Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

I will say while it would have been cool to have the underhood detail on the Bronco right from AMT, being a curbside is not a bad thing assuming they put the effort into making the chassis have a good amount of detail. If you look at several of the 4x4 kits that Aoshima made over the years, they are all curbside, but they have excellently detailed chassis' and nicely detailed bodies and interiors. With it being mentioned that the hood is a separate piece (unlike Aoshima in this instance), this means that a builder adding their own engine and underhood detail is still possible. I am also hopefull that since they didn't spend the time working on the underhood parts, they instead added some nice exterior options.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

I will say while it would have been cool to have the underhood detail on the Bronco right from AMT, being a curbside is not a bad thing assuming they put the effort into making the chassis have a good amount of detail. If you look at several of the 4x4 kits that Aoshima made over the years, they are all curbside, but they have excellently detailed chassis' and nicely detailed bodies and interiors. With it being mentioned that the hood is a separate piece (unlike Aoshima in this instance), this means that a builder adding their own engine and underhood detail is still possible. I am also hopefull that since they didn't spend the time working on the underhood parts, they instead added some nice exterior options.

I agree, there's plenty of 3d printed Coyote motors out there if someone wants to spice up the Bronco. Though it is a shame we're not getting a modern small turbo motor for transplanting into smaller sports cars.

15 hours ago, DZ7581 said:

If they are doing new parts for the sod buster can a new dash be added. That series chevy truck had 70's style dash in an 80's truck

I could forgive/fix that if they would stick a bench seat in it instead of the horrible bucket seats it comes with. 

• Like 1

Various versions of the MPC Squarebody have come with both the Buckets & an oddly shaped bench, so both were tooled.

Here are the '68 and '68 Coronet Instructions. Guess what parts might still be hiding in the tool cavity! I hope the West Coast Trailer Mirrors, Custom Grille, Injector Stacks & Manifold. and Clear Hood Scoop make it! Notice the '69 adds some minimal Police Gear for the roof. (and Radio Antenna, but no Radio inside!!).

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1243/mpc-68-dodge-coronet-convertible

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1243/mpc-68-dodge-coronet-convertible

Then there is this. Magnum GT II. Kit experts can tell us how this kit connects to the Coronets, but the Bucket Seats, Chassis and many other parts appear to come right from the Coronet Kit. I really like the Custom Dash Board, and LSR Single Seat Option.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/433/mpc-magnum-gt-ii

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I could forgive/fix [the dashboard] if they would stick a bench seat in it instead of the horrible bucket seats it comes with.

The bench seat from the 1978 2WD annual must still exist. I don't remember if the Sod Buster et al. has the console moulded-in with the interior bucket, or if it's separate?

I hesitate to mention the decent-but-incorrect SBC included (which is also in the late 70's/early 80's Monte Carlo annuals) in the MPC 1978-c.1982 C/K because, once again, picking fly poop from pepper.

31 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Then there is this. Magnum GT II. Kit experts can tell us how this kit connects to the Coronets, but the Bucket Seats, Chassis and many other parts appear to come right from the Coronet Kit. I really like the Custom Dash Board, and LSR Single Seat Option.

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/433/mpc-magnum-gt-ii

Doesn't connect to the Coronets at all. The Dodge Monaco was used for that car, which was a full size car.

10 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Thanks, Steve! I did not have a clue about the History of that kit.

Is this a Full Size Monaco kit too?

http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/mission_impossible.html

http://www.showrods.com/images/mission_impossible/mission_big.JPG

The Mission Impossible kit is the 69 Coronet R/T kit with the custom parts added.  Nothing here from the  full size Monaco kit.

1 hour ago, kurth said:

That also looks like a new grille and bumper.  The grille in the recent issues of that kit is a mess, and the bumper had the turn signals molded into it and this one does not.  Please ... separate headlights!  I think I also see a more appropriate sized wheel / tire combo, not the giant 1/20th scale wheels.

Interesting kit indeed.

The '81 and '82 Chevy pickups actually should have the turn signals in the bumpers. It was the '83-'87s that had grille mounted turn signals.

As far as the grille being a mess in the recent issues, besides the chrome headlights, they look pretty accurate to me. The '84 GMC shouldn't have the bumper mounted turn signals.

20220207_134934-1.jpg.78eb3c1a09947cc6ef34cb3808ba7e5a.jpg

237888128_84GMC_K30_Crew_Dually_White085DesktopResolution.jpg.25394ca12eec21261ed7b2e8a3d05b01.jpg

20211220_104519-1.jpg.b4fa4a9f96cfc67efd937fe331caa70d.jpg

img20190906081115-1568207918117@2x.jpg.2e2118a36426af1fc623d9170e52a037.jpg 

31 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The '81 and '82 Chevy pickups actually should have the turn signals in the bumpers. It was the '83-'87s that had grille mounted turn signals.

As far as the grille being a mess in the recent issues, besides the chrome headlights, they look pretty accurate to me. The '84 GMC shouldn't have the bumper mounted turn signals.

Yea, I thought mine turned out pretty good. Just got rid of the molded in lenses

152 5283

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

The kit currently has turn signals in the bumpers and the grille, so it is a mix and match of years.  The grill just looks odd to me, like the headlights are too big.

I was just really happy to see they addressed the things I do not like about  the  kit

4 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Well if the new step side has that grille and bumper combo in the prototype pic, then you could swap one or the other with the Deserter kit to have both correct versions.

The bumper shown on the mockup is actually for a future '83-'84 version.  I was kind of waiting to see who be the first to spot it.  The correct turning lamp bumper is in the tooling now but needs to be modified to remove the GMC logo and wasn't ready yet.  In fact there are several versions planned to come after the Sod Buster run is over.  

-Steve

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

The bumper shown on the mockup is actually for a future '83-'84 version.  I was kind of waiting to see who be the first to spot it.  The correct turning lamp bumper is in the tooling now but needs to be modified to remove the GMC logo and wasn't ready yet.  In fact there are several versions planned to come after the Sod Buster run is over.  

-Steve

Thanks for confirming, Steve.  Sounds like lotsa cool Squarebody stuff in the pipeline.

Crossing my fingers for a 2WD option or version in the future (see Can-Con's build above)

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 11:59 AM, Plowboy said:

I'm thinking/hoping/crossing fingers that at some point Round2 will bless us with a '68 Impala SS based on their '67. Especially since they did the four door. I would gladly send them mine to reverse engineer one.

442696908_2022-05-2212_45_09.jpg.ddb4b28c6f72ba949b6266c87ba1c4b3.jpg  

Roger, thanks for posting this.  Probably the best build of a '68 Impala I've ever seen (don't remember seing it with the stock wheelcovers before, though).  I had similar hopes after AMT/Ertl released the '67.

We have all the Impalas available from 58 to 70, except the 68 and 69.  The 68 kills me because we know the body and interior wasn't updated or butchered into a showcar, so theoretically the tooling could still exist.  (I know the chassis/drivetrain kept getting recycled and now resides in the '76 Caprice)

Then again, MPC probably saw no reason to keep the body/interior tooling if they had no use for it.  (Yet the fact that the '70 Super Bee body/interior survived and got resurrected gives me a tinge of hope)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

I hope one of those versions is a fleetside bed. Round2 could do several versions with this kit. Longbed, 2wd, 3/4 ton etc. 

8 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Do any of the "Squarebody" kits (including Revell) have floorboard/stepwell detail?

Yes, the MPC square body has floorpan detail on each side of the frame. It also has the gas tank on the wrong side. In MPC's defense, it was on the right side for the earlier Chevies.

• Like 1