Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

12 hours ago, Can-Con said:

The '66 -'69 Lincolns were a completely different body from the '65s. The only thing the kits could share would be the chassis plate. Engines were different too. 

The 460 didn't replace the 462 engine until late in the 1968 model year.  It would have to be an all-new body and interior anyway. 

A Mark III or Mark IV would probably sell better as a kit.    

8 hours ago, Motor City said:

The 460 didn't replace the 462 engine until late in the 1968 model year.  It would have to be an all-new body and interior anyway. 

A Mark III or Mark IV would probably sell better as a kit.    

That's correct. Lincoln started using the 460 in '68 and was the only engine available in the Continentals in '69.

That's supposed to be a 430 in the '65. 462s started in '66 and were standard in Continentals until '68.. 

This is the engine in the '66 -'69 kits.

136 3643

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PintoKING said:

Any news about:  AMT-1363    Plymouth Roadrunner "customizing car" ?

I am very curious about it!

Quite likely a re-pop of the ~30 year old AMT 1968 R.R., with its grotesque late 80's-early 90's graphics, wheels, engine dress-ups, as well as a stock (wiper motor horn) option.

I hope that I'm wrong -- I hope that Round2 will tool some period correct wheels, engine customising parts, etc., in addition to a full compliment of stock decals.

Even if the yucky 80's-90's parts are its only option, I would buy a copy or two if the DOHC Hemi from the Super Bee is included...

Edited by 1972coronet

31 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Quite likely a re-pop of the ~30 year old AMT 1968 R.R., with its grotesque late 80's-early 90's graphics, wheels, engine dress-ups, as well as a stock (wiper motor horn) option.

I hope that I'm wrong -- I hope that Round2 will tool some period correct wheels, engine customising parts, etc., in addition to a full compliment of stock decals.

Even if the yucky 80's-90's parts are its only option, I would buy a copy or two if the DOHC Hemi from the Super Bee is included...

I'm thinking it might be the pro street version.

57 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I'm thinking it might be the pro street version.

Could be. But, I would think it would've been called that instead of a customizing kit. I just hope it isn't some George Barris abomination. I'm hoping you're right!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Could be. But, I would think it would've been called that instead of a customizing kit. I just hope it isn't some George Barris abomination. I'm hoping you're right!

the last issue kit AMT821/12 was labeled as 1968 customizing model car kit . Just a reissue

On 6/16/2022 at 12:13 PM, Mr mopar said:

What is this 

MPC-978 1/25 1968 Dodge Coronet Convertible w/Trailer $46.95 TBA
AMT-1363 1/25 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner Customizing Car

$38.98

TBA

AMT1363 is reissue of AMT849 from 2013.  The box art has been freshened, instruction sheet has been fixed with the correct wiper motor part # and graphic.   Decals are expanded stock detailing items, there's no 80's or 90's graphics.  Same contents, no new parts this time around. Look for it this fall.  

I'm promised first test shots of MPC978 1968 Coronet RT end of July, fingers crossed that they're on schedule.

-Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

AMT1363 is reissue of AMT849 from 2013.  The box art has been freshened, instruction sheet has been fixed with the correct wiper motor part # and graphic.   Decals are expanded stock detailing items, there's no 80's or 90's graphics.  Same contents, no new parts this time around. Look for it this fall.  

I'm promised first test shots of MPC978 1968 Coronet RT end of July, fingers crossed that they're on schedule.

-Steve

Steve, I'm so glad you're here to give us the dope on what's coming up and that you're also taking the time to hear us!

Great customer relations!

Reminds me of Budd Anderson back in the 60s.

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Like 1

It makes sense to do the Green Hornet as long as they have the licensing.

Did anyone say it was coming from the original 1964 tooling?  Today it may even be easier to produce that curbside kit as an all new tool.

And as the Whine-Fest develops,  note that this kit isn't aimed at us car model geeks.  It's going out to the TV and Movie fans, there are large conventions all over the country.   Most of the kits will be sold to this market, and many will never have the shrink wrap broken.

And it makes business sense... 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

It wouldve been cool, but highly unlikely, to be a Rapid Transit type custom 

Jo-Han included a similar grille in their '70 Road Runner kit, and MPC included a version in their '72 kit that resembled the red car.  Nobody is going to tool new parts for existing kits, to build fifty year old auto show cars that are pretty much forgotten to anyone other than hardcore Mopar fans.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Jo-Han included a similar grille in their '70 Road Runner kit, and MPC included a version in their '72 kit that resembled the red car.  Nobody is going to tool new parts for existing kits, to build fifty year old auto show cars that are pretty much forgotten to anyone other than hardcore Mopar fans.

Begs the question: Do those custom parts from the 1972-only-issue of the MPC Road Runner exist? 

No way to tell...they weren't in the '71 annual, and when that one was restored by Ertl in the late Eighties, they chose to put the '71 optional parts back in.  The '72 parts weren't exactly like the show car.  Someone who really wants that version can probably work it up on their own.

5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

The box for AMT 849, last issued in 2013.1968 Plymouth Roadrunner MOLDED IN YELLOW, AMT 849, 1/25 scale | Wheels and  Wings Hobbies estore

Does anyone have this issue? What is included in it that makes it a customizing kit?

Mag wheels and decals won't do it!

I have the original issue with the orange car on the box and that's about all that was included. Did they add anything else?

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Does anyone have this issue? What is included in it that makes it a customizing kit?

Mag wheels and decals won't do it!

I have the original issue with the orange car on the box and that's about all that was included. Did they add anything else?

Here's a pic of the contents, hemi only with both intakes, three air cleaner options, and two wheel options.

pic260632-1523418362.jpg.dda2c4f2405749ff5bfe107b28041c00.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Here's a pic of the contents, hemi only with both intakes, three air cleaner options, and two wheel options.

pic260632-1523418362.jpg.dda2c4f2405749ff5bfe107b28041c00.jpg

Yea, exactly the same parts as in the original issue and all the non-pro street issues since.