Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

On 7/15/2022 at 11:16 AM, Can-Con said:

Agreed, it should have an a power steering pump and a Quadrajet carb but aside from that, it's a well detailed engine with a lot of separate parts. I've always considered it, along with the MPC Elcamino and Chevy pickup engines to be some of the best SBC engines available. 

I've found that the difficult part of the kit is the underhood area though because of how the firewall, windshield and sides of the body where it all comes together is kinda tricky to get right.

Tom Gaffney (IIRC) in the old SAE Magazine, used to call the SBC in the MPC Monte on of the best Small Blocks out there in model form. It beats the stuffing out of the SBC in the Trumpeter Monte Carlo, that is for sure. MPC Had some nicely tooled SBC at the end of their life.

Well, the AMT kit that I was most looking forward to personally arrived at the shop and I have one set aside for myself. All opened up it's no awful surprises and should be a fairly quick build. The highlight is easily that the wheels are both prototypical and well molded. The low light is the "refer to box art" cop out in the instructions for decal placement. All in all, though, I'm not unhappy and glad they did take the time to throw Indy fans a bone.

20220804_184611.jpg

20220804_185022.jpg

20220804_185034.jpg

20220804_185102.jpg

20220804_185116.jpg

20220804_185132.jpg

20220804_185138.jpg

20220804_185147.jpg

20220804_185208.jpg

20220804_185221.jpg

20220804_185227.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like it is going to be a right Bugger to paint, though. 

And the decals look to be just barely adequate. Two piece tires may be the only way to get correctly shaped tires in the kit.

All'n'All not an easy or beginner kit. I hope your build goes well.

😃

• Thanks 1

The original vinyl tires in the Indy car kits were one-piece and had tread detail but no sidewall lettering.  The two-piece tires have nice sidewall detail but no tread.  Hopefully those are molded in black plastic, so the seam can be filled.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The original vinyl tires in the Indy car kits were one-piece and had tread detail but no sidewall lettering.  The two-piece tires have nice sidewall detail but no tread.  Hopefully those are molded in black plastic, so the seam can be filled.

They do seem to be plastic and I plan on sanding the seam smooth then painting them with AK Interactive Rubber Black like I do on armor and aircraft builds.

• Like 1

Would I be wrong to assume that many parts will need to be chrome stripped? 
Treadless tires, excess chrome parts, I don't know if I'll bite on this one. Not with so many other kits to catch my attention (what little I have)

On 8/4/2022 at 4:42 PM, Mark said:

Rear tires appear to be the same 2-piece Firestone "Bonneville" tires in the AMT/Round2 '37 Chevy Salt Shaker kit.

Tires are molded in black and the seam sands out acceptably smooth. No tread detail; More like early track racing slick.

396914_1.jpg

DSC04691.JPG

Edited by blizzy63

The original version of the two-piece AMT tires were molded in something between plastic and nylon.  Few glues would stick, tough to sand and fill seams.

Some of the pre-Round 2 Stevens International kits (like the show rods) had the two-piece slicks molded in black styrene.  Not quite as good as a vinyl slick, but much better than the "neither plastic nor vinyl" stuff from first time around.

I've understood these to be AMT race car tires, two different sizes.  Were these the original tires issued in the above kit?  The set I have came with a '60s F100.  They were presumably the larger of the two. Are these the same size as the two-piece set above?  I wouldn't mind seeing these reissued, if they were available.  (Not likely, I know).

AMT ''Indy''  IMG_0350.JPG

• Like 1

Those are the original one-piece tires from the two AMT Indy car kits.  I'm not positive, but they look like the smaller tire.  I don't have the Ford pickup kit with those tires, I sold mine many years ago.  Comparing them to the two-piece units would verify which ones they are.

Around the same time, AMT was using those tires in other kits.  I believe the original issue Fireball 500 had the smaller ones.  My Mach I concept kit has them also.  The two toy-like tractor-trailer kits had the large ones, as did at least some of the "sand dragster" kits AMT was doing at that time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

Would I be wrong to assume that many parts will need to be chrome stripped? 
Treadless tires, excess chrome parts, I don't know if I'll bite on this one. Not with so many other kits to catch my attention (what little I have)

Fumes - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high-electron  truth...

Based on the pictures I've found, the chrome headers are dead wrong and the bulk of what's chrome in the kit was unpainted aluminum of one fashion or another. Indycals does a really great resin tire set for this kit, as well as a more comprehensive upgrade set that also includes a vac-formed windscreen with the correct profile (that isn't three miles thick) and a one piece nose cone that has the correct profile. I'd considered getting this set for my build but between this is more of a basic palette cleanser between higher detailed projects (wrapping up a customer build of a Tamiya 1/48th scale G4M1 Betty and a personal build of the Bronco 1/35th Landwasserschlepper) and knowing that even with the resin I still have the kit's pretty rudimentary engine to deal with AND it's 1/25th rather than 1/20th which makes it wonky to display with my other open wheel builds. 

8 hours ago, Mark said:

Those are the original one-piece tires from the two AMT Indy car kits.  I'm not positive, but they look like the smaller tire.  I don't have the Ford pickup kit with those tires, I sold mine many years ago.  Comparing them to the two-piece units would verify which ones they are.

I think you're correct that they are the smaller one.  The larger size is really huge...  I have a Sand Hog kit that has two of the small ones and four large.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:49 PM, Jack L said:

I have a build up I did years ago it has 1 pc tires with Firestone on the sidewalls and tread detail molded in a softer rubber

I wonder if you have the IMC version of this car, because it did have some nicer tires than the AMT ones. Perry's Resin used to offer them (I know this because my copies were the masters), but I don't know if any other casters offered them.

19 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

I wonder if you have the IMC version of this car, because it did have some nicer tires than the AMT ones. Perry's Resin used to offer them (I know this because my copies were the masters), but I don't know if any other casters offered them.

will have to ck. thanks

IMC's tires were definitely better.  If they are one-piece, and have sidewall lettering, they are indeed IMC.  For the relatively few kits that company made during its brief existence, they made a bunch of different tires, most of them very well done.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:02 AM, Mark said:

Around the same time, AMT was using those tires in other kits.  I believe the original issue Fireball 500 had the smaller ones.  My Mach I concept kit has them also.  The two toy-like tractor-trailer kits had the large ones, as did at least some of the "sand dragster" kits AMT was doing at that time.

I have an original issue Fireball 500 and I can confirm it did come with the smaller Indy car tires you mentioned. I'm running a pair on the back of this AMT Deuce. I wish Round2 would/could find or clone the 'implement' tires I have on the front.

spacer.png

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mark said:

IMC's tires were definitely better.  If they are one-piece, and have sidewall lettering, they are indeed IMC.  For the relatively few kits that company made during its brief existence, they made a bunch of different tires, most of them very well done.

Did any of these IMC tires resurface during the Lindberg ownership, and if the tooling is usable would it be a good move for Round-2 to use them on future re-releaes of selected ex amt/mpc kits?