Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

The early versions with optional windows often broke at cowl. Hard to repair for kid, and broken again when attaching body to chassis. Can’t see engine really anyway, if body redone make hood openable if you wish. Later vans had fixed hood, no cracked cowls. 

3 hours ago, keyser said:

The early versions with optional windows often broke at cowl. Hard to repair for kid, and broken again when attaching body to chassis. Can’t see engine really anyway, if body redone make hood openable if you wish. Later vans had fixed hood, no cracked cowls. 

The current foxy box chevy van has a molded in hood but also includes the separate hood so its almost there 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Heck yes! at least offer a 6-in-1 (haha) of the van: Stock, Police, Ambulance, Shaggin' Wagon, Open Road, with a full complement of period options (how about that 396-402-427-454 for that far out dragster version!).

So, return of the properly ribbed roof, 8 lug steel wheels w/separate hubcaps, a grip of sunroof/skylights (tinted and clear)... Oh, and surfboards!

Kinda odd that they removed the roof ribbing, but since the GMC specific parts are still there anything is still is possible, tho while I'd like to have a window van I doubt it will ever return, the same for the Mpc Dodge window van, of which I was able to buy a few copies over the years.

The plan for one of them is to make some sort of 4x4 Alaskan polar bear tour bus out of it, but need to find the compact Ford Econoliner or F series 4x4 system, and then there's graphics ;)  Yeah I'm full of wacky idea's, 'till I sit on da bench.....Then I pull out another kit and my mind goes into overdrive on how to do that one, yeah, I'm totally bonkers LOL

OIP.rXKoSnHmHWwVWC9oGQUkRwHaGP?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The Ford Transit series replaced their Econoline series, starting with the importation of the European iteration (built in Turkey, IIRC). The Sprinter replaced the Dodge B-Van some years ago as well (a poor replacement, IMO, for the B-series). In spite of my final comment, the Sprinter is a big seller, both commercially and "civilian" -- mostly de facto R.V. conversions (with some really cool looking off-road-capable versions!).

Both would sell quite well, particularly in European and, perhaps, Asian markets. I can only imagine that they would sell well in the U.S., albeit to a lesser degree.

I drive a 2018 Sprinter company van , IMHO they're comfortable and fast enough to keep up with traffic.

Here it is parked in front of our house....in the middle of the street.....

climavan.jpg.c28c17c26eae2f66041a80a7bd4e3e16.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Kinda odd that they removed the roof ribbing, but since the GMC specific parts are still there anything is still is possible, tho while I'd like to have a window van I doubt it will ever return, the same for the Mpc Dodge window van, of which I was able to buy a few copies over the years.

The plan for one of them is to make some sort of 4x4 Alaskan polar bear tour bus out of it, but need to find the compact Ford Econoliner or F series 4x4 system, and then there's graphics ;)  Yeah I'm full of wacky idea's, 'till I sit on da bench.....Then I pull out another kit and my mind goes into overdrive on how to do that one, yeah, I'm totally bonkers LOL

OIP.rXKoSnHmHWwVWC9oGQUkRwHaGP?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Luc, I cringe every time I see you called those vans "Econoliner", it's just "Econoline". 😞

1970 Ford Econoline Custom 200 Van Junkyard Find

Edited by Can-Con

On 5/27/2022 at 12:02 PM, 1972coronet said:

The Sprinter replaced the Dodge B-Van some years ago as well (a poor replacement, IMO, for the B-series). In spite of my final comment, the Sprinter is a big seller, both commercially and "civilian" -- mostly de facto R.V. conversions (with some really cool looking off-road-capable versions!).

You know that Sprinters disappeared from Dodge dealers when Chrysler and Daimler "divorced", right? Their van now is the RAM Promaster which is a Fiat Ducato. Current Sprinters are only sold through Mercedes-Benz, although Freightliner sold them for a while as well.

My friends are making a decent living building out Sprinter "lifestyle vans" and they are quite nice and get decent highway fuel economy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Oops, sorry have a mild form of  dyslexie, thus sometimes read words the wrong way

No worries, I have a co-worker who calls the current large Ford van "Transient". I don't think she knows any better.....😄

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2022 at 8:58 AM, Plowboy said:

butchered body." The Moebius '65 Nova ...

Are you one of those who thinks the 65 Nova is so far off that it looks butchered? Lots of guys just love to complain though they've probably built tons of crappy models in the past.  I usually work with what I get after checking out the accuracy of the kit. The '65 is a GREAT kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Larry Rose said:

Are you one of those who thinks the 65 Nova is so far off that it looks butchered? Lots of guys just love to complain though they've probably built tons of crappy models in the past.  I usually work with what I get after checking out the accuracy of the kit. The '65 is a GREAT kit.

Be careful here... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rodent said:

No worries, I have a co-worker who calls the current large Ford van "Transient". I don't think she knows any better.....😄

A guy I used to work with owns a GMC ARcadia.  Yup, he doesn't even know what it is his wife drives!

On 5/27/2022 at 6:00 PM, Luc Janssens said:

I don't care about the 1/20 scale, but do wonder if those kits would generate interest, if they were scanned and resized in 1/25th scale and if it would be technically possible to do so.

Yes, I would much rather see that 1/20 Econoline reproduced in 1/25.   On the subject of scanning kits where the tooling is gone/altered, it would be nice to have the '70s Dodge vans back as well.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

The MPC Supra might be coming back?!?!

I can't wait for it! One of MPC's finest kits ever! 
Hopefully this time it'll include 'glass' which one can actually see-through (though, a deeply-tinted backlight would be period correct).
Oh, and new tyres, too, please.