Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

13 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

...Include a big and little set of either Halibrand or Cragar SS wheels with deep dish rears and I'll buy literally dozens of them.

Put three-blade knockoff centers on those Cragar S/S wheels and I'm with you...

gettyimages-155883990-612x612.jpg

51089072_2263559633929494_5413531626334322688_n.jpg

Edited by blizzy63

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

AMT 1968 Z~28 has the F-60 and L-60 tyres.

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

And, it has two sets! I just checked mine. Thanks, John.

Funny this should come up.  I just purchased another '68 Camaro at HL a couple weeks ago.  The current kits still include the 2 full sets of tires (4 bigs and 4 littles), each with "Goodyear" tampo lettering.  BUT, they no longer have the "Polyglas GT" or the size lettering anymore!

Quite surprised by that, since I've bought several previous versions of this kit, and the tires were as you both described above.  PLUS, the box art pics still show the full lettering, with the F60 and L60 size callouts!

So, really is a bit of false advertising now.  But if I'm being honest, overall these kits are still a steal (40% off $26.99 = $16.19 before tax).  And the 2 sets of tires are still nice, just not AS nice.  Just be aware that they no longer have the full lettering with sizes.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Funny this should come up.  I just purchased another '68 Camaro at HL a couple weeks ago.  The current kits still include the 2 full sets of tires (4 bigs and 4 littles), each with "Goodyear" tampo lettering.  BUT, they no longer have the "Polyglas GT" or the size lettering anymore!

Quite surprised by that, since I've bought several previous versions of this kit, and the tires were as you both described above.  PLUS, the box art pics still show the full lettering, with the F60 and L60 size callouts!

So, really is a bit of false advertising now.  But if I'm being honest, overall these kits are still a steal (40% off $26.99 = $16.19 before tax).  And the 2 sets of tires are still nice, just not AS nice.  Just be aware that they no longer have the full lettering with sizes.

i like that kit, I plan on going to Hobby Lobby this week, I wouldn’t mind building another one..

50 minutes ago, MG Brown said:

I would have expected the AMT 1288 -- "Dan Gurney Lotus" Racer to have been available by now- little or no information about it out there. Was it canceled?

At Model Roundup it's listed as an August release.

4 hours ago, MG Brown said:

I would have expected the AMT 1288 -- "Dan Gurney Lotus" Racer to have been available by now- little or no information about it out there. Was it canceled?

No, not cancelled.   It's featured in July 2022 Round 2 Product Spotlight.  It should be available in a few weeks. 

-Steve 

• Like 1

Wasn't the '75 Caprice reissue announced at some point? I can't seem to locate it.
Anyway, I never knew there was a T-top version of the car. Would make an interesting conversion.

May be an image of car and outdoors

Edited by Jon Cole

1 hour ago, Jon Cole said:

Wasn't the '75 Caprice reissue announced at some point? I can't seem to locate it.
Anyway, I never knew there was a T-top version of the car. Would make an interesting conversion.

It's branded as a 1976 Caprice and it's been out for about 2-3 weeks now.

1 hour ago, Jon Cole said:

It's not "factory" Jon.  Looks professional though. Probably one of the specialty shops that did that sort of thing back in the late '70s and early '80s like AHC and some others.

Edited by Can-Con

5 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

Ah, good old T-tops. Let the water begin to come in. I’d never consider buying a car with them, after seeing the problems they caused for just about everybody I knew who had them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, StanGlover said:

Not sure if anyone has posted about this yet, but Stevens International has the box art up for the MPC Class Action ‘80 Monte Carlo. New art, not the retro box. Still says TBA availability though. 
6215C181-2A56-4926-8B6E-9AC8BD580395.png.a34ceca52d0ed5b0df0206af6d524c8a.png

That actually looks pretty good. 

The diagonal color separation reminds me of the MPC '68-'69 annual box art.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

That actually looks pretty good. 

The diagonal color separation reminds me of the MPC '68-'69 annual box art.

Agreed! I hope they do include the O.G. Class Action decals, I think that was a cool custom look. And maybe an alternate low rider style stripe package.  
2FCEA319-61DB-4CC2-9C43-59B03EF3D723.png.5cdf7193044b38ff4041b16bb5515c0a.png

1 hour ago, StanGlover said:

I hope they do include the O.G. Class Action decals, I think that was a cool custom look. And maybe an alternate low rider style stripe package.

It's a classic for sure. Some additional Lowrider decals would be boss!

I have a stalled build of the c.2012 reissue -- I'm thinking of swapping the kit's (inaccurate) SBC for an LS/ 4L80E from the AMT Escalade.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

It's a classic for sure. Some additional Lowrider decals would be boss!

I have a stalled build of the c.2012 reissue -- I'm thinking of swapping the kit's (inaccurate) SBC for an LS/ 4L80E from the AMT Escalade.

What's wrong with the engine, John?

14 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I wonder if the Monte Carlo will come with the chopper and trailer like it did in the last (I think) issue? I have one of the RCHTA issues that has the chopper and trailer.

I can't see it not. All the other issues of this kit and the '79 had it. 

6 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

What's wrong with the engine, John?

Okay, perhaps my initial assessment is a little harsh. It's not a bad engine; not a bad representation of an SBC. However, its pulleys and belt are incorrect for later model vehicles (albeit it's no different than the SBC included in all MPC Chevrolet kits from, say, c.1967-c.1982). With that being said, it's typical MPC in that area: slim on detail. 
Certainly, those 'maladies' are easily rectified should one desire to do so (better carburetor, and some fiddling with the pulleys and belt setup).
It's just that OOB, it leaves a lot to be desired.

9 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Okay, perhaps my initial assessment is a little harsh. It's not a bad engine; not a bad representation of an SBC. However, its pulleys and belt are incorrect for later model vehicles (albeit it's no different than the SBC included in all MPC Chevrolet kits from, say, c.1967-c.1982). With that being said, it's typical MPC in that area: slim on detail. 
Certainly, those 'maladies' are easily rectified should one desire to do so (better carburetor, and some fiddling with the pulleys and belt setup).
It's just that OOB, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed, it should have an a power steering pump and a Quadrajet carb but aside from that, it's a well detailed engine with a lot of separate parts. I've always considered it, along with the MPC Elcamino and Chevy pickup engines to be some of the best SBC engines available. 

I've found that the difficult part of the kit is the underhood area though because of how the firewall, windshield and sides of the body where it all comes together is kinda tricky to get right.

• Like 2