassers'.

With the existing Gasser parts in their '55 Nomad kit, there's enough to start a basic early Gasser. Add colored window-glass, a generous decal sheet, rear wheel cut-out scribing, roll bar, and perhaps a needed transmission mount bracket...and you're on your way!

AMT actually marketed two different versions of the '55 2-door sedan.  The stock/street machine version, which Round2 just reissued.  There was also a 2nd version with the street machine parts plus the Nomad drag parts (which couldn't be built stock, I believe).

With all the current gasser madness, I really thought Round2 might reissue that version, emphasizing the gasser/drag parts vs. the '80s/'90s street machine parts, as you mentioned.

Since they have the only game in town if you want a '55 sedan, maybe it doesn't matter.  But I thought playing up the gasser theme could have helped.

AMT-6001FB-2.jpg

AMT-6001FB-5.jpg

Edited by Robberbaron

16 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

AMT-6001FB-2.jpg

I'm familiar with this AMT/Ertl release (#6601) from 1991 but I've never seen its contents or instruction sheet.

I understand that it contains the solid-front-axle gasser suspension from the original AMT '55 Nomad kit (1965). Does it also contain the rear ladder/traction bars as well?

File2-vi.jpg

Edited by blizzy63

19 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

I'm familiar with this AMT/Ertl release (#6601) from 1991 but I've never seen its contents or instruction sheet.

I understand that it contains the solid-front-axle gasser suspension from the original AMT '55 Nomad kit (1965). Does it also contain the rear ladder/traction bars as well?

File2-vi.jpg

I have that kit. I think I got rid of the gasser parts. But, I can check the instructions. 

Edit: I checked the instructions for the pink boxart '55. No traction bars. Also, it can't be stock.

Edited by Plowboy

On 5/6/2022 at 5:50 PM, blizzy63 said:

Scan 3.jpeg

AMT 2755 '55 Nomad.jpeg

Staub Bros. 55 Gasser 3.png

001-Brendon-Vetuskey-55-chevy-gasser-wes-allison-photos.jpg

I thought the Nomad's drag version looked a lot like the blue '55 sedan, but never actually compared the two. 

The blue 1:1 '55 sedan was a local car.  My older brother told me that, when he bought another car ('52 Mercury convertible) in 1972, that '55 was in the garage next to it.  It was also for sale, but in 1972 it was just an old drag car, minus engine, that was never really competitive to begin with.  Few people would have bothered to try to put it back on the street back then.  His guess was that it probably ended its days on a dirt track, or got parted out.

It had the NHRA legal 10% engine setback (furthest forward spark plug behind the front axle center line by 10% of the stock wheelbase).  But the drivers' seat could not be moved further back than the B-pillar, leaving a cramped drivers' compartment.  The gas pedal was nearly vertical.  The car was nicely finished, as I remember it had a custom interior with chromed garnish moldings around the windows.  Body/paint and possibly the front axle installation were by Ron Gerstner, who built a few well-known custom cars.  Monogram copied his '34 Ford coupe altered for one of their 1/32 scale drag car kits.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, they've either created a new body, or they performed a serious revision to the 1970 Coronet hardtop's tooling. 
I'm betting on the latter... 

I hope that the AMT 1968-1969 Road Runner et al. chassis, etc., will replace the old annuals' inaccurate engine compartment (1966 & earlier brake master, etc.) , so-so suspension, and hole-through-the-block engine.
Even if that's not the case. I'll still be quite pleased to see the '68 'Net return!

Check out those correct-for-the-era wheel covers, too!

21 minutes ago, keyser said:

Woot. I’ve got original but glad they did it. Doubtless a coupe will follow. Happy end to the jillions of Coronet threads. Those guys need to buy these by case. 
Where was this?

I'm guessing the HCMA Show in Indianapolis, that's going on today and it's a quick drive down from South Bend.

10 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Obviously, they've either created a new body, or they performed a serious revision to the 1970 Coronet hardtop's tooling. 
I'm betting on the latter... 

I hope that the AMT 1968-1969 Road Runner et al. chassis, etc., will replace the old annuals' inaccurate engine compartment (1966 & earlier brake master, etc.) , so-so suspension, and hole-through-the-block engine.
Even if that's not the case. I'll still be quite pleased to see the '68 'Net return!

Check out those correct-for-the-era wheel covers, too!

My guess is they've 3D scanned an original kit ala the Transtar.  Notice the entire thing is a prototype, it's not mixed half plastic kit/half 3D print the way the Mustang was when it was shown a few months ago.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, keyser said:

Woot. I’ve got original but glad they did it. Doubtless a coupe will follow. Happy end to the jillions of Coronet threads. Those guys need to buy these by case. 
Where was this?

It's nice that they did it, and it shows that they are paying attention to us.  I just hope all the people who have been clamouring for this don't decide they don't need one after all.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

44 minutes ago, keyser said:

Where was this?

The End? Oh no, no, no! 

Now the accuracy, why didn't they, they could have, JoHan and other threads will commence! 

All threads lead to some MOPAR related thing! As we speak, this thread is ending up in nothing but that! Not even a peep about the Bronco, but already peeps about the new Charger! LOL! 

Ray Liotta GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

The End? Oh no, no, no! 

Now the accuracy, why didn't they, they could have, JoHan and other threads will commence! 

All threads lead to some MOPAR related thing! As we speak, this thread is ending up in nothing but that! Not even a peep about the Bronco, but already peeps about the new Charger! LOL! 

Ray Liotta GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I wonder if that Bronco will have to sit in a parking lot in Detroit for several months waiting on it's scale microchips before it shows up at your LHS with a fat "Market Adjustment" attached to the MSRP...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3