Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

12 hours ago, Motor City said:

I wonder if Round2 is considering bringing production back to the U.S. due to the transportation costs and logistical issues of creating or modifying tooling. 

You’ll know for sure in a year or two when Round2 has made the tooling for a few upcoming kits. 

Here's a preview of the AMT1328 1966 Thunderbird Convertible - Hardtop kit which now includes a restored Sport Roadster style Tonneau cover not seen since the very first annual issue in 1966.   Also added is a set of new tooling Roadster style wire wheels, almost identical to the modern tool 62 T-bird wheels but specifically designed fit the annual style wheel backs.   Look for these Wheels to also be available in their own special Tire and Wheel Parts Pack which I'll have more details on soon.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This should be out late third or early fourth quarter of this year. 

-Steve

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

Here's a preview of the AMT1328 1966 Thunderbird Convertible - Hardtop kit which now includes a restored Sport Roadster style Tonneau cover not seen since the very first annual issue in 1966.   Also added is a set of new tooling Roadster style wire wheels, almost identical to the modern tool 62 T-bird wheels but specifically designed fit the annual style wheel backs.   Look for these Wheels to also be available in their own special Tire and Wheel Parts Pack which I'll have more details on soon.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

-Steve

And once again you can thank me for this. Two years ago I paid a pretty penny for this on eBay just to get the SR tonneau cover. 

Come to think of it, I probably didn't pay much if any more than the MSRP of the new kit by the time it actually becomes available....:unsure:

66TBird02.jpg.c6fe0f3c6c8b2795ce3297daaac5ce1c.jpg

66TBird05.jpg.0d5e1fa7fc568d929748770b56e3ac39.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And once again you can thank me for this. Two years ago I paid a pretty penny for this on eBay just to get the SR tonneau cover. 

Come to think of it, I probably didn't pay much if any more than the MSRP of the new kit by the time it actually becomes available....:unsure:

66TBird02.jpg.c6fe0f3c6c8b2795ce3297daaac5ce1c.jpg

66TBird05.jpg.0d5e1fa7fc568d929748770b56e3ac39.jpg

I hope you bought a mpc 71 dodge van too 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SteveG said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

-Steve

Is this the kit that Round 2 was going to announce?  Everyone on the "Rumours" thread was taking guesses as to what could possible be announced.  Looks like this was the big announcement.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

Is this the kit that Round 2 was going to announce?  Everyone on the "Rumours" thread was taking guesses as to what could possible be announced.  Looks like this was the big announcement.

No, this isn't the "big" announcement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GMP440 said:

No, it's definitely not the "big" announcement that's been teased.  That subject is being fully cloned can't be built factory stock.  The '66 T-bird reissue is part of larger ongoing tooling restoration, Improvement and expansion project.   We're also working on new Parts Pack tire and wheel sets and new decal sheets.   

-Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

If you're looking for other wheels to put in your Parts Packs,  I think you should give some serious thought to adding the ones from your upcoming Black Beauty kit.

Give that man a Harrumph! 

On Stephenson County Board: Let's harrumph the harrumphers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

If you're looking for other wheels to put in your Parts Packs,  I think you should give some serious thought to adding the ones from your upcoming Black Beauty kit.

Of course, after I just paid $$$ for a '67 Camaro annual.  😒  

19 hours ago, SteveG said:

No, it's definitely not the "big" announcement that's been teased.  That subject is being fully cloned can't be built factory stock.  The '66 T-bird reissue is part of larger ongoing tooling restoration, Improvement and expansion project.   We're also working on new Parts Pack tire and wheel sets and new decal sheets.   

-Steve

Any chance we could see the Polyglas packs, again? I love those tires, and I keep going through them. They'd be appreciated, over here!

On 6/24/2022 at 8:47 PM, SteveG said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

-Steve

Nice to see the SR tonneau cover back in the mix. I assume the original one was still in the tool, or did you guys have to tool up a new one? The Sports Roadster wires are another nice touch, and a big improvement over the optional wheels in the previous issues. These additions will definitely sway those like myself who may already have a couple in the stash.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

I've got a tire pack request, the Firestone Wide Ovals from the Baldwin Motion Camaro. My dream would be tooling up a matching set of two smaller front tires around the size of the ones in the Duster kits and pad printing the white letters on them. Include a big and little set of either Halibrand or Cragar SS wheels with deep dish rears and I'll buy literally dozens of them.

There is a huge lack of good big and little tires and wheels. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

There is a huge lack of good big and little tires and wheels. 

What Brian said, and I heartily endorse Daniel's suggestion above.  

Last I raised this idea to Round 2 (maybe a year or two ago???) there was a licensing related issue (may have been that a parts pack release somehow lied outside the terms of the existing kit licensing agreement with the tire manufacturer???) 

As of right now, the only Round 2 kit I know of that contains both the Polyglas F-60-15 and L-60-15 tires was last reissue of the AMT 1966 Mustang hardtop, and it is pretty expensive to buy that kit again and again, just to get the tires you need for muscle era model projects.  If anyone knows of another Round 2 kit containing both these tire sizes in the same boxx, please respond here!  

TIM 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

As of right now, the only Round 2 kit I know of that contains both the Polyglas F-60-15 and L-60-15 tires was last reissue of the AMT 1966 Mustang hardtop, and it is pretty expensive to buy that kit again and again, just to get the tires you need for muscle era model projects.  If anyone knows of another Round 2 kit containing both these tire sizes in the same boxx, please respond here!  

AMT 1968 Z~28 has the F-60 and L-60 tyres.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

What Brian said, and I heartily endorse Daniel's suggestion above.  

Last I raised this idea to Round 2 (maybe a year or two ago???) there was a licensing related issue (may have been that a parts pack release somehow lied outside the terms of the existing kit licensing agreement with the tire manufacturer???) 

TIM 

I want to say that the recent Ford Courier kit has two of each of the current hollow tires with Firestone Super Stones lettering.